Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

View Poll Results: Do you talk on cell phone while driving? Pick one of first four and last only if yes.

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

21 13.46%
  • Only when REALLY necessary,

27 17.31%
  • Yeah, sometimes.

53 33.97%
  • I do often.

33 21.15%
  • When I do I use earbud, bluetooth, or other hands free system.

41 26.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CPS Fanatic

Do you talk on cell phone when driving?

Please only pick ONE of the first four choices AND then the last if it applies to you.

I am curious. I am guilty of this- pretty often. I just got an ear bud though, so that's a bit better I guess.
    ~Laura™ mom to Seamus (6) in a Regent and Mickey (4) in a ff Myride. Due 6/26/11 with Abigail Tucker, patiently awaiting the install of her Myride.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy
    I guess I don't see it any differently than talking to a passenger, yelling at the kids in the back, or changing the radio station.

Exclamation

I'm a "Never!" person when it comes to talking on cell phones while driving. 99.9% of the time, my phone is off. The .1% that I forget and leave it on... well, that person can wait until I call them back after I safely pull over. Driving while talking or fiddling with a cell is one of my biggest peeves that I get really angry about. And I"m a pretty laid back person.

It was illegal in Germany from about 2-3 years ago, so I haven't experienced too much of this until recently. Sure there were violators, but it was rare and usually on the open road, not gunning down pedestrians in the supermarket parking lot. Around here, a cell phone seems to be issued with a driver's license. I saw a driver today turn the wrong way on a one way street because she more interested in yacking than paying attention to the roads. Scary. Thankfully, it was almost empty. No accident. Just a lot of dodging and trying to get turned around.

I'm not sure how these new ear bud/ blue tooth hookups work, but if there's a momentary distraction caused by trying to locate or press a button to send or answer, it's just as dangerous as a regular phone being used by driving. The driver is more focused downwards when fiddling with a gadget than what is occuring within the driving environment. It takes up precious concentration no matter how we use it.

There are a lot of little things that we do on this website to keep our children safe --- is it really worth it to endanger all that just to talk on a bloody phone? If it's that important, then safely pull over, stop, and focus on that vital conversation. Multi-tasking in this situation is dangerous to everyone around and inside that vehicle.

And that's my very strong opinion on this issue.
    My Munchkin -- Nov 2008--5 years, 45.5", 42lbs
    Current Stats: 12 years old /5'5/ 115lbs/ Seatbelt

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Phillip K. Dick

I think I remember hearing a study that showed that hands free devices offered no advantage. It's the conversation with someone unaware of the road circumstances that causes the problem. If we could get over our need to be polite and just stop talking/listening when driving conditions warrant it there'd be fewer cell phone related accidents.
    Liz
    Mom to:
    Rachael (11/03), Emily (8/06), and Naomi (1/09)

I do. I do however mostly use the earplug....but not always. Not that either is acceptable.

Agh, self control is so hard sometimes.
    Mama to boys age 9 (50.5" and 52#) in Regent and age 6 (46.5" and 42#) in a Marathon and boy age 17 months in Chicco Keyfit.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar
    I sometimes talk to dh...usually he calls me..., and then slam the phone (well, hit the end button), in a dramatically angry tone when I get to a dangerous driving situation, to passively aggresively remind him not to call me when I'm driving.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

I do occasionally, but honestly my cell is less of a distraction than my kids.
    Anyway, it costs so much (25 cents a minute) for me to talk on my cell that when I say occasionally, I mean it, and then for just a couple of minutes at the time. My goal is to give/get the info and get off most of the time. lol
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar
    Very rarely, and I won't pick up if it rings unless I'm stuck at a red light and know it will be red for a looonnnnggg time at some of the busiest intersections in town. And I'm notorious for rudely cutting off the call (usually it's just DH any way) when the light turns green, or putting it on hold until I can safely pull over or stop at the next red light. The same for placing a call, almost never, and again while stopped at a light, or just pull off the road into a parking lot. Voice mail and missed calls are my friends and protectors.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Senior Community Member
    I usually don't RECEIVE calls while I'm driving, but I have been known to place a call to locate DS (teenager) when I have to pick him up, or call for Pizza In NY we HAVE to be "hands free" but, quite honestly, it's MORE distracting to have all these extra gizzies to deal with. I read somewhere that having a phone conversation competes with the part of your brain you need to stay focused on the road. So you are in essence, "impaired" to the extent that it is classified as similar to DUI with your reaction time. No one seems to care about the law, they just talk and talk and sometimes stop in the middle of the intersection zoning on when to turn! UGH!

Senior Community Member
    I do occasionally, but honestly my cell is less of a distraction than my kids.
    LOL, if they ever test the effect that a screaming infant and a toddler that's trying to outdo the infant have on driving, they'll make it illegal to transport children under 4.

Julie D.

It's illegal here -- I usually keep mine stored in my "walking wallet" under my seat.... On a rare occassion that I'm expecting a call from a Dr. or attorney (after playing an obnoxious game of phone tag for days) I will answer, but with the speaker phone option so both eyes stay on the road & both hands on the wheel.
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Quote Originally Posted by j4m4d8 View Post
    LOL, if they ever test the effect that a screaming infant and a toddler that's trying to outdo the infant have on driving, they'll make it illegal to transport children under 4.

Julie D.
    Forget the toddler/preschooler - it's the ten & eight year olds that drive me crazy!
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    - Denis Waitley

I do sometimes, but, I hardly ever talk on the phone, period LOL
    It's actually quite 'rare' that I am on the phone while driving, but I didn't feel my situation fit the 'only when really needed' category hehe Because it's not 'really needed' Dh calls or I call him real quickly. Always quick. No lengthy conversations. No calling just to talk kind of thing.
    Most often it's "Uh, honey, is *this* my turn?" LOL (I guess that one does fit the 'really needed' category) and "I'm at X spot, I'll be there in about X minutes" that kind of thing.

~Tara~
    7 kids in 3 seats
    Ages 16yr - 2yr

Nope, never!

I never mastered the skill of talking on the phone and doing other things at the same time (except cleaning, I can talk and clean at the same time LOL). Its way to much of a distraction to me. My phone stays off in the car.
    Lara

Senior Community Member nursekori's Avatar

Re: Do you talk on cell phone when driving?

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee03 View Post
    I guess I don't see it any differently than talking to a passenger, yelling at the kids in the back, or changing the radio station.
    I totally agree. I don't usually instigate the call, however. Someone usually calls me. I do tell them I am driving and I can call them back later. most of my calls in the car last less than 1min anyway! I constantly have my bluetooth headset in so that I'm not looking for my phone if it rings. If I have to look, its not worth the distraction!

CPS Fanatic

I do quite often. It's also less of a distraction to me than the kids are. Ear buds drive me insane. I think I have small ears. These things hurt! The speakerphone is never good enoush so I never bother. I try to keep it short though - especialy since it's illegal. oops.
    Kelly, mom to Aaric (7.5 and 65 lbs), Mikayla (6 and 52 lbs), and Xander (20 mo and 25 lbs)
    No more Huskies due to a wreck...
    Xander's in a MA, Mikayla in a GN, Aaric is temporarily in the pink Vivo...
    Graco SS1 due to come out of retirement in Jan 09

CPS Technician

I do route sales. My car is my office, and my cellphone is my business line. I do use a Bluetooth headset though.

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee03 View Post
    accident data and other studies indicate otherwise. cellphone usage has been proven to be more distracting than talking with other passengers (i don't know about yelling at kids, i don't think they looked at that, lol). when you talk to passengers in the car, you are relying on more than one sensory input. when you are talking on the phone (even if it's hands free), your brain has to focus more because you are trying to channel information through one sensory input, your ears. this causes the brain to "shut off" the other sensory inputs that aren't helping you hear the person on the phone, which means that your brain is focusing its energy on letting you hear the person on the phone, rather than focusing on seeing.

that said, i'm guilty of the occasional phone use while driving. i've tried hands-free, but i notice that i'm just as distracted (if not more, since there are wires and all kinds of accessories to deal with) than if i'm holding the phone in my hand. once the new cell phone law goes into effect in my state i will probably just give it up altogether.

incidentally, about 9 out of 10 times i see someone pulling a really stupid move in a car, they're on the phone.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

there actually was a study recently that showed children are as much of a distraction as cells, but I don't remember any specifics about it.

That said, if you (general you, not specifically YOU) think my cell is a bigger distraction than my kids you've never met my kids. :P lol
    - Denis Waitley

Yes I do. I usually use the earbud, because holding the phone up is distracting. I avoid using it in heavy traffic, but because I live in the country, I will use it when driving down the highway or the grids.