Take out styrofoam in Marathon?

Hi There...We received our Britax Marathon today, and underneath the cover, there are two styrofoam inserts between the plastic pieces of the seat. I'm not talking about the foam underneath the cover...this is styrofoam. It honestly looks like packing material to me...

ADS

mominabigtruck

That's supposed to be there, that's what makes the britax seats so great. It helps cushion in case of an accident instead of your kid just being pushed against the plastic seat.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
And before anyone panics...if you threw yours away like I did the first time...call Britax...they will send it out for free. You'd think with as many people who do this, they would stamp it with some kind of a warning on it! LOL

Oh, I am so glad I asked! We are having a hard time figuring out how to install it with the Latch. Is it as simple as just attaching the Latch buckles to the Latch clips on our car? What are all of the clips for on the sides?

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
The clips on the side are the built in lock offs...that is for if/when you install it with a seat belt. I've never installed with LATCH, so I can't comment on if you did it right.

My husband is out in the garage right now trying to get the seat installed. We have a 2004 Audi A4, and that seat is taking up a lot of room in there! It won't fit in the middle, rear-facing. I assume it's ok to put it outboard? We have side impact air bags and that makes me a bit nervous...

Simplysomething

652453 I'm going to sound irritating, but seriously, make sure you've read the manual for the marathon. Having one of the most recommended safety seats on the market won't do a lot of good if you don't use it properly.

Last edited:

Of course we have read the manual. I only had a question earlier about the seat, and now I was just wondering what the general consensus is on whether or not car seats should be outboard with side-impact air bags or not. :)

It does fit in the center, but my husband cannot get his seat back far enough for him to drive the vehicle if it's there.

skaterbabs

Keep in mind that Britax allows and encourages bracing the RF seat to the seat in front of it, and for an older baby it doesn't need to be at the full 45* recline.

NuggyBuggy

Here's what the foam looks like properly installed with the manual tucked under it http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y2...rrent=DCP00306.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch19

In my 2006 Canadian Marathon, I don't think there is a way I could fit the manual under the styrofoam like that, and still have the top of the styrofoam flush with the car seat. The 2 pieces of styrofoam are both the same dimensions and occupy the entire recess. So I just left the manual where I found it, i.e. flat against the base of the seat. Is that bad ?

In my 2006 Canadian Marathon, I don't think there is a way I could fit the manual under the styrofoam like that, and still have the top of the styrofoam flush with the car seat. The 2 pieces of styrofoam are both the same dimensions and occupy the entire recess. So I just left the manual where I found it, i.e. flat against the base of the seat. Is that bad ?

Ours is the same way. It actually fits into a spot in the back of the carseat.

NuggyBuggy

Could you elaborate ? I just checked and I can't find any suitable looking place. I could never figure out why that manual is connected semi-permanently to that particular spot, but it suggests to me that the manual is supposed to be near there...

Jewels

Senior Community Member

The store where I bought mine just slid it under the seat cover just above the slot in the previous post. They told me that is where it is supposed to go. It is aslo right beside the elastic that it is attched too. Mine lays flat and isn't folded.

Does that make sense?

steph

Hey I have a 2005 Audi A4 and my Britax Boulevard (same size as your Marathon) fits great in the center. The trick is to push the front seats back all the way first and then install the Marathon rearfacing with the seatbelt. The reason you put the seats all the way back is otherwise you don't know where to center it....the Marathon will actually end up fitting right between the two front seats. The downside to this is that the two outboard seats are useless because the seatbelt buckles are covered but for us that doesn't matter. Here is a pic ....let me know if you have other questions....

P.S. You can get a rock solid install with the seatbelt it just takes some muscle!!!

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
We have a 2004 Audi A4. The Wizard we have (same size as the Boulevard/Marathon) fits GREAT both RFing and FFing, though I think we put it outboard (that's not her primary vehicle and my husband often carries more than one other person in his car).

I believe we had it RFing in the middle for a while. Fit fine. I can play with it when my husband gets home, and take pictures if you need me to.

Wendy

Hey I have a 2005 Audi A4 and my Britax Boulevard (same size as your Marathon) fits great in the center. The trick is to push the front seats back all the way first and then install the Marathon rearfacing with the seatbelt. The reason you put the seats all the way back is otherwise you don't know where to center it....the Marathon will actually end up fitting right between the two front seats. The downside to this is that the two outboard seats are useless because the seatbelt buckles are covered but for us that doesn't matter. Here is a pic ....let me know if you have other questions....

P.S. You can get a rock solid install with the seatbelt it just takes some muscle!!!
Thanks! We'll have to try that tomorrow!

:)

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I think Britax gave up making the smaller foam so the manual could fit under it. I had a Marathon with a DOM from September today and there was no way I could fit the manual underneath the foam into that little spot. Just lay it flat and slip it under the gray comfort foam.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC