Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

1992 Chevy Lumina

Tell me if it is easy to install carseats in?
    Hubby is looking at selling is 92' Nissan Sentra(getting ready to die) and buying his friend's 92' Lumina.

It would mainly be his work car. Honestly, the boys have never driven in his Nissan sentra in the 2 years we have had it.

Are these pretty safe? It is all we can afford right now(getting it dirt cheap). We may pick it up tomorrow night.

Michael would be in a booster in this car
    Logan would be in his Graco Nautilus or FPSVD

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Re: 1992 Chevy Lumina

The Lumina's IIHS frontal crash test scores are Good, and no side impact tests were done by IIHS (probably because it pre-dated the IIHS vehicle side impact crash testing program) according to the IIHS rating page for the Lumina: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=367

IIRC, my MIL's '90 or '91 Lumina had fairly long seatbelt buckle stalks that could require some twisting depending on what harnessed carseat you're installing, although her ownership of that car pre-dates when we had kids and seats to install in it first hand. I'm not sure if the '92 model has long seatbelt buckle stalks or not. I found one previous thread with some details about installs in the '92 Lumina that can help you out a bit:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=60407
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

CPS Fanatic

Thank you Thank you! This is what I was wondering. :-)
    For the price we can't pass this deal up.

Dunno about the crash ratings, but I know that MIL had a newer one (1999? ish?) and the seatbelts were forward of the bight on long webbing "stalks" and were a BEAST to deal with for installing seats with.

The only seats I found that I could get installed in that stupid car were the FPSE, and Britax seats with the built in lock-offs...I couldn't get anything with a normal locking clip in right. Oh, and even then those seats took wrestling with to get them in right.
    ~Mel, Ex-CPST, Triathlete & Mom of 5ReiKids + 1E!!!

It will have locking latchplates (almost all GM vehicles of that era have them), so installing seats shouldn't be difficult.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley