MN Booster Law Signed Today!

momtoirs

I can't believe that I'm the first to post this. Governor Pawlenty signed into law a booster seat bill!:2thumbsup: It goes into effect July 1. The bill requires children who are both under the age of 8 and less than 4’9” tall to be placed in an appropriate child restraint. I have the text of the bill if anyone wants to see it.

Tina

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Congrats Minnesota! Let's hope that Texas is next. :thumbsup:

(And I admit that I'm surprised to hear this - hasn't Governor Pawlenty killed similar bills in the past?)

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member

(And I admit that I'm surprised to hear this - hasn't Governor Pawlenty killed similar bills in the past?)

YAY Minnesota!!! TX is one signature away!!! Perry you better sign this thing!!!!!

mamabearof3

This Minnesotan is soooo excited. This is one of the few times I have agreed with our gov. It is about stinkin' time! Besides, requiring boosters will SAVE us money in healthcare costs.

Celebrating,
Stacy from MN:D

NVMBR02

I don't know how Pawlenty feels about booster laws but he hasn't vetoed one (at least since I have lived here) they never made it that far. The bills would die in the Senate.

I was very excited to see that the bill passed. Finally! :thumbsup:

2boys3girls

OH my GOSH, that is SOOOO AWESOME>>>....!!!!!!! I am rolling on the floor laughing right now..... because this morning I decided that I would post a question here asking if anyone knew anything about the PROPOSED MN BOOSTER seat LAW..... :cool!: I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW EXCITED I AM ABOUT THIS...!!!! OP, YES I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE TEXT YOU HAVE ABOUT THIS BILL..... I am seriously trying to think about HOW i can HELP in my area to GET THE WORD OUT.... I have a friend who isn't going to be too pleased about the new LAW. In fact, I can imagine that she'll probably IGNORE the law....

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Congratulations MN!!! :D

Living on the border of WI/MN, I'm very excited about this too because our law goes to 8 OR 80 lbs OR 4'9" tall, so of course, 8 yr olds are out of booster seats before they're ready to be. Now I can tell people that they might as well follow the MN law because when they go into MN (and everyone does regularly) with their 4'2", 58 lb, 8 yr old, they could get a ticket! :thumbsup:

MomToEliEm

Congratulations MN!!! :D

Living on the border of WI/MN, I'm very excited about this too because our law goes to 8 OR 80 lbs OR 4'9" tall, so of course, 8 yr olds are out of booster seats before they're ready to be. Now I can tell people that they might as well follow the MN law because when they go into MN (and everyone does regularly) with their 4'2", 58 lb, 8 yr old, they could get a ticket! :thumbsup:

If you look at the actual text, this law is probably the same as yours. Once the child is 8, they don't need a booster seat. If the child is 4'9" before 8, they don't need a booster.

Here is the verbiage of the law:
Subd. 5. Violation; petty misdemeanor.
(a) Every motor vehicle operator, when transporting a child who is both under the age of four eight and shorter than four feet nine inches on the streets and highways of this state in a motor vehicle equipped with factory-installed seat belts, shall equip and install for use in the motor vehicle, according to the manufacturer's instructions, a child passenger restraint system meeting federal motor vehicle safety standards.
(b) No motor vehicle operator who is operating a motor vehicle on the streets and highways of this state may transport a child who is both under the age of eight and shorter than four feet nine inches in a seat of a motor vehicle equipped with a factory-installed seat belt, unless the child is properly fastened in the child passenger restraint system. Any motor vehicle operator who violates this subdivision is guilty of a petty misdemeanor and may be sentenced to pay a fine of not more than $50. The fine may be waived or the amount reduced if the motor vehicle operator produces evidence that within 14 days after the date of the violation a child passenger restraint system meeting federal motor vehicle safety standards was purchased or obtained for the exclusive use of the operator.
https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin/bldbill.php?bill=S0099.2.html&session=ls86

The way the law reads is:
Child needs booster or carseat if both under the age of 8 and shorter then 4 feet nine inches

This can be viewed as:
If both A and B then C
where:
A: child 0-7
B: Child under 4'9" tall
C: Child needs booster/carseat

If both True and True then C must occur
If both False and True then C does not have to occur as False and True will always = False
If both True and False then C does not have to occur as True and False will always = False

Since C will not occur unless both A is true and B is true, the law really allows for an 8 year old to not be in a booster regardless of current weight. Also, if a child is 4'9" prior to being 8, they don't need a booster.

momtoirs

MomtoEliEm,

Thanks for posting the link to the full text of the bill! I didn't have time to look it up last night when I posted.

I know our family is happy that the bill is signed.

Tina

midwestmeg

Yep, another Minnesotan who has now found something nice to say about Pawlenty. ;) It will be nice, now my kids won't have to be the odd ducks.

However, what would be really nice is if the whole carseat process could be easier to understand. I have no 'real job' so stuff like this is how I entertain my mind while wiping butts but jeez, it's no wonder so many folks are confused!! Kwim?

Just my little rant.

We need 'carseat world' in every town.... just drive your car into the store and figure out what fits, with your kids being able to try it out. With a scale and a ruler nearby. ;) A tech on hand to help you read your car manual and then your carseat manual. Then make it affordable... okay, I'm clearly dreaming so off to bed. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC