Suggestions for very large autistic man

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have a friend who is looking for a car restraint for her son. He is an adult, and he is 190 lbs. He is autistic and on his good days sits right in the car-- but he has to go to therapy even on the bad days... She needs a way to keep him safer in the car.

So far I've suggested that she contact EZ-On and see if they can make a custom, higher weight limit restraint for him. I don't know if they can because of the tether limitations, but perhaps it's a possibility, won't know until she asks, right?

Does anyone more well-versed in the options than I am know of anything that can accomodate a large (not heavier than normal for his size, but just really large) adult man who needs additional restraint in the car?

ADS

Evolily

I'm wondering if EZ on can make some sort of harness as sort of a prepositioner, to be used in addition to the lap/shoulder belt? I think that's her best bet. I know you can have adult size 4 and 5 points installed as an aftermarket, but I don't think they are designed with special needs people in mind. EZ-ons weight limit is 168 lbs, so he's really not that high over it, so I hope they can figure out something!

The options for kids with disabilities is growing in leaps and bounds, but the options for adults seem pretty stagnate :( . That goes for both car safety and services. Good luck to your friend!!!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be if they have a vehicle seating position with the kind of seatbelt with two buckles. They could use a 86-Y for positioning/passive restraint ONLY and thread just the lap only portion of the belt through the loops of the harness. If they have a normal lap/shoulder belt, the lap and shoulder belt would have to go through the loops together and the shoulder belt cannot be in the proper position.

Disclaimer: this a completely untested idea. Just brainstorming possible solutions to propose to EZon.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Thanks for the ideas. I hear the folks at EZ-On are GREAT with unique situations so hopefully they'll have an idea or two for her...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC