What to do if the Radian doesn't come in

vonfirmath

I've had a Radian on order since mid-March. On May 19, I have an appointment at a car seat install to check the installation of the Radian in my car (They only do these once a month and I would really like the installation checked before I need the seat June 8)

The seat isn't in yet! I went in on Monday to find out the status of the seat. (they've been telling me "Any day now" for a month) and to make sure I can get my money back if the seat is not in by Saturday because I need a seat for this car check. They called me yesterday to say they'd be calling me back later with a tracking number. No call back. Nothing yet today either.

They offered me the floor model... but I'm not paying $200 for a car seat that has been on the floor for who knows how long.

So I'm trying to decide what to get that I can get that I can put my hands on (ie buy from a store. Lots of choices for stores).

Needs to be able to:
RF in the center (hopefully) of a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am (no LATCH)
Fit into an airplane seat
Be carried around an airport.

Son is 21 months old, 25 pounds, and on the 2nd slots of the Marathon.

Strongest contender: An Avenue from Sears. (the pretty brown with pink one if I can)

I can find Sceneras and Cocorros locally for sure -- but I'm pretty sure he's too close to outgrowing them.
Getting another Marathon is probably too expensive :(

If I can find a MyRide locally, would that be a good choice? (I know, not too much experience here. But best guesses how it would do on an airplane?)

I can get a 50-pound All-in-1 at Costco for cheap too.

Then, of course, the TrueFit and the EFTA. (At least, I think I can find a Truefit locally)

ADS

Pixels

Scenera or Avenue. Possibly as an interim seat until you do get your besought Radian??

DH has a 99 Grand Am, so it should be the same vehicle. I don't have his vehicle right this second, but my memory says that RFing Radian center was pretty straightforward. I think I had to twist down the female belt stalk. I can check how easy it is after he gets home from work.

What's June 8? Are you flying somewhere? Why can't you use the Marathon you already have?

vonfirmath

Scenera or Avenue. Possibly as an interim seat until you do get your besought Radian??

DH has a 99 Grand Am, so it should be the same vehicle. I don't have his vehicle right this second, but my memory says that RFing Radian center was pretty straightforward. I think I had to twist down the female belt stalk. I can check how easy it is after he gets home from work.

What's June 8? Are you flying somewhere? Why can't you use the Marathon you already have?

Son and Mom (without Dad) are flying in September.

June 8 is when my husband's class starts at Texas State University. He will be dropping son off at daycare and I will be picking up. We are coming from completely opposite directions so there is no way to switch cars

Pixels

Would it be possible to leave the seat at daycare? It would mean uninstalling and reinstalling twice a day for a while, but it might help get you through. Though with no forseeable end in sight, I wouldn't be happy about it.

Are you getting straps for the Radian? Either the SK ones, or stealing them off bags you already own. It makes traveling with the seat almost easy.

vonfirmath

Would it be possible to leave the seat at daycare? It would mean uninstalling and reinstalling twice a day for a while, but it might help get you through. Though with no forseeable end in sight, I wouldn't be happy about it.

Are you getting straps for the Radian? Either the SK ones, or stealing them off bags you already own. It makes traveling with the seat almost easy.

That's one reason for buying the Radian. I had not decided what to do. But the fact that it folds and could become a backpack was a huge factor. (even though it was so expensive. More than we can really afford. Thus the reason I'd rather get my money back and just buy another seat, travelling with the Marathon with necessary than to buy a third seat while waiting for this one to come in.

With 1 child and our main car a Pontiac Montana mini-van, we're not going to need to do 3-across for quite a while.

ctbcleveland

Based on your son's stats in your siggy - I'd be pretty surprised if he's outgrown a scenera. The harness height is a problem for forward-facing, but it has a tall shell, so rear-facing is usually not a problem until you hit the weight limit (unless you've got a really tall kid)

We've travelled with both the Radian and the Scenera. The Scenera is very light weight and narrow enough to fit inside of most umbrella strollers (like a MAC or Chicco). You'll need to have a separate seat for your September trip because of your son's age. The radian is nice because it can fold in the plane's overhead bins, which is good if you plan to use a CARES harness. But it is really heavy - I'd die if I had to lug it through the airport by itself.

While the Scenera isn't the easiest to install, neither is a Radian - so I don't think for travel, it will be any different. We bring the SKJP pool noodle piece on vacation for our RF scenera.

I think everyone should have a scenera - just in case. They are cheap enough not to sweat it if you never use it. We don't use ours regularly, but for travel, and if god forbid, we ever have an accident - I like knowing we have a back-up seat ready to go, with no thinking.

vonfirmath

He already has a separate seat in September. (He also rode in his own seat last Christmas-time.).

I'll check him out in the Scenera. I thought for sure he'd be nearly out of it because of folks saying their kids outgrew it RF'ing at 2.5 an such and our son is tall in the torso. (I like that it fits in the umbrella stroller. We're taking one of those!) (And its available in Orange! Oh this sounds promising!)

ctbcleveland

I'll check him out in the Scenera. I thought for sure he'd be nearly out of it because of folks saying their kids outgrew it RF'ing at 2.5 an such and our son is tall in the torso. (I like that it fits in the umbrella stroller. We're taking one of those!) (And its available in Orange! Oh this sounds promising!)

I'd bet their kids outgrew it by weight - not height. I think 35 lbs is average for a 3 yr old, so not unheard of to outgrow by weight at 2.5. My DS was around 24 lbs at one - and is no more than 29 lbs on his second birthday - so I think you've got lots of time weight-wise.

I think orange is only available at TRU - no other B&M stores - so try to get a coupon - their price is expensive compared to K-Mart, Wal-mart or Target.

We use a Chicco C5 umbrella stroller, by the way. At one point, we strapped DS into the carseat while it was in the stroller, and pushed him like that to the rental car pick up. This was after we collected our checked luggage.

mom2juliarose

USA baby

They recognize me when I walk in now from coming to ask.

That is insane. You have WAY more patience than me. I would have canceled the order by now and gone elsewhere. Unless you got an AMAZING deal on it.

Radians aren't in that short supply, are they?

vonfirmath

I'm patient? And the receipt said to wait 6 weeks.

No, the problem (according to them) is Sunshine Kids. They are just waiting for them to come from Sunshine Kids.

Yes, I know Babies R us is more expensive. I've got a coupon... I'll have to see what the date on it is. But I'm willing to pay a bit more for orange. My son is wild about orange. And this is still much cheaper than the Radian.

Our umbrella is a Chicco something or other (I got it at a consignment sale and haven't been able to find one like it. It has the adjustable footrest that he loves)

ctbcleveland

Yes, I know Babies R us is more expensive. I've got a coupon... I'll have to see what the date on it is. But I'm willing to pay a bit more for orange. My son is wild about orange. And this is still much cheaper than the Radian.

I love the orange scenera - and the black one at Target with the dots on it. I am mad because we bought ours when they only had boring plaid with either brown, navy or black trim, depending on where you bought it.

vonfirmath

I just got a call that they have a tracking number and it will be in the store "On May 19th" -- but my appointment is at 10a! What's the likelihood it will be there before that? In any case, I've convinced myself to get the Orange Scenera instead. I did tell them I'd take it back if it wasn't here by Saturday (I wanted a chance to read the book and attempt to install it myself first so that tuesday it would be checking the install and showing me how to correct it!)

ctbcleveland

I would try to work a deal out with USA Baby to "borrow" their floor model overnight so you can try to install and have the install checked if the seat does not arrive in time. (You know - just for like 24 hrs). It might be a stretch, but it is worth asking.

At a minimum, they should either let you take the manual home to read or should have SKJP mail one to you. Most manufacturers have one on-line, I did not see one on their website - but I am at work and could only look quickly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC