Which of these SUVs would be the best fit for infant twins?

• Thread starter Expectant father of twins
  • Start date

Dillipop

Whichever infant seat you choose, the Britax Marathon is a great choice for the next step. It fits surprisingly well in a variety of vehicles, small and large, rfing and ffing. I can easily get my marathon rearfacing in my elantra, with plenty of room for the front passenger. Since your children will be larger when going into the marathon (after ourgrowing the infant seat), the convertible can be as upright as 30 deg. With the marathon more upright, I can't see it not fitting in almost any vehicle. It also seems that with the taller shell, it hits differently than a smaller seat and meshes well with the front seat.

Ideally, you will try out the seats you want in your vehicle before purchasing. Wait until the twins are almost ready to outgrow their infant seats and then buy the convertible. Carseats expire 6-8 years from date of manufacture, so you want to buy when you need it, not before.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the fit of the marathon in a smaller vehicle.

ADS

twinsmom

I feel like I'm asking a lot of questions our of ignorance, and if I could get a baseline level of knowledge first, I'd probably be able to ask some more targeted/educated questions rather than nagging you guys all the time.

I'm fairly new here too, but I really don't think you need to apologize for asking lots of questions. That's what this board is for! There are tons of very knowledgable people on here, as you found out, and I think most of them really enjoy answering these questions. So, ask away!

Also, so sorry about your possible diagnosis. What bad timing - although what would be a good time? I have a few family members with MS, and my DH has a different neuro/muscular disease. All have found ways to deal with the illness and live full lives. I'm sure you will too.:)

I'm anticipating that our babies will be on the smaller side as well, being that my wife is only 5'1" and we're both of Asian descent.

FWIW, my twins were 6 lb 15 oz, 20.5" and 6 lb 6 oz, 20.25" at birth and both DH (6'2") and I (5'3") are of Asian descent. They came home in SnugRides but I'll have to admit that our hospital staff weren't really stringent on how well they fit the seats, probably because we lived about 4 blocks from the hospital (because of the barriers and 1-way streets, it was much shorter distance and almost faster to walk to the hospital than drive, and DH & I actually walked to the hospital when I delivered b/c I was induced at 41 weeks. He did bring the car when it was time to take the babies home, though;))

Best wishes for good health you and your wife and a healthy pg/delivery

autumnlily

Hey there fellow night owl West Coaster! Yeah the MS thing sucks all around, I've had ongoing "electrical" pains and other problems, trying not to dwell on it though because I don't want to stress my wife and ruin what should be a beautiful time for her.

If you don't mind my asking, what car seats did you ultimately take your newborns home from the hospital in? I'm anticipating that our babies will be on the smaller side as well, being that my wife is only 5'1" and we're both of Asian descent.

Money isn't a big issue, we're just your regular middle class folks, but a few hundred bucks for car seats is money well spent if it'll benefit our babies. If it could help to move from an infant seat to a small convertible to a large convertible then that's something we'll consider for sure. So I'll definitely read up some more on the options for convertible seats. Man I never knew there was this much to think about when it came to car seats :p

By the way, are there any objective websites that you folks could suggest for educating myself more on car seats in general? I feel like I'm asking a lot of questions our of ignorance, and if I could get a baseline level of knowledge first, I'd probably be able to ask some more targeted/educated questions rather than nagging you guys all the time.

EDIT:
Scratch that last bit, I must be slow, just found the "Carseat Basics" link at the top of this very website. Will give that a good read first.

We took our twins home in Britax Companions - but honestly, I did not love them. I'm certain there are better infant seats with 3 height slots that cost less too. Don't be afraid to ask for twin discount. If you are in the Oregon area - there is a store Segals for Children that offer 10% twin discount. So does Babies R Us - but you have to ask!

The only reason I keep pushing the "compact convertible" option is because - if money is a smaller factor in the big picture - the convenience is awesome. I have a 2007 Sienna and cannot see over or around our Marathons in the RF position (unless I have the seats at a full 45 degree angle and my twins at 14mo old are not thrilled with being that reclined). I'm a die hard Britax fan - but just can't handle the limited vision at this point in my vehicle. You and your wife are well under 6ft tall and I'm certain you will run into the same situation. If buying a compact convertible will save you three years of better driving visibility it is worth it in my opinion. But, I do recommend getting a larger convertible seat when A. your twins out grow the compact convertible so that you may continue to ERF as long as possible and/or B. get a larger vehicle and test drive it with a normal convertible in the 30 to 40 degree angle.

But to ease your decision making process for now - just focus on your infant seat purchase. You are not going to want to buy your convertible seats until your twins need them - otherwise they will expire sooner than you would like. So, slow down - check out infant seats (like the SafeSeat, ChicoKey fit, even baby trend has more harness heights I believe) and leave the convertible info alone until another year or so :):)

zj_papa

I would definetly suggest either the Pilot or the 4Runner, both very roomy and great handling/performing SUV's. Also both very reliable I worked at a Honda dealer and had a few friends over at the Toyota dealer that was owned by the same co. As for the ratings, just like things like Consumers Reports I believe are not always true.

chay

I've had no problems with visibility with 2 RF Marathons in the back seat of a Civic and I'm only 5'2". I did have to play with the angle a bit in the back of an Accord to help with visibility so I think it really depends on the car and driver positioning.

I love my Marathons and they are great seats for getting into tight spaces. A True Fit is another option that I've also been able to fit into small spaces. Even with the head rest on I've found it takes up comparable space to a Marathon when both are installed at their most upright angle (for a toddler). It has a removable head rest so it is smaller for the younger ones.

Heather98012

One other option would be the Mercedes Benz R class. It has 3 rows that can actually be used by adults (in case grandparents come along), second row captain's chairs for ease of getting to the 3rd row (although you can get a bench seat in the second row as an option), if you have the 3rd row down, you have plenty of room for strollers, etc (although not a ton with the 3rd row up), & it has either love it or hate it looks. I love it. Kinda like a bigger Pacifica.

It drives like a DREAM. I adore it. Also comes in a diesel version, & has much better MPG with the diesel. The one downfall is that the rear doors are HUGE. Which makes entering & exiting very easy, but it could be a problem finding a parking spot where you aren't gonna ding the car next to you while getting the kiddos in & out. Something to think about.

I've always said I would never drive a mini van. But...& well, I only have one kid....I now am lusting after sliding doors. Also take a look at a Mazda5. It's doesn't look quite as minivan ish, but more like a small wagon on steriods (think a Subaru Forrester on 'roids!), but still has the sliding doors.

If I were having twins, I'd have to have sliding doors. At least for the first 3-4 years. But, if you want a SUV, check out the Benz R class as well. Or my other votes would be the Volvo or MDX...both are just excellent choices.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC