Shortest Front to Back Infant Seat

dhardawa

My sister is due in November and I have been trying to find her an infant seat. The problem is, she drives a Saturn SL2 which is a small car and she has a daughter who will be 6 at the time. I don't believe she can get the baby in the center and my niece outboard so both seats will need to go outboard. I need to find her a seat that will fit in a very small car behind an outboard seat. So, does anyone know what the smallest seat is from front to back for me to try?

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Is she set on an infant seat? Would she be okay using one baseless? They take up much less room that way and once you've done it a time or two, it's no biggie to rebuckle them each time.

dhardawa

She will probably want an infant seat just due to the convenience. If she had to, I'm sure she could buckle an infant seat without a base in correctly. Maybe I should be asking about narrow infant seats too.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Key Fit is pretty short. Combis are pretty narrow..and iirc not too long front to back either. Both can (Combis must) be used with the handle up, which can be nice in a smaller car. Otherwise the Flex Loc now goes to 30lbs/30in and is a touch taller but still narrow, but the handle must be down.
:)

Spam

My sis has the same car and she used a designer 22 (safety 1st, eddie bauer), I *think* the handle can be up, she always left it up (but that doesn't mean it was right)... the babytrend is narrow and if she puts the handle all the way down behind the seat, she should have room for it. The chicco also seems short.:shrug-shoulders:

Pixels

The BabyTrend infant seat is the narrowest on the market. The handle does have to be down, but there are two "down" positions. One makes the seat longer front to back, the other is all the way down and doesn't really make it longer. To use it in my brother's car behind the driver, I had to put the handle in the all the way down position, and then snap it into the base. There wasn't room to leave the handle in the other position, and there wasn't room to rotate the handle down after it was snapped in.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My sis has the same car and she used a designer 22 (safety 1st, eddie bauer), I *think* the handle can be up, she always left it up (but that doesn't mean it was right)... the babytrend is narrow and if she puts the handle all the way down behind the seat, she should have room for it. The chicco also seems short.:shrug-shoulders:

It may have been misuse at the time, but all Dorel infant seat handles can be left up now, they changed the rule and it's retroactive (so her kiddo was never in danger, even if it was 'wrong' before to be up).
:thumbsup:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I had a SL2 when my youngest was born and I was able to fit a Graco SnugRide outboard without any problems. Matter of fact, it was part of a 3 in a row set up (SnugRide, Evenflo 2 in 1, RFing Roundabout) so I'm pretty sure you can get two seats side by side if need be.

dhardawa

I had a SL2 when my youngest was born and I was able to fit a Graco SnugRide outboard without any problems. Matter of fact, it was part of a 3 in a row set up (SnugRide, Evenflo 2 in 1, RFing Roundabout) so I'm pretty sure you can get two seats side by side if need be.

Oh, that would be wonderful! Maybe I'll try that first.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC