Mazda 5, Honda Fit, Toyota Matrix?

kangato2roos

We're shopping for a new-to-us car. We're not planning to buy until next February, but I obsessively research everything as far in advance as possible. I like to know all the nitty gritty details. So I've gotten all the info I can from the dealers, the websites, and the official forums of these vehicles. Now I'd like some opinions from carseat minded people who own one. Please tell me anything and everything you love/hate/are indifferent to in regards to your vehicle (especially if it pertains to how it works with carseats).

My fascination with the Toyota Matrix I will admit is purely geeky. It's the car they use in the tv show Chuck and I fell in love with the Nerd Herders (I wants one). Not really the best reason to go after a vehicle, but I just can't knock it out of the running yet. The Honda Fit seems to offer the most headroom for my husband, so that's high on the list. The Mazda 5 is my dream vehicle, and I didn't even realize it. I love love love minivans but hate the gas mileage and overall bulkiness. This gives me a little from both the world of the minivan and the world of the car without being wholly either. So there you go.

My situation first: I have two children and we are not planning any more. I do not often drive with another child, though on the few occasions I do, I generally only have one of my kids with me so a carseat shuffle isn't a big deal. I do have an extra adult to fit in a vehicle for about a week at a time every 2-3 months.

I'm incredibly short with very short legs (4'10" optimistically and probably should be using a booster). My husband is very tall with very long legs (6'2"). We need a vehicle that can accommodate both a tiny driver and a large driver equally.

My kids are like me... tiny. Both will be in carseats of some sort for a very very long time. My oldest is (almost) 8 years old and is about 44 pounds (give or take) and 46.5 inches tall with a 16in torso. She's currently in a high back Turbobooster. I've considered putting her in a Nautilus, but she sits well in a booster and is old/mature enough, even if she's tiny.

My youngest is 3 years 8 months old. He's 37.5 inches tall and anywhere from 29-32 pounds. Because he fluctuates so much and so close to 33 pounds, he's forward facing in his Marathon (older model, only goes to 33lbs rf and I'm afraid he'll push over one day without me noticing). I'm seriously considering ordering a MyRide65 for him to turn him back rear-facing, but he has a roughly 14 inch torso (give or take) and I need to see him in the seat before I will do so.

So there you go. Help me out. What do you like/dislike about your vehicle? I want your love stories and your horror stories!

ADS

southpawboston

we have a mazda3 and almost bought a mazda5 instead (we chose the 3 simply because it was so much more sporting to drive). but if we were buying a car tomorrow, it would be a mazda5. we love small cars and the honda fit is a terrific little car (our friends with two kids have one and have plenty of space for stuff!). however, it's nice to have the 3rd row, even occasionally, when transporting other kids to/from playdates, school, etc. as your kids get older, you may start to feel the need for that third row.

the matrix would be my last choice of the three you mentioned. it lacks a third row, and it lacks (IMHO) the coolness and also the crisp handling of the fit. it may look nice, but it's a major bore to drive.

Man, you really can't go wrong with any of them. They're all great cars. Glad you heard about the Mazda 5. That car so deserves more attention.

I'm not sure about the Matrix, but the Corolla is remarkably good with car seats for a smaller car. Since a Matrix is really just a Corolla wagon, I'd imagine it's great also. I'm tempted to go with a white Matrix just cuz I'm a Chuck fan too. :) It may be less fun to drive, but it's an awesome commuter car. I had a more fun to drive Civic (I'm a Honda fan). My wife called it a tin can over the smoother Corolla her brother had. Different strokes for different folks.

Pixels

My brother has an 08 Fit. Two in the back seat is fine. Squishing a third back there is, well, squishing. I had to ride next to my DD's RFing Radian with another (small) adult on the other side. It was TIGHT and not enjoyable for the half hour trip.

Installing carseats in it is easy, though. The adjustable seatback is wonderful. Recline the seat back, install the carseat, working just hard enough to get a so-so install. Then pop the seat back upright, and voila, the seat is tight.

There's not a whole lot of room for rear-facing seats. Definitely try before you buy if that's an important thing for you. The center position is okay for RFing, but outboard is short on front-to-back room.

