Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Suggestions for very large autistic man

I have a friend who is looking for a car restraint for her son. He is an adult, and he is 190 lbs. He is autistic and on his good days sits right in the car-- but he has to go to therapy even on the bad days... She needs a way to keep him safer in the car.

So far I've suggested that she contact EZ-On and see if they can make a custom, higher weight limit restraint for him. I don't know if they can because of the tether limitations, but perhaps it's a possibility, won't know until she asks, right?

Does anyone more well-versed in the options than I am know of anything that can accomodate a large (not heavier than normal for his size, but just really large) adult man who needs additional restraint in the car?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

Re: Suggestions for very large autistic man

I'm wondering if EZ on can make some sort of harness as sort of a prepositioner, to be used in addition to the lap/shoulder belt? I think that's her best bet. I know you can have adult size 4 and 5 points installed as an aftermarket, but I don't think they are designed with special needs people in mind. EZ-ons weight limit is 168 lbs, so he's really not that high over it, so I hope they can figure out something!

The options for kids with disabilities is growing in leaps and bounds, but the options for adults seem pretty stagnate . That goes for both car safety and services. Good luck to your friend!!!
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be if they have a vehicle seating position with the kind of seatbelt with two buckles. They could use a 86-Y for positioning/passive restraint ONLY and thread just the lap only portion of the belt through the loops of the harness. If they have a normal lap/shoulder belt, the lap and shoulder belt would have to go through the loops together and the shoulder belt cannot be in the proper position.

Disclaimer: this a completely untested idea. Just brainstorming possible solutions to propose to EZon.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Thanks for the ideas. I hear the folks at EZ-On are GREAT with unique situations so hopefully they'll have an idea or two for her...
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!