Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

chanci

Car seat in 2007 Highlander

I just purchased a '07 Highlander to be used as a future family car. We hope to have our first soon. I read somwhere that installing a seat in the middle of the highlander was a problem because of the pull down console. The manual says its fine but I would like to hear some real life examples if its possible or not. Thanks

ETA: The '07 is exactly like the '06 so any info. on the '06 would be useful too.
    Last edited by chanci; 11-08-2006 at 02:15 PM.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician
    I don't have a Highlander, but my Malibu Maxx has a center console.

I put my best friend's daughters snugride and RF marathon in the center all the time. I've never had her outboard in my car. I have a center LATCH position and we've even used the SR without the base--so a belt install, with no problems. I really like that my back seat reclines a bit, so I can bring it up to really snug in her seat.

Susan
    Mommy to my angel, Ethan Daniel (8/5/07-8/6/07)
    Mommy to Nicholas (12-29-08) RF'ed to 2.75 yrs in Graco MyRide(crashed) and a True Fit Primier. FF in the TFP and a Graco Nautilus Elite. Nicholas is 2.75 yrs old, 32 lbs and 36" tall.
    Child Passenger Safety Tech

First, always check your vehicle manual + carseat manual: one or the other might say not to install (RF) in front of the pull-down console....

I was taught that it's generally safer not to put a seat RF in front of a pull-down console, but that there can be exceptions: such as the Britax Companion with it's anti-rebound bar (which would prevent the console from coming down) or certain convertible carseats might sit high enough up to prevent the center console from coming down & out.
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}