4 year and 40" DD in MR65-pic heavy

fyrfightermomma

I know it's old news, but everyone likes seeing kids in new seats :)

I wanted this seat for our long trips this summer becuase I need good SIP, good sleep support, a lot of recline, and according to my DD cupholders. This seat fits the bill so we are getting it but using it FFing only. I went to BRU today and they had a ton and I had a 15% off coupon so I got the thing for like $130. Not bad. I'll probably sell it on CL after our vacations are done. I can't see ever using this as a regular FFing seat, and while I love the leg room and how easy it is to adjust while RFing, I can't see huffing my 35 lb child into it RFing. Maybe if she hits 35 lbs soon I'll consider it though.

I know people mentioned they were happy the harness adjuster wasn't buried RFing, but mine was :confused: It was easy to tighten but not easy to get at to loosen.

I also saw it said no harness covers or toddler head pillow after 40 lbs. Wonder why. Anyone have a clue?

My first impression is the thing is a brute. :eek: The base is pretty high. It did remind me a lot of huffing my kid into the Recaro convertibles we used to have and how hard it was to buckle while RFing and FFing (cause you don't fit between the doorway and the seat). However, while it sat pretty high up it did NOT have the leg room issues of the Recaro's. Plenty of leg support both FFing and RFing.

My 2nd impression...holy recline batman! That thing is like at a 40 degree angle forward facing. The ball is in the green for both RFing and FFing and they look to be about the same angle. I also couldn't seem to get it flush with my seat. It was like balancing off the seat and not touching on the bottom of the MR65 or the back. I slid it towards the front of the car and it sat better but then the recline was more pronounced.

The splitter plate and loops of harness are confusing but i figured it out. For the life of me I couldn't figure out the recline foot. But I eventually did.

DD likes it alot. She seems to have about 2-2 1/2 inches above her head RFing and maybe 2-3" of harness height left FFing. Looks like she would outgrow it RFing and FFing at the same time.

It's kinda weird. I've never had to mess with a seat to get it more upright FFing before! :p

She is normal height for her age.

She is almost 4, 40" and 25 lbs.

100_2228.jpg

100_2229-1.jpg

100_2230.jpg

100_2231.jpg

You can't see me!
100_2232.jpg

100_2233.jpg

100_2234.jpg

100_2236.jpg

Impressed with the leg room though. This is what her legs looked like in the MA around age 2. My DD2 who just turned 2 and has short legs is more cramped than this in the MA so she'd have plenty of room. She is 40" but ALL legs
100_2237-1.jpg

100_2238.jpg

100_2241.jpg

100_2242-1.jpg

ADS

Maedze

That is shocking how much room she has.

I'm hemming and hawing about getting one for DD, but I think I'm going to. I wish mine would hurry up and get here so I can see how much grow room she has.

fyrfightermomma

That is shocking how much room she has.

I'm hemming and hawing about getting one for DD, but I think I'm going to. I wish mine would hurry up and get here so I can see how much grow room she has.

I think this may be one of those phantom seats like the CS and SS2 (is it just Graco seats?) :confused:

I saw a pic in another thread-the poster with the son charlie. (sorry forgot your name!) He's 22 months and has about the same size torso as Evelyn yet had much less room. Evelyn is about 14.5" torso and is about 5-6" overall taller.

Then I saw another poster with a 38" child(so still shorter) and had way less growing room.

yet my kiddo who is normal height for her age (40-50% I think) has tons of rooms. She easily could get to 5-6 in this seat heightwise RFing I think. She's got a couple inches to go. It's just so strange how different kids fits sooo differently. It goes to show overall height really doesn't matter when they make the limits.

We do like it, and maybe if I get used to I can learn to like it RFing. I really want DD2 to RF as long as DD1 did but the weight is the problem. She has almost 2 years to go! We RF'd DD1 until 3y9m so I'd like to get close to 4 with Sophie as well. We shall see!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, I'm GREEN with envy... Though maybe Leah would fit with more room in the car or something? I need to haul that seat out to my van and check, because her head was AT the top of the seat in the store. :p

Wow, it looks SO comfy! Don't you love the leg support???? :)

fyrfightermomma

Oh, I'm GREEN with envy... Though maybe Leah would fit with more room in the car or something? I need to haul that seat out to my van and check, because her head was AT the top of the seat in the store. :p

Wow, it looks SO comfy! Don't you love the leg support???? :)

Evelyn had about an inch in the store and WAYYY more when it was installed. Give it a shot! I do love the leg support both FFing and RFing. She looks all comfy and wrapped up in it :)

stephie1012

wow she has alot of room!!! u have given me hope that DD can fit Rfing, shes 40" as well...guess i gotta just try it out!

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Now I'm super tempted to try DS1 in it. He's 4.5 and about 38'' with a 13.5 inch torso. I could get it and RF him for the next 6 months or so. I'm planning on buying one for my brother's boy anyway who is 28lbs at 8 months.

Ok, now I am going to try it in my car. She has the same room as Logan FF, but logan has less room RF(maybe it was the Babies R US bench?).

Thanks for the pics. Now, I think I may take Logan there tonight and try it in my van ;-)

ZephyrBlue

:thumbsup: That does look like a fantastic FF road-trip seat! Wish we'd had one when we drove 14 hrs each way to San Diego- DS was miserable in his GN!

Great pics! :)

stjemmes

Is it just me or does this seat just seem so bulky? It really seem like an odd sized seat to me.

Besides that your DD looks like she has a good amount of room in it.

MomE

Is it just me or does this seat just seem so bulky? It really seem like an odd sized seat to me.

Besides that your DD looks like she has a good amount of room in it.

From the pics I'm wondering the same thing!

Has anyone posted a side by side or comparison with a True Fit yet? Sorry if I missed it. I had my head swimming trying to pick a seat this weekend!

Momof4Girls

I think this may be one of those phantom seats like the CS and SS2 (is it just Graco seats?) :confused:

I don't know...My older 2 girls have the same torso measurements (within half an inch), and my oldest's head was right at the top of the seat, whereas my almost 5 y/o right at 40lbs dd2 had a couple inches over her it.

My younger 2 girls also have the same torso, within half an inch. And still, dd4 looked tiny in the seat, dd3 still had a lot of space over her head, but not nearly as much as dd4.

DD1: 16-16.5" torso, standing height, 46-47"
DD2: 16" torso, standing height, 42"
DD3: 11-11.5" torso, standing height, 35. 7/8"
DD4: 11" torso, standing height, 30.5"

So, go figure. It does seem to be a phantom seat.

Shaunam

I'm loving that ff'ing recline. It looks like it would be awesome for kids like DD. She looks as reclined in it as DD does rf'ing in her EFTA.

fyrfightermomma

I'm loving that ff'ing recline. It looks like it would be awesome for kids like DD. She looks as reclined in it as DD does rf'ing in her EFTA.

Yep. Both RFing and FFing were about 40 degrees and the ball was in the "green" for both. I couldn't figure out how to make it more upright! So I totally love this seat for the support and recline it will give my daughter. She has a very hard time with very upright seats, especially driving anymore than an hour. She actually slouches so bad she's had bruises in her groin after a long trip from pressing so hard on the buckle :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC