Would you buy a TF to get 5 more lbs rfing?

liz2d2

My daughter is about to turn 3. She's 29 lbs on a chubby day but 36" tall and sits rear-facing in a Wizard, a Marathon and a Radian, depending on the car she's in. Her height comes totally from her legs. A recent growth spurt is making it increasingly hard to buckle her into my Marathon -- plus, the last couple of days especially, the wide part of the top of the buckle is digging into her thighs because her legs are so darned long.

I really want to keep her rear-facing for at least 6 more months, but not if the seats are causing her pain. Would you invest in a True Fit at this point or just (sigh) flip her around?

Or, do you have any suggestions for getting a little more legroom out of these seats? My Marathon is as upright as it can safely go.

I welcome and all suggestions!!!!

ADS

theshapeshifter

Well, I did buy a TF to get 5 more lbs rfing, but for a much younger kiddo, since DS was around 29-ish pounds at 12 months (!) and our (Canadian) Marathon only went to 30lbs. He's just this week hit the 35lb mark fully clothed, so I turned his seat FF on Tuesday, although he hasn't ridden FF yet since we only take the car on weekends. So, in our case it made the difference of having to FF at "just barely one" versus "almost two" - definitely worth it.

Would I buy one for a 3 year old? Personally, probably not, unless I had younger kids to pass it down to - but then, my view may be skewed by the fact that DS has always been huge and we were lucky to even get him close to two RFing (since the TF was the only 35lb RF seat in Canada at the time).

We are super happy with the seat (other than the well-known PITA of the buried harness adjuster RF, but it's not that huge a deal) and it seems much roomier and more comfy than the Marathon we had before.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
If I wanted to keep her RF for another 6 months and a seat existed that would allow me to do that, yes I would get it. If funds were tight, I'd sell one of the other seats to help out with the cost.

My DD is a few months younger than yours, and about the same weight and height. If she didn't already have a True Fit, but instead had a 30 pound RF seat, I would be out buying the True Fit right now. And I'd do the same if she was a few months older and turning 3.

daniele_ut

At 3 years old, *I* wouldn't, but that's just me. I had actually already turned DS around by that age when he was around 30lbs.

cookie123

What about the new Graco seat whose name is eluding me at this moment? Maybe you should give that a whirl. Then it would be 10 lbs, possibly, if there's enough height.

cookie123

Yes, that's it! I thought someone had it and it was available at walmart.com?DIdn't I see a pic on here of someone putting in their car? Perhaps I'm confused with something else.

liz2d2

Thanks for the reassurance -- guess what's on it's way to my house right now?? :):)

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3115459

I thought about the My Ride, but it looks like it doesn't have any/much more legroom than the Marathon. We know for sure that the True Fit does, so it feels like the right choice. I don't know if it'll fit RFing behind the driver's seat in my Mazda 3 so we may have to flip her around when baby #2 arrives in November. But those extra 6 months of RFing are totally worth it.

ragincajun

Thats exactly what I ordered yesterday from BRU too! :2thumbsup::D I just couldnt resist! :love: I ordered mine yesterday and I got the shipment notification about 24 later today. Not bad :thumbsup:

April

Yep, I would. I bought our True Fit when Riley and Rayn were both 31lbs. He was 22 months and she was 37 months at the time. They lasted 3 months before they both outgrew it by weight.

heyruthie

I thought about the My Ride, but it looks like it doesn't have any/much more legroom than the Marathon. We know for sure that the True Fit does.

Congrats on your choice of the TF! I do want to mention that in quite a few pics it *does* look like the new MR gives more legroom than the MA. I was able to check out the MR at my BRU this week (in-store!) and it had mega legroom, IMO. But the TF is an awesome seat too! I keep wanting a Monet for my DD :love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC