Just how important is adhering to the CR instructions? (ranty)

Synchro246

It seems like a stupid question, but I apparently can't do it. I am frustrated right now. I was doing ok figuring out how to do better all this week, but with the discussion of the regent I realized yet ANOTHER thing I haven't been doing right. And now I am feeling like my friend did a day ago- crappy.

If I want to follow the instructions to the T I need to get my happy butt down to the dealershipS and get real tether anchors.

I may as well keep that pillowcase thing I did to the underseat pad for now, cause what's one more thing on my list of straying from the user manual.

I'm sure a lot of people who come thru here and learn more about CPS beat themselves up and get frustrated, huh?

Alright, I'm done. Sould I worry about having the tethers put on other bolted things? They said no specifically about the seat- where I have both tethered.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
It's too easy as parents to blame ourselves for simple mistakes even though they're often the best we could do with what we had at the moment - it's like part of the job description :p

Anyway, vehicle seat protectors the thinness of a pillow case are okidokie ;) You can breath easy....

Can you refresh my memory on the top tether dilemma?

Synchro246

I was using the (very small toddler) pillowcase *in* the seat as a cover for the foam that had a slight rip. It makes install easier too. Though, it classifies as an aftermarket alteration I guess (voiding warranty? making me liable?)
The tether thing. . . I just read in the manual that I am to use ONLY the tether anchors. My car doesn't have one (and either does my mother's) so I just tethered to where the seats are bolted to the floor. I thought it was OK. I am sure it's probably safe, and certainly safer than no tether, but it bites that I have to stray from the instructions to tether my seats.

LuvBug

if its rearfacing then you tether to an approved spot using the d-ring. So if you are talking about your RFing tether then it is ok.

Synchro246

if its rearfacing then you tether to an approved spot using the d-ring. So if you are talking about your RFing tether then it is ok.

The manual says only an anchor. Is the seat bolt thing generally considered approved then? He is RF.
Ok, now I have a new question. I saw d-ring tether straps for sale and wondered why they were different from the one that came with my roundabout. It's round/squarish with a round hole. Is that still ok?

LuvBug

for rearfacing it does not need to be an approved tether anchor. Just an approved secure spot for the d-ring to loop around and connect the tether to.

skaterbabs

Also, if the part you're tethering to allows your tether to attch securely then you do not need to use the d-ring at all. I had a vehicle that allowed the tether to attach to the bolt-hole for the seatbelt of the front seat. (RF of course.)

Kleine hexe

At least you have not been driving around for 4 years using Gen3 seat belts instead of LATCH. And tether? What's tether? Oh yeah, the strap I cut off ds's seat because it got in my way when I moved the seat around. Turned both kiddos FF when they turned a year old regardless of weight. Sigh. Can't change the past ...only learn from it. To shorten the quote...."When you know better, you do better."

skaterbabs

At least you have not been driving around for 4 years using Gen3 seat belts instead of LATCH. And tether? What's tether? Oh yeah, the strap I cut off ds's seat because it got in my way when I moved the seat around. Turned both kiddos FF when they turned a year old regardless of weight. Sigh. Can't change the past ...only learn from it. To shorten the quote...."When you know better, you do better."

If it helps, any vehicle new enough to have LATCH probably has Gen 4 belts, and you have to use those after 40-48 lbs or so anyway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC