• Bring the Radian on the plane and rent another seat upon arrival

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy the Safeguard Go and bring the Coccoro on the plane

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Something else (explain)

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters

jubgulia

The grandparents are taking us all to Hawaii in June for Grandpa's 50th birthday! They already bought the plane tickets. DS1 will have his own seat, but DS2 will not. :( They offered to rent a carseat when we get there, but I don't really like that idea. I was planning to just bring the RN on the plane and gate check the CC, but I don't want the CC to get destroyed or anything.

Also, the Safeguard Go is on sale for $135 right now and that could be easier to bring because it has a carry case and could be put in the overhead bin. We don't have tons of extra cash lying around, but it would be better than paying $60 to rent an unknown carseat for a week because we could use it later too, right? Then we could just bring the CC on the plane and not have to gate check anything.

What would you do?

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I would pay for a seat for the little one out of my own pocket and then safely bring the seats on board! If that wasn't a possibility, I'd just buy a cheap seat when I arrived. Isn't the Scenera super cheap in the U.S.? I'm quite certain that it's cheaper than a $60 rental. I think I've seen people mention $40-$50?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep. I'd do one of 3 things:

-buy a second seat (first choice.)
-buy the GO and use the RN on the plane for the oldest, pack the boot in carryon and put the oldest in the GO and baby in the RN at destination.
-Buy a Scenera there (one parent waits at airport while someone else goes straight to a store for it); ask if there's an extra seat on the way back (if not see if you can save the box and packing materials and be able to safely check it.)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
But how would they get from the airport to Kmart or Walmart to buy a seat?
Well, there are various options. A grandparent or other family member (aunt, uncle, etc. if they are going too) could pick one up, one adult could head to the store while the others waited at the airport. They could take a bus (if there are buses in Hawaii) to the hotel and get everyone settled in and one parent could head to the store while everyone else unpacked.

I guess I don't see it as an issue. :shrug-shoulders:

I was also going to suggest buying a cheapy and hauling it along, but packing it up so it didn't get wrecked there and back seemed a waste of time to me. Since it's cheaper than a rental, it could be donated at the end of the trip and not have to expend any effort hauling it home.

There wasn't a poll when I posted my answer, so I'll go vote "something else" now since that's the only category my answer fits in. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, I was imagining everyone shuttling to the rental car place and piling into cars... if there were a shuttle to the hotel it'd be ok, but it's actually kind of a freeway trek from the airport to anywhere, sending someone out to buy a carseat would be sort of un-fun, imo.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Oh, I was imagining everyone shuttling to the rental car place and piling into cars... if there were a shuttle to the hotel it'd be ok, but it's actually kind of a freeway trek from the airport to anywhere, sending someone out to buy a carseat would be sort of un-fun, imo.
I've never been to Hawaii so I don't know how un-fun it would be. :) I guess one would have to weigh out was was more un-fun, packing and hauling a child restraint along for a child that doesn't have a seat so can't use it on the plane, then repacking and hauling home versus one adult grabbing the rental car and going on a freeway trek to the store and back. Both options sound like they suck to me. :D Maybe the OP will get lucky and get a good deal on a seat for her child, that will save a lot of heartache.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, that'd be the best :D. Failing that, I'd go online and reserve seats that have gaps in between them that no single traveler will want, then bring both seats to the gate and more than likely there will be an empty free seat available <innocent whistle>.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Yeah, that'd be the best :D. Failing that, I'd go online and reserve seats that have gaps in between them that no single traveler will want, then bring both seats to the gate and more than likely there will be an empty free seat available <innocent whistle>.
THAT is an excellent idea!

Northriver

:yeahthat:

I am NOT a tech: Another option, if your oldest gains another pound, he would be big enough for a Ride Safer Travel Vest. That wouldn't provide any protection on the plane, but it would work for the car in Hawaii. It is about $100 but since your oldest child is at the minimum limits for the vest, both of your kids can get lots of use from it in years to come, since there is no expiration on the RSTV. (techs - please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Evolily

I would rather get a RSTV than the safeguard go if he pushes up to 35 lbs before the trip. He is SOOO very close to the weight limit!!! And I'd put him in the radian on the plane.

Good luck.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
And I know absolutely nothing about the RSTV but I saw someone (I think it was Hevy?) had a new one for sale in Swap in case you end up being interested in it.

jubgulia

Thanks for all the ideas!

Hmm... the RSTV on swap is a large size. Plus, I think DS1 has lost some weight. :(

We won't be getting another plane ticket. Why? Well, we can't afford it anyway, but also no one else thinks it's at all important for him to have a seat. Last week I think there was one seat left on the plane out there, but there was one next to us still open on the way back. So I guess we'll just hope that one is still open.

Another thought I had was to see if Grandpa and Grandma would contribute that $60 for the rental seat toward getting a GO or RSTV (or a seat bought there) that then could be in their car when we get back. They just got a car with LATCH. If so, which is easier to install/use, because I don't trust anyone else with a complicated install?

I had conceeded to just get a booster soon for situations similar to one that has recently occured :mad: and emergencies, but I am putting it off as long as possible (hopefully, until DS1 is 4).

tlkscott

Not sure where you are flying from but it is a very long flight. 3 hours from LAX. Don't forget that you could also have to sit on the runway for hours. If there is anyway, I say get a seat. I lived in HI for a while and I NEVER made the flight in less than 24 hours (I'm in WV and part of that time was in the airport). That's a long time to have a little on on your lap (hoping that they sleep)

Tammy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The GO is super-simple with LATCH and LATCH can be used up to 60 lbs. with it. Much more difficult with seatbelt.

The RSTV is not too difficult but if he's not at the weight limit I wouldn't do it, esp. if grandparents are using it (they might have some trouble with it.)

I'd bring the Radian on the plane, put the boot and the GO in your bag, I guess.

Or, Radian and bring a Scenera (NIB) in case, as PP suggested.

TXAggieTech

I'd use the Radian on the plane and carry on a Scenera in hopes of getting to use it. Gate check if necessary.

It is a very long flight.

LEAW

Will ds1 fit in a Scenara by height? (RF or FF, no matter at his weight) - I think my dd would have still fit at that height..

I'd take the Radian, and buy a Scenara, you can take both of them through as carseats, not as luggage. Then IF there is an open seat on the flight (when we went there were tons of open seats) find a way to nicely get them to let you use the Scenara for ds2, and the Radian for ds1.

IF there is no open seat, you quickly flip the harness up for ds1 to use the Scenara, and put the Radian in the overhead bin as if it were a carryon. It will fit. You can carry the boot as well, just in case, I've had rental cars where a RF Radian is easier than a FF, and ds1 can FF in the Scenara, that goes in just about every car FF easily.

Ask grandma for the $60 rental fee to get the Scenara. :)

In HNL there are busses leaving the airport, BUT it's not super easy to find your way to a baby store, and everything is more expensive there. If you are going on another plane to another island, you will be hard pressed to find many choices to purchase over there in any short amount of time.

calihannah

FWIW, the cheapest Scenera (Target, ~$44 on average) does NOT come in a box, so don't count on being able to check it as luggage in a box -- they come in a plastic zipper bag that would provide very little protection if it was checked as luggage.

AlishaNC82

Are you coming before the end of the year? I live here and have an Decathlon you are welcome to borrow or a frontier if your child is too big for the decathlon.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC