Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Take out styrofoam in Marathon?

Hi There...We received our Britax Marathon today, and underneath the cover, there are two styrofoam inserts between the plastic pieces of the seat. I'm not talking about the foam underneath the cover...this is styrofoam. It honestly looks like packing material to me...

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member KaysKidz's Avatar
    Nope! It's EPS foam...leave it there.
    Kay... Former CPST, Working Mom to SIX!
    25, 24, 18, 7yr, 7yr and 5yr!

Proud new 'Grammy' to Sophia 4/4/11, Kyra 12/15/11...and Elijah James 4/06/12

That's supposed to be there, that's what makes the britax seats so great. It helps cushion in case of an accident instead of your kid just being pushed against the plastic seat.

And before anyone panics...if you threw yours away like I did the first time...call Britax...they will send it out for free. You'd think with as many people who do this, they would stamp it with some kind of a warning on it! LOL

Oh, I am so glad I asked! We are having a hard time figuring out how to install it with the Latch. Is it as simple as just attaching the Latch buckles to the Latch clips on our car? What are all of the clips for on the sides?

The clips on the side are the built in lock offs...that is for if/when you install it with a seat belt. I've never installed with LATCH, so I can't comment on if you did it right.

My husband is out in the garage right now trying to get the seat installed. We have a 2004 Audi A4, and that seat is taking up a lot of room in there! It won't fit in the middle, rear-facing. I assume it's ok to put it outboard? We have side impact air bags and that makes me a bit nervous...

How won't it fit in the middle? I often have parents think that it won't when in fact it's fine.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar
    Here's what the foam looks like properly installed with the manual tucked under it http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...Anch=imgAnch19

And I bet it does seem rather huge in an Audi A4...I'd probably install it outboard with LATCH, and it doesn't have to be waaaay reclined for an older baby.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

652453 I'm going to sound irritating, but seriously, make sure you've read the manual for the marathon. Having one of the most recommended safety seats on the market won't do a lot of good if you don't use it properly.
    Last edited by Simplysomething; 11-09-2006 at 08:28 PM. Reason: spacing
    apparently, people put stuff here.
    imagine:
    photos of my extremely adorable spawn.
    their stats and a
    witty quote.

posted from my computer using the internet...
    Super SEEEEKRIT stuff here.

Of course we have read the manual. I only had a question earlier about the seat, and now I was just wondering what the general consensus is on whether or not car seats should be outboard with side-impact air bags or not.

It does fit in the center, but my husband cannot get his seat back far enough for him to drive the vehicle if it's there.

Keep in mind that Britax allows and encourages bracing the RF seat to the seat in front of it, and for an older baby it doesn't need to be at the full 45* recline.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus2 View Post
    Here's what the foam looks like properly installed with the manual tucked under it http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...Anch=imgAnch19
    In my 2006 Canadian Marathon, I don't think there is a way I could fit the manual under the styrofoam like that, and still have the top of the styrofoam flush with the car seat. The 2 pieces of styrofoam are both the same dimensions and occupy the entire recess. So I just left the manual where I found it, i.e. flat against the base of the seat. Is that bad ?

Quote Originally Posted by NuggyBuggy View Post
    In my 2006 Canadian Marathon, I don't think there is a way I could fit the manual under the styrofoam like that, and still have the top of the styrofoam flush with the car seat. The 2 pieces of styrofoam are both the same dimensions and occupy the entire recess. So I just left the manual where I found it, i.e. flat against the base of the seat. Is that bad ?

Ours is the same way. It actually fits into a spot in the back of the carseat.

Quote Originally Posted by 652453 View Post
    Could you elaborate ? I just checked and I can't find any suitable looking place. I could never figure out why that manual is connected semi-permanently to that particular spot, but it suggests to me that the manual is supposed to be near there...

Quote Originally Posted by 652453 View Post
    The store where I bought mine just slid it under the seat cover just above the slot in the previous post. They told me that is where it is supposed to go. It is aslo right beside the elastic that it is attched too. Mine lays flat and isn't folded.

Does that make sense?

Hey I have a 2005 Audi A4 and my Britax Boulevard (same size as your Marathon) fits great in the center. The trick is to push the front seats back all the way first and then install the Marathon rearfacing with the seatbelt. The reason you put the seats all the way back is otherwise you don't know where to center it....the Marathon will actually end up fitting right between the two front seats. The downside to this is that the two outboard seats are useless because the seatbelt buckles are covered but for us that doesn't matter. Here is a pic ....let me know if you have other questions....

P.S. You can get a rock solid install with the seatbelt it just takes some muscle!!!
    Last edited by steph; 10-21-2009 at 01:05 PM.
    Steph
    Mom to Ryan - 3/2006
    RF until 3 years 364 days

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar
    We have a 2004 Audi A4. The Wizard we have (same size as the Boulevard/Marathon) fits GREAT both RFing and FFing, though I think we put it outboard (that's not her primary vehicle and my husband often carries more than one other person in his car).

I believe we had it RFing in the middle for a while. Fit fine. I can play with it when my husband gets home, and take pictures if you need me to.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

Quote Originally Posted by saa2006 View Post
    Hey I have a 2005 Audi A4 and my Britax Boulevard (same size as your Marathon) fits great in the center. The trick is to push the front seats back all the way first and then install the Marathon rearfacing with the seatbelt. The reason you put the seats all the way back is otherwise you don't know where to center it....the Marathon will actually end up fitting right between the two front seats. The downside to this is that the two outboard seats are useless because the seatbelt buckles are covered but for us that doesn't matter. Here is a pic ....let me know if you have other questions....

P.S. You can get a rock solid install with the seatbelt it just takes some muscle!!!
    Thanks! We'll have to try that tomorrow!

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar
    I think Britax gave up making the smaller foam so the manual could fit under it. I had a Marathon with a DOM from September today and there was no way I could fit the manual underneath the foam into that little spot. Just lay it flat and slip it under the gray comfort foam.