DH and I are currently drooling over the Mazda5. That will most likely be our next vehicle.

jewlsvern

We are currently on our 3rd Mazda 5. DH works for Mazda so we get a new one every year and we love them. We always seem to go back and get the Mazda 5. We have had one continually since DD was born. I love mine. It is very easy to drive and quite convenient for carrying a lot of passengers.

I usually have 2 adults and 3 kids, one RF and 2 in boosters in mine. When DS is born I will have 2 RF and 2 in boosters. I have even rode in the 3rd row and while not something I want to do on a long trip it is not bad every once in awhile. My dad (about 280 pounds) just rode back there this weekend.

The gas mileage is great and it is easy and fun to drive. I highly recommend it.

abigaylebelle

I have an 08 Honda Fit. Love that car, I recommend the manual transmission for more pep. We have one toddler who rides rearfacing in an ss1 or roundabout, a cocker spaniel on the seat, and a cat in a carrier. The outboard positions tend to have easier installs because the center seatbelt is off centered but if you have two kids then they can both be outboard anyway. Squeezing in between two seats would require the middle person to be very slim, but I can put the britax ff and the ss1 next to it in the middle and still sit on the drivers side but I'm also a petite lady. DH and I are a little shorter than average so obviously we have tons of room, but my 6'4" brother can also drive it comfortably. The trunk is surprisingly spacious, I can put an amazing amount of stuff back there because it is so tall. As for rearfacing carseats I think a myride 65 would fit, but in the passenger position it might block your view out the side when changing lanes. I haven't tried that seat out, but I found it to be true with a rearfacing Alpha Omega with base on. The roundabout is more comfortable rearfacing than the ss1 or a marathon would be, but it is doable. Good luck with your decision!

kangato2roos

Oh goodness, none of you are helping me narrow down my options. :p

But I am glad to have such rave reviews for my choices! Thanks for ALL the input and if you have any more info, feel free to keep it coming.

Melanie

Do any of them have a telescoping steering wheel? Where it goes in & out and not just up and down. I'm also short with a tall DH and we find the best fit for both of us in cars with a telescoping steering wheel. I love that I can get the wheel away from my chest while still being able to reach the pedals.

I don't have any of them, but I'd be tempted by the Mazda. As your kids get older, you will probably be hauling friends around.

southpawboston

Do any of them have a telescoping steering wheel? Where it goes in & out and not just up and down. I'm also short with a tall DH and we find the best fit for both of us in cars with a telescoping steering wheel. I love that I can get the wheel away from my chest while still being able to reach the pedals.

i know the mazda5 and matrix have a tilt and telescoping steering wheel. the new (2009) fit has it as well, but i don't think older versions have it.

I wonder if the Mazda5 is getting a facelift anytime soon? The new 6 and 3 are gorgeous! Toyota's designers are quite good as well (cept the Camry and Solara). Honda so needs to steal those designers away.

southpawboston

I wonder if the Mazda5 is getting a facelift anytime soon? The new 6 and 3 are gorgeous! Toyota's designers are quite good as well (cept the Camry and Solara). Honda so needs to steal those designers away.

i asked a dealer this exact question just a couple of weeks ago. he indicated that, while the 3 and 6 are brand new this year, the 5 will likely remain as-is (except for very slight cosmetic tweaks) for at least two more years :(. i was looking forward to an all-new 5. however, even though the 5 is essentially unchaged since its debut in 2006, it has had improvements based on customer feedback, including a better HVAC system with rear vents, and that darned missing front passenger armrest that finally got added!!! (what were they thinking??? previous years had armrests for every seat except the front passenger's :confused:). at least mazda is listening... it was those two things that were real factors in us deciding against the 5 when we bought the 3.

mom2juliarose

I can tell you that we test drove a Matrix and a Fit and that we immediately had to rule out the Matrix. DH is 6'1" and ALL torso (he's 7 inches taller than me and we have the same inseam--30") and he had more overhead room in the Fit than in the Matrix. He was practically touching the ceiling in the Matrix.

In the end we went with a CR-V but only because we got a better deal on it than a Fit. I loved the Fit, though.

jewlsvern

i asked a dealer this exact question just a couple of weeks ago. he indicated that, while the 3 and 6 are brand new this year, the 5 will likely remain as-is (except for very slight cosmetic tweaks) for at least two more years :(. i was looking forward to an all-new 5. however, even though the 5 is essentially unchaged since its debut in 2006, it has had improvements based on customer feedback, including a better HVAC system with rear vents, and that darned missing front passenger armrest that finally got added!!! (what were they thinking??? previous years had armrests for every seat except the front passenger's :confused:). at least mazda is listening... it was those two things that were real factors in us deciding against the 5 when we bought the 3.

While the Mazda 5 does well, it is not one of Mazda's big sellers. They sell more of the 3, 6, and the SUV's. The 5 was brought over from Japan and sold here basically as it was over there. They have done a few minor adjustments but a complete over haul is down the list. The typically concentrate on one car per year. I would see them updating the CX-7 or CX-9or event he RX-8 before they touch the Mazda5. The demand for it is just not as high as their other vehicles.

southpawboston

While the Mazda 5 does well, it is not one of Mazda's big sellers. They sell more of the 3, 6, and the SUV's. The 5 was brought over from Japan and sold here basically as it was over there. They have done a few minor adjustments but a complete over haul is down the list. The typically concentrate on one car per year. I would see them updating the CX-7 or CX-9or event he RX-8 before they touch the Mazda5. The demand for it is just not as high as their other vehicles.

actually, while they may have sold more SUVs last year, it's not the case this year according to this report. basically, sales of the CX-7 and CX-9 plummeted 51 and 29%, respectively, from april 2008 to april 2009, while mazda5 sales only dropped 6%.

april 2009 sales of mazda5s were higher than for either SUV. it comes in 3rd in sales after the 3 and 6.

whether or not this trend will continue, is anybody's guess. with the obama administrations tough new auto standards just announced, it might just kill the SUV once and for all.

since the 5 has been around unchanged longer than the CX-7 or CX-9, i would expect to see an overhaul of the 5 sooner than those others. then again, i'm not an industry insider so this is really just speculation on my part.

jewlsvern

actually, while they may have sold more SUVs last year, it's not the case this year according to this report. basically, sales of the CX-7 and CX-9 plummeted 51 and 29%, respectively, from april 2008 to april 2009, while mazda5 sales only dropped 6%.

april 2009 sales of mazda5s were higher than for either SUV. it comes in 3rd in sales after the 3 and 6.

whether or not this trend will continue, is anybody's guess. with the obama administrations tough new auto standards just announced, it might just kill the SUV once and for all.

since the 5 has been around unchanged longer than the CX-7 or CX-9, i would expect to see an overhaul of the 5 sooner than those others. then again, i'm not an industry insider so this is really just speculation on my part.

My DH works for mazda corporate and this is what he has been told. Most execs at corporate are not too fond of the Mazda 5 and it keeps getting put on the back burner. Most likely because sales of the SUV's have dropped they would do an overhaul to attract more business.

They may not like it, but these are the same ones infatuated with the suvs and grudgingly putting out the cars. Obama's new mileage law is gonna force them to push cars like the 5, whether they like it or not.

southpawboston

They may not like it, but these are the same ones infatuated with the suvs and grudgingly putting out the cars. Obama's new mileage law is gonna force them to push cars like the 5, whether they like it or not.

the irony that i see is that here in the "land of the free", where you can supposedly get anything you want, the mazda5 is the only car in its segment (micro-minivan). okay, there's also the kia rondo, but it's a kia. ;) i was shocked to see how many choices europeans have in this segment of vehicle. every automaker sells something along the lines of the mazda5, just not in this country (volkswagen, honda, toyota, renault, citroen all make their own versions of a tiny 6-seater).

the irony that i see is that here in the "land of the free", where you can supposedly get anything you want, the mazda5 is the only car in its segment (micro-minivan). okay, there's also the kia rondo, but it's a kia. ;) i was shocked to see how many choices europeans have in this segment of vehicle. every automaker sells something along the lines of the mazda5, just not in this country (volkswagen, honda, toyota, renault, citroen all make their own versions of a tiny 6-seater).

and wagons, and diesels, etc. Europe and Japan is total eye candy for car nuts. I don't understand America's hatred of hatches, except when attached to a SUV. An SUV is just a raised wagon!!! Yet a wagon or hatch is a pariah over here for some reason.

jewlsvern

The plans for the overhaul of cars is made years in advance. They have everything already planned out to 2011-2012. This may be coming down the road but I don't see it happening quite so soon. The auto manufacturers will highly protest as most have plans already in the works.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC