How often are scales wrong?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
We went to Ilana's check up this morning and AJ always has to weigh himself. :) He was almost 39# w/ all his clothes and shoes on! I'm thinking it's wrong since he was 36.5# a few wks ago at another appt (different scale). Now I'm all paranoid though b/c we only have one seat that harnesses past 40# so that means he pretty much can't go in anyone's car but mine (Dh sometimes takes him places in his truck) b/c there's no way he can use a booster yet. We're getting him a Regent at tax time and there's no way to get it earlier. Still, then we're giving his seat to Evan so he's stuck w/ me still. I guess I didn't think about that. I don't forsee him being able to sit well in a booster for a long time so I might have to break down and get a seat from maybe someone here (anyone want to sell a seat in February? lol) to put in DH's truck or put the Radian in there and use the other seat for Evan. Ugh! My baby is too big!

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Was it at different times of the day? Had he just eaten? Had he not gone to the bathroom?? All those can affect weight. But yeah, stick him on a diet! :p Just in case!

I weighed my new daycare baby when he started...he was 21lbs at 8mo. Now a month later, I'm getting 24lbs! WOW...guess I feed em good! LOL Problem in, mom's bucket only goes to 22lbs...and she had planned on putting him in a ff harnessed booster. :eek: I told her about the Scenera...and I don't know if she'll go for it. If she does, I know she won't rf him beyond 12mo. :( I told her in my car, he'll rf till he's 2! Sorry...kinda got off on a different direction there! LOL

abacus2

Kids and adults can fluctuate some in weight and clothes/shoes can vary in weight as well. I feel your pain; I just have one higher weight seat for my daughter who weighed in on Grandma's doctor style scale at 39 lbs about a month ago. Her daddy would really like to be able to take her places in "his" car, but financially it's not reasonable for us to spend $100-$200 that's not absolutely necessary. So we're making do with switching cars. Maybe you could weigh him once a week and quit using the 40 lb seats once he weighs in at more than 40 lbs on two different scales. After that weigh him occasionally just to see if he's slimmed down some. The least expensive higher weight options I see available now are at Albee Baby where the FP Safe Voyage Deluxe in black is on sale for $149.99 and the Apex in Red is on sale for $99.99.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I think I'll weigh him this weekend at my aunt's house, her scale has always been right before. lol I just get paranoid w/ that 40# mark coming close that he'll cross it and I won't know. :) At least I know Evan won't get close to any rfing limits anytime soon. He's feeling heavier though, so maybe 25# now? Even in the old RA he's in now, that's 5# before turning and 8# when he moves into the Radian.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Those are great prices! I might have to pass that link to others. W/ all this entended harness fuss going on now I bet those will go FAST! Thanks!

Yoshi

My husband is a real stickler about just this kind of issue- instrument calibration!!! He would be able to explain it to you but the dr's offices scales never seem right to me, either, and he told me that unless they re-calibrate it regularly it can be like 10% off!!! Different scales can and do give you different results, too. We found a good quality digital scale for home use- calibrated it according to the instructions, and were more confident with that result. When our daughter was an infant, we used it (holding her) and it was always exactly the same as our office's infant scale- which never was giving crazy results like their standing scale does. We even use it for our overweight cats to check if they are holding steady!!!!

LuvBug

could it be the clothes also? With the change in weather and all. DS weighs 38.5lbs fully clothed in his summer/fall clothing and shoes, but in his winter clothes he weighs 40.5lbs. This is cotton pants, cotton tshirt, and foam sandals versus lined jeans, long sleaves, socks and boots though.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Lol! Where were you the other day? :) It turns out his clothes and shoes do weigh 2#! I guess if worse comes to worse, I can take his shoes off and that gives him about 2.5-3# before he outgrows the harness then. Whew! I guess it's just not a comforting thought to think eventually (no matter how old) that he will have to ride in a booster. hahaha

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC