Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Rear facing car seat question

We have a Britax Marathon and have it installed rear facing. My son meets the requirements to turn it forward facing but I would like to keep him rear facing as long as possible. I was just wondering if the seat still has to be fully reclined (I believe it's a 45 degree angle) or if we can have him sitting upright a little more since he's older (15 months). I looked in the manual and I wasn't really sure - it says it has to be fully upright for forward facing but doesn't say much about rear facing.
    Any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member mommaon112903's Avatar

Re: Rear facing car seat question

Kuddos to you for keeping him RFing to the max!

It must be in the recline postition for RFing, but you can install it more upright now that he is older and has good head control.

I am sure someone with some photos will be along, so you can see what exactly the above means.

Also, it would be a great idea if you could take your seat to a car seat tech and let them teach/show you how to install it more upright.
    Crystal, SAHM to J age 8yrs11months/49.25"/55lbs/Blue Opal Recaro ProBoosterand Orange OSPKWY

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

The base has to be in recline mode, but as long as he is comfortable and has good head control it can be as upright as 30 degrees (measured from vertical). There's a diagram in the manual showing acceptable rear facing angles in the rf installation section (pages 13, 15 and 17). To get it a bit more upright push down over the front of the seat as you tighten the LATCH connectors or seatbelt. If you need it even more upright, pull the base back from the vehicle seatback an inch or two. Just be careful not to get it too upright, which is very easy to do if you combine the two methods.

Here is a picture in my signature block of how I normally have it in my car. It is more upright than 45 degress, but has a nice, lay-z-boy comfort angle.