Need new AWD *today* 30K or less...

pastrygirl

My car needs very pricey, unexpected repairs, so we're buying a new car. Possibly this week. I plan to test drive a few today. What's on your list? New (my husband won't buy used), must have AWD, electronic stability control, leather, and hopefully be 30K or less. Will have two kids in car seats after this baby is born; unlikely that we'll have a third.

I'm thinking about:
Subaru Forester
Ford Taurus X
Toyota Sienna

Anything else? I like the Chevy Traverse, etc., but think it might be too big for me. We do a big trip once a year, and so far all of our stuff fits into my husband's Audi wagon. No pets or anything.

Thanks!

ADS

swtgi1982

First thing to consider, do you have the seat you will be using for the baby??? If so take it with you to see if it will fit in the car. Nothing worse then buying a car to find out your baby's car seat will not fit. Take it with you and try to install it to see if it fits. Most dealers understand this (but most do not allow the kids in the car for test drives).

hope this helps!

DahliaRW

You probably won't find a new awd sienna for under 30k, but you can for slightly over. We just bought one and LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

pastrygirl

First thing to consider, do you have the seat you will be using for the baby??? If so take it with you to see if it will fit in the car. Nothing worse then buying a car to find out your baby's car seat will not fit. Take it with you and try to install it to see if it fits. Most dealers understand this (but most do not allow the kids in the car for test drives).

hope this helps!
I don't have an infant seat yet, but plan to take my car (new or old) to BRU in July or August to find the seat that fits the best. :)

TerisBoys

Chevy Equinox is another - slightly smaller than the Taurus X.

Very roomy backseat - I had one for a rental this past winter and easily fit my boys in with room side to side and plently of legroom for Josh.

I did *not* try installing any seats in there. The Nauti would've been too wide for 3 across, so we used the Vivo or SR/C depending on how many kidlets I had at the time.

pastrygirl

I test drove the Ford Taurus X and the Subaru Forester X and XT. I LOVED the Taurus X!!!!! But my husband won't go for it: mostly because it's a Ford, and because the Forester's AWD is tried and true on our driveway from hell.

I don't know what to do! The Forester seemed so ho-hum compared to the Taurus X. But this is the last model year of the TX and it apparently has the worst resale value of all the cars in that category.

capeKO71

Saturn OUtlook (or the buick/chevy/GMC Acadia models that are the same).

My AWD Outlook was 28K w/ DVD player.

And you'll probably get a killer deal right now with the state of affairs at GM.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Most dealers understand this (but most do not allow the kids in the car for test drives).

Wow I would never buy from a dealer that had a problem with kids on test drives.:eek: I have been on over 40 test drives and have never had a problem with taking my kid with me thank goodness!

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Chevy Equinox is another... The Nauti would've been too wide for 3 across.

I actually had my DNi's SS1 and DS's Nautilus side-by-side in my sister's Equinox this Spring. It was a VERY tight fit, but they were both in there securely. :thumbsup:

Wow I would never buy from a dealer that had a problem with kids on test drives.:eek: I have been on over 40 test drives and have never had a problem with taking my kid with me thank goodness!

Yeah, I've never heard of a dealer objecting to kids on a test drive. From what I've seen, they're all too eager to get the whole family in cuz it allows the salesperson to distract more easily and only answer easy questions. Plus, more people to fall in love with the car and pressure the primary decision maker(s).

Objecting to an overnight test drive is another issue. That's rare from what I've seen, no matter which manufacturer.

MustangMama

Wow me neither!! Our next test drive is going to be the new 2010 Chevy Camaro and if they have a problem with my lugging my huge car seat I would probably tell them where to stick it!!

I have never had a problem test driving with a car seat.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I bet you could get the base Highlander Hybrid AWD under 30k right now, given the low gas prices and down auto market. You'll be happy you did when oil is back at $4!

pastrygirl

Well... I ended up buying an '09 Forester! Subaru AWD is tried and true for my driveway; I'm too chicken to try out a different AWD. I don't want winter to come, along with the 5-inch-thick layer of ice that forms on my driveway, and regret my summer car purchase.

I'm too tired to install my RN in it, but the FF MA fits just fine. Will play more another day!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC