Will this work for DS when 6 yo

niccig

I've posted before about needing a travel seat once DS is too big for the Uptown. He's about 35lbs, 39" and 4.5 yo. I think we're good in the Uptown until the end of the year. I got a Safeguard Go that we like and will work for us here in the USA - all family we visit or rental cars have the top tether. BUT the Go will not work in my parents' cars in Australia.

I just got back from visiting them. Neither cars have top tethers, I was able to install a tether in one car, but it's outboard and the shoulder/seat belt does not lock and I don't think I can use a locking clip with the Go (I'm going to call Safeguard tomorrow to ask). But that car has low seatbacks, in the Uptown DS's head is about even with the top of the seatback, and the Uptown sticks above the seat by 2". I don't think there will be much height for the Go.

We'll probably visit next when DS is 6 years old and hopefully 40lbs. Could we move to a booster for the Australia trip?

*I can either buy a booster here and take it with us every time - it would have to be checked, or take the bottom as carry-on and put the back in a suitcase. Maybe the Parkway 120 if it works.

* I could buy a cheaper booster like the Turbo booster and leave it there with them, we visit about once every 12-18 months. So, it'll only get used on 3 or 4 visits, but each visit is for 2-4 weeks.

* I can buy an Australian booster with the anti-submarine clip. This booster costs about $150 USD (depends on exchange rate) http://www.britax.com.au/Websites/B...d Car Seats-Hi-Liner with Anti-Submarine Clip Some of the boosters allow a harness like an ezy-on harness to turn the booster into a 4pt seat. And if there are not anti-submarine clips here by then, I will want to bring this booster back to the USA.

* I am hoping to find a small Rider Safe Travel vest on swap. I'll use this for 3 across in my car and travel with taxis etc. I'm not sure about using the vest when we visit my parents. The next visit will be in the middle of their Summer and it's hot and humid, like Tampa Bay in Florida, and their car doesn't have AC. Neither of my parents like doing up the car seat buckles and my father wouldn't take DS places alone. So I can't see them managing the vest.

* we rent a car with top tethers and take the Go - that will cost us a lot of $$, but as both of my parents' cars have mechanical issues, it might be the preferable option.

WWYD if you were in my situation??

Thanks.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd buy a booster and leave it there. I think the ones we can get here are a lot taller (and cheaper? Vivo? PW120?) and you'll be able to get 5-6 years of use out of it before he'll be too tall and it expires.
Now any fantasy I had of Australia being super-progressive about carseat usage/safety has been completely dashed (no top tethers? non-locking belts? whaaat? lol)

niccig

I'd buy a booster and leave it there. I think the ones we can get here are a lot taller (and cheaper? Vivo? PW120?) and you'll be able to get 5-6 years of use out of it before he'll be too tall and it expires.
Now any fantasy I had of Australia being super-progressive about carseat usage/safety has been completely dashed (no top tethers? non-locking belts? whaaat? lol)

Thanks Jools. I'll look at boosters and figure out what to get when we go next. I'll try for one that comes apart, so that we have the bottom when DS is too tall for the high back.

And Australia does require top tethers, and newer cars have locking belts, just not the 10-15 year old models that my parents drive. I got the top tether in the 99 civic, but the 1992 Holden Fairlane has the bolts, but not the anchor. I could get the anchor installed on the next visit, but this car is very unreliable, and I don't want to drive it anyways. We may just break down and rent a car as least I'll know it'll start when I need it too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC