Need Convertible Car Seat Recomendation

S

skelley12

Need to get a covertible car seat for our 4 month old. She is in the 95th percentile for growth and is only 3 inches away from growing out of her infant carrier (length wise).

We are looking at the 3 car seats that consumer's rated:

Evenflo Triumph (overall score 81)
Britax Roundabout (overall score 81)
Britax Marathon (overall score 58)

I don't like the lower score of the Britax Marathon, but it is the taller of the two Britax car seats. Consumer's didn't like the infant latch system on the Marathon.

My fear is that with her being tall, she will grow out of the Britax Roundabout before she turns 2, since it is the shorter version.

Please help. Does anyone have any recomendations that has a taller baby?

ADS

abigaylebelle

First, you can probably disregard the ratings given by Consumer Reports, as it is really subjective. I tend to agree with you about the roundabout because your daughter is taller than average, she will likely outgrow that seat earlier than 40lbs. I have had even tall two and three year olds fit though, so if you really wanted it just know that you might need a larger seat to get her to booster age. The marathon would be an excellent choice for your daughter since it is very similar to the roundabout but has a taller shell and higher weight limit.
The Evenflo Triumph is also very short in the shell, but the Evenflo Triumph Advance is about the same height as the marathon. It has knob adjustments on the side for tightening the harness so try that out to make sure you like it before buying. Happy shopping!

Maedze

Consumer Reports is a complete waste of time when it comes to child restraints. Their recommendations are based on inaccurate information and as a general rule they are not trustworthy. Don't ever go to CR for child restraint advice!

The Roundabout, as you noted, would be an inappropriate choice for your child because it is so short shelled. The Marathon would be better (by the way, the LATCH connectors on the Marathon are one of the better designed systems I've ever seen on a CRS!)

However, given your child's size, I'd recommend the First Years True Fit or the Graco MyRide. The True Fit has the tallest shell on the market and the MyRide has the highest rearfacing weight on the market. Both should get you at least two years rearfacing. Because rearfacing is the safest way to travel, choosing a seat that will allow the longest is imperative :)

Mama Jo

Like the PP said, disregard the "scores"... there's nothing factual or scientific behind them.

I'd rule out the Roundabout (RA). It's definitely shorter than the Marathon (MA) and will be grown out of much more quickly.

The MA is a great seat. It's one of the most "popular" on this board (as in, most widely owned.)

Regarding the Evenflo seat, I'd look instead at the Evenflo Triumph Advance (EFTA). I have fallen in love with this seat. My 5.5 year old still fits in it with a couple of inches to grow height-wise. And she's right at the height limit of the Britax Boulevard (BV) which has the same shell as the MA. This seat is super easy to adjust the height of the harness as well as the tightness.

Another seat to consider is the First Years TrueFit (TF). The TF also has a higher shell than the MA and tends to last a little longer height-wise.

Also, what kind of infant seat are you currently using, and what is your little one's weight and torso measurement (butt to shoulder). The height limit on the seat is more of a guideline, rather than a set-in-stone rule. The child must have one inch between the top of the head and the shell of the seat. Oftentimes you have to pull back the cover to get an accurate measurement and see where shell actually is.

If you can last another month or so in the infant seat, there's a new TF coming out with an anti-rebound bar that people are very excited about...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC