Traveling with a seat and no kid (aka how to get my TWE back home)

brightredmtn

A big snag in my hopes of DH bringing me (er I mean DS) home a TWE from Europe.

The box will be too big to fit under the regular baggage size. I called the airline, if DS were traveling with him it would be fine, they wouldn't charge the "too big box fee" of $150 and it would be cool to keep the seat in the box. The rep said that since there will be no kid if the seat were out of the box and in a bag they probably wouldn't charge extra for that.

So... for $26 I can order a bag with the seat. Check the seat in the bag?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I sent a seat with DD to give to her mom. We bagged it and didn't get charged.

twinsmom

Can your DH rent a kid for the trip?

Just kidding, of course! But it would probably be cheaper than the shipping!!:D

Maybe you should email Adventuredad - he might have some helpful advice. It's a very expensive seat (and a lot of work to get it) to have it tossed around without a box.:eek:

brightredmtn

LOL! I was actually thinking "Maybe he should borrow another kid on the plane and have them sit in the seat..."

Yeah cause that wouldn't be weird. "Oh hey random family I've met waiting to get on a flight, can you pretend that this big giant thing going onto the airplane is yours?"

Also he's flying a US carrier so since it's not FAA approved they may not even let it on the plane for someone to actually use. BUT if there are extra seats on the plane, I wonder if they'd let him put it next to him? Hmm...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It doesn't have to be FAA approved on an international flight with a U.S. carrier, they'll accept Canadian or UN certification. I forget where that link is, but I know it exists. (Well, technically it should be certified for plane use but most FAs won't know the difference... :whistle: )

brightredmtn

It doesn't have to be FAA approved on an international flight with a U.S. carrier, they'll accept Canadian or UN certification.

I know I've definitely read about international carriers not accepting seats at all because they aren't governed by the FAA but since the FAA does allow seats then maybe it won't be a problem.

(Well, technically it should be certified for plane use but most FAs won't know the difference... :whistle: )

I have actually had FAs ask to see the FAA sticker on the seat before. I've also had FAs tell me that I HAD to FF too. This was back even before DS was over a year and 20lbs. Actually a SouthWest gate attendant threatened to pull me off a flight b/c I told him that no, infact the FAA allows you to use your seat in whatever direction the manufacture's guidlines allow but that was a whole other post...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC