Radian XT question

firemomof3

I was just reading the blog on the XT and it mentions that when a child is rf and using the 2nd harness slots you cannot use the impact wings :confused: So, in this picture I'm not using it correctly? Why?
radian002.jpg

ADS

Pixels

Technically that is correct. The manual says that the wings must be all the way at the top of the seat when the harness is in the bottom or second slots. The wings should be adjusted to just above the shoulder when on the third or higher slots. The manual makes no distinction between FFing (where the shoulders would be at or below the slots, and wings) and RFing (where the shoulders would be above the slots, and on the second slots, the child's shoulders could be very close to the headwings).

Pixels

No, I don't know. I can make a couple of guesses, though. One would be that they weren't really thinking about it being used for ERFing, only to 1 and 20. So they planned on the headwings being not useable at all for RFing. My second guess is that they needed a way to tell parents when they can or can not use the headwings. "Harness on the third set of slots" is pretty clear. "When RFing and the harness is on the second set of slots, you can't use the headwings if the child is just barely over the second slots, but if they're almost at the third set then you can" is not clear at all. It's much more complicated/complex, and what are the definitions of "barely over" and "almost at?"

Those are just my guesses, though. I can't tell you that it's okay to go against the manual.

firemomof3

Thanks. I will move the head wings up while its rf :( It just seems so stupid to me. But I agree with you thats its not right to go against the manual.

fyrfightermomma

Yep. Both my kiddos are on the 2nd to bottom slots. So we can't use the wings technically. However, I will note the position of the wings while they were "correct" had me worried as the bottom edge was right on my kids temples and I felt that was less safe. Not to mention the sleeping factor was NOT comfy trying to rest your head on the edge of a headwing.

Yet, they both fit *perfectly* with the wings lowered to the lowest position and completely cover their head.

It's a dumb rule and they need to change it.

I as well can't tell you to go against the manual, but I have made the parental decision myself to use them as they fit perfectly.

Correct:
100_0831.jpg

100_0833.jpg

Not correct: (now tell me which looks safer or more comfy)
100_0837.jpg

firemomof3

I think you have a very good point! You should contact SK and send them those photos to see what their response is.

Pixels

Here is a good example of what I was talking about. Your child is RFing on the second slots, almost at the third, so the headwings fit her well in the all the way down position. But she technically can't use them.

Compare the fit of your child to this one. FFing on the third slots, but I'm guessing just barely over the second slots. Since he is FFing on the third slots, the headwings have to be all the way down.

firemomof3

I wrote an email to Russ with the picture attached and heard back on this issue and here is what he wrote:

Great photo, thanks! Looks like the head support fit her perfectly - way to go. (Is it eay to get her into the seat with the head supports in this position?

With small RF children, their head will be contained and protected by the depth and angle of Radian's reinforced side walls. So, in general, we say for such small RF children raise the head support, to avoid an issue with the head support in its lowest position creating any difficulty/discomfort loading/unloading the RF child.

There is no safety issue at all with your head supports in this position.

Last edited:

WhatAboutPuppy

I think he's saying exactly what we suspected. It's easier to just give a very clear cut way to use the seat in the manual.
I want this very seat myself and have thought alot about the issues in the headwing placement. Here's my thoughts (cuz I know y'all care!)... If the head wings in the lowest position does not encase the child's head then they should be moved up and out of the way. If the wings are only halfway protecting the child's head then I can only imagine how the child's head would try to move in a side impact collision. ouch!

So yeah... that's my thoughts.

As a parent once I buy the seat I will use the wings on the second slots RF for my big guy. As a tech I'll tell parents what the manual says. :)

pastrygirl

Move the cover out of the way. I could NOT get them to move until I did that! I still find them hard to move if the cover is in place.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC