We made a difference!

firemomof3

I am selling my Comfortsport (before I knew better :rolleyes:) on my local craigslist and I received an email from a grandmother who wanted it for her 20lb. 8mo. :eek: I replied back with the recommendation of the Graco MyRide because of his rapid growth & I gently explained the benefits of rf...and hoped for the best. Well, here is her reply:

Hi and thanks! You convinced me to make the investment into the Graco My Ride seat for my grandson. He is growing so fast and I especially appreciated your advice on rear facing. I want him as safe as possible for as long as possible. I wasn't looking forward to having to front face him anytime soon. The video was great. You are a wonderful advocate for CPS. I am sorry to not be getting your seat but I am so grateful I answered your ad and got the information and education you shared with me. Thanks so much and good luck selling your seat to a smaller child who will use it longer than Jeffrey would.

This email brought me to tears,....we are all making a difference :thumbsup:

ADS

mish

That's great!

I do have some concerns about recommending the MyRide. We really don't know that much about the seat yet. We don't know if it easy to install or a beast. I know we have gotten some information on it, but it is still unknown.

firemomof3

That's great!

I do have some concerns about recommending the MyRide. We really don't know that much about the seat yet. We don't know if it easy to install or a beast. I know we have gotten some information on it, but it is still unknown.

I absolutely agree, but with this child being 20lbs. at 8mo. I really think its an extreme case worthy of the MyRide.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Really 8 months and only 20 lbs, not that big of a deal. The kiddo isn't walking yet. Most kids around here a 20 lbs at 6 months.

mish

Really 8 months and only 20 lbs, not that big of a deal. The kiddo isn't walking yet. Most kids around here a 20 lbs at 6 months.

I agree. Ryan was 17 pounds at 4 months, but only 21 pounds at a year. They really slow down.

OP, I am really not trying to make you feel bad. I think what you did is awesome. I was just trying to add a bit of caution for everyone. I'm remembering the excitement with the frontier and how people waited for it to come out to order a seat. When it came and people couldn't install it it was a bad deal.

firemomof3

I agree. Ryan was 17 pounds at 4 months, but only 21 pounds at a year. They really slow down.

OP, I am really not trying to make you feel bad. I think what you did is awesome. I was just trying to add a bit of caution for everyone. I'm remembering the excitement with the frontier and how people waited for it to come out to order a seat. When it came and people couldn't install it it was a bad deal.

Oh no, you really bring up a very good point. Until we are able to play with the seat we really should be cautious about recommending it :)

well, whether the Grandma gets the MR or another HWH seat, :thumbsup: to you for giving her good info on ERF and :thumbsup: to the Grandma for being receptive. You could always give her info on the ETA and TrueFit and mention that some seats are easier to install than others depending on the vehicle so it's worth trying a few to see which one she finds easier to use/install.

Maedze

If the kids is 20 pounds at 8 months, ANY seat is going to be better than the CS. Good for you, OP!

The trouble with being a CPS advocate is you end up shooting yourself in the foot when you're listing your car seats on craigslist :ROTFLMAO:

firemomof3

If the kids is 20 pounds at 8 months, ANY seat is going to be better than the CS. Good for you, OP!

The trouble with being a CPS advocate is you end up shooting yourself in the foot when you're listing your car seats on craigslist :ROTFLMAO:

Thank you. I haven't sold my CS yet, so if your interested I can hook you up ;)

heyruthie

Yea! I had a similar experience at BRU today when I went to go see the new MR there.:D

There was a mother with a barely 12 mos. old dd, and the grandparents had come along to buy a new seat because she was "almost 20 pounds" and needed a new seat. After talking with the salesman, she like the cover choices on the Britax seats, but didn't want to spend the $$ on a MA. So, she was leaning towards a RA, since "when the baby outgrows this, she can go right into a booster." At that point, I couldn't control myself and jumped in!

We talked for a long time about ERFing and booster readiness, and I rec'd the MA over the RA, and also the EFTA if she didn't like the $$ of the MA. (And since they had 3 on dif. EFTA patterns, and the mom was OBVIOUSLY into having fabric choices.) They did not have any TFs in stock, or I would have suggested that as well. She also looked at the new MR, but (again--color choices for her DD being important!) she didn't care for the look of the MR.

In the end, the Grandmother said, "So she's probably still safe in her infant seat!" (which she was, since she was a peanut.) "And we don't have to turn her FF afterall!" She seemed excited. I was relieved too. This was clearly a family that thought they "had" to buy a new seat so baby could FF, since she was "almost" 12 and 20. (and she was such a tiny little thing--maybe 18 pounds, and her birthday was this week.....)

christineka

You make me feel better. I just told a guy who wanted to buy my nautilus for his almost 1 year old that he needed to google "extended rear facing" etc ect. He thanked me for my information and told me he'd definitely research it because he wants his dd to be safe. I really need to sell my nautilus or french horn soon.

kalamos23

That's awesome you made a difference!! I had a 20 lb. 4 month old - so 20 lbs at 8 mo doesn't sound that big lol She's now 29.5 lbs. at 10 mo :-D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC