Another My Ride--height comparison

zeo2ski

My Ride (Edgemont Dots), BLVD, and Radian with a 2.75 y.o., 37" 32.5 lb boy.

Pics are coming. To sum it up, RN still has the most room, followed by MR65 and then BLVD.
Shell Heights:
RN: 25"
BLVD: 25"
MR: 24"

Shell room DS has left:
RN: 4.5"
BLVD: 2.5"
MR: 3.5"

So the MR is shorter than the BLVD/MA by 1" yet gives an extra inch of torso growth room. All this is RFing BTW, I might check FFing later...but probably not, unless someone wants to see that.

It was wider even than I expected but I realized after doing all the pics and such that I hadn't even noticed the cupholders. The fabric is fine, not great but not as crappy as I was expecting after other people's reviews of the Spiral. The Edgemont dots is ok, really stretchy spandex-y type stuff on the black part, then the silver "dot" part is not quite as slick feeling as it is looking, it feels ok. I'm more of a plush person to start with though--I don't like my plain snugride fabric either. When I took it out of the box, I saw that yes, the cover is coming off the top, but I didn't notice after installing it, and I didn't notice anything wrong with the sides either. But I should clarify, all my checking out of this seat was in the Walmart parking lot after picking it up!

In the pics of the MR you'll see no harness straps. The infant padding, harness, and registration card were all connected with one of those plastic fastener doohickys and I didn't want to take off the reg. card yet in case I return the seat. So I took the straps off the spliter plate and pulled everything off to the sides to plop the boy in. He kept saying "mama please can you unbuckle me?" meaning buckle me:p BTW this was the most enthused he has ever been about "playing carseats" with me, it's usually fighting and crying and he detests being measured.

Ok the pics are still uploading (dial up) so I'm going out to try puzzling. Oh, it does not puzzle in any way with the BLVD;)

Headroom first:
My Ride:
mayMRhead.jpg

BLVD:
mayBVhead.jpg

RN (he's not picking his nose, he's counting how many stickers he gets for peeing in walmart's parking lot):
mayRNhead.jpg

Legroom:
MR (the tan strip on the side of the seat is just a tag, which is white):
mayMRfeet.jpg

BLVD:
mayBVfeet.jpg

RN:
mayRNfeet.jpg

I love all the tags and warnings on this seat, all ERF and EH talk and plenty of warnings about proper use. Manual looks good so far, but I've only flipped through.

The seat IS flexible, I guess that taco thing (though my guess is that's the excuse they made after they saw that it did that) makes sense. Overall, I'm happy with the seat, and if I saw a bunch of convertibles on the shelf--with price tags--I'd go for this one no problem. But if they didn't have price tags, well...In any case it could look like total crap and I'd get it for the 40 lb RF aspect. However, after I play I'll be putting it back in the box and watching the scale and DS will remain in his RN until he gets to 35 lbs, and if by then RN or SKJP tests to 40+ I'll be returning the MR and getting one of those. ARB/RF tether does weigh into that decision though, but also the extra inches of height.

Last edited:
ADS

LuvMyCharlie

Mine just came in, too. :) I'm a little bummed. It looks so little! We'll try puzzling it with a Radian at our playdate on Monday. :) :) :)

zeo2ski

Front to back at 45 degrees takes up about the same as a 45* MA did in that same seating position.

It does puzzle with the RN. I have the RN center of my 49" 3rd row and was able to put the MR on both sides of the RN (leaving the RN in the exact same spot), all RFing. DEFINITELY would not fit FFing next to the RF RN in that row, but neither does the BLVD. However, if I were to do 3 across in that row MR/RN/MR, the cupholders would be encroaching on the RN's seating space. And at the top of the MR, the side wings were tighter on the "XT" part of the RN than the top of the BLVD would be. In other words the top MR puzzles differently than the MA, but only slightly.

I'm reading the manual now, and here's the knees bent part:
"When child can no longer comfortably fit and knees remain bent, child should use car seat forward-facing only if child is over 20 lbs. (9 kg) and can sit upright unassisted." Sure I can see where parents will think knees bent is bad, but I'm gonna interpret that as "if the knees are bent they may FF ONLY if they are over 20 lbs" rather than "if the knees are bent they HAVE to FF".

Pics are 94% uploaded:rolleyes: They're going to be slightly skewed though, because apparently in my parking lot haste I didn't notice the FF feet were down. So I just checked and installed it without the feet down and was able to get the same recline angle. So the pics of the child would be accurate, but the height of the MR compared to the BLVD next to it are not accurate. With the feet up, the MR and BLVD are about the same height. Also, in my pics and measurements, the BLVD is slightly more reclined than the MR. And I set the BLVD wings even with the shell to compare, but that's not really where they should be on this child. My other disclaimer: you must use the harness straps properly when transporting a child!

Pics are done but I'm going to put them in the OP.

Evolily

It's ambiguously worded.

If it said "If a child's legs are uncomfortably bent the child MAY face forward ONLY if they are at least 1 year and weigh 20 lbs" it would be less ambiguous.

christineka

I'm glad to hear that the myride puzzles with the radian well. I may consider it in 6 months when I need to buy another seat- IF the radian doesn't rf to 40 pounds then. (I"m really holding out hope!)

Pixels

So how does RFing legroom compare, MyRide vs. Radian? It looks like it's about the same, but I know pictures can be deceiving.

zeo2ski

It's ambiguously worded.

If it said "If a child's legs are uncomfortably bent the child MAY face forward ONLY if they are at least 1 year and weigh 20 lbs" it would be less ambiguous.
Yes, I agree totally.

Am I clueless or something....I see no pics :confused:

They weren't up yet. And I did think of you when I saw how high it sat next to the BLVD, but that was with the FF feet down, and when I put them up later, it sat low, equal to the BLVD. So no Recaro action here!

I should also say, the RN is most reclined, then BLVD, and MR is most upright. The RN and BLVD were real installs for my 2 kids, and the MR I was seeing how much grow room my boy has, so I wanted it upright! So I guess it's not a perfect comparison.

zeo2ski

So how does RFing legroom compare, MyRide vs. Radian? It looks like it's about the same, but I know pictures can be deceiving.

Yeah, it's about the same, maybe a little more in the RN (which is much more reclined than the MR, so maybe they'd be the same amount of legroom at the same angle).

NannyMom

Thanks for the pics and more puzzling info.

I decided my take on the bent knee wording is.... Do you child's knees stay bend when you take them out of the car? No? Well, then you're fine :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC