DH said I could get new seats

dd9736

Ok, so I told DH that I didn't want to keep moving the seats from the truck to the car, but he won't drive my car, so next week, when I get paid, I get to get 2 new seats. I currently have a radian and an EFTA, Seth is Forward facing, and almost to the 2nd to top slots on the radian, Jacob is still rearfacing.

In order to save some money in the future I was thinking that I would get 2 forwardfacing/booster combination seats, and put our current seats rfing for Jacob, one will be the nautalis, but I can't afford two. Seth is fairly tall, so what other seat would you recommend. we have a 1988 Ford Taurus and a 2005 Dodge Ram crew cab.

ADS

disbugsmomma

Is the Apex 65 available in Canada? If so, I would think about getting one of those as long as there are headrests or high seatbacks. My dd has an Apex in Papa's 2004 Ram 3500 and it fits like a dream.

Evolily

I am thinking an evenflo generations, evenflo chase, or graco cargo might work. They all go up to around 47 or 48 lbs in canada. Your son would probably a little less torso room in those as he would have in the Apex.

I'm not totally sure, but I think the generations and cargo have around 17 in top harness, the chase around a 16.5- in comparison the radian has 17 in top harness, but allows the shoulders to go over. When your DS outgrows those you may be able to move your younger DS to one of those, and then put your older DS back into the radian or maybe even a dedicated booster.

Good luck!

dd9736

Ok, I'm trying to figure this out, so I'm going to write it out

Apex cannot go in my car, it would have to go in the truck, no headrest, but it has the best harness height, and weight, it is the most expensive

Do the chase and Generations make Ok boosters? The picture of the chase on the sears website doesn't really show it. the Chase is $120 at sears (lowest priced seat), mind you, it only gives 2" of growth, at 2.5, how long would that last? Oh, and the evenflo site says they only go up to 40lbs harnessed, not 47.

I don't like the look of the Cargo, it does not look like an acceptable booster, and DH would want to use it anyway, I'm not going to let it happen.

Evolily

Um, get the cargo and pop off the belt guides and just don't tell him it's a booster? The evenflo site is listing the US weight limits- here all 3 go to 40 lbs.

The Generations can make an acceptable booster. It all depends on the kid and your car. 2.5 inches could easily take a year or two, depending on the child, and it's possible he would have more growing room than that as the real time use would vary. My thought is that if it lasts a year you can then swap it out for the radian and put your younger DS in it, who will hopefully be at least 3 by then and possibly have to FF anyway.

I would at least try it out to see how much room you really have (ETA- I actually wouldn't purchase EITHER without trying them first). The Apex only has 17.5 (give or take) inches. If you can swing the Apex w/out going hungry then definitely do so, because it will last much longer.

mom1mg

My two cents :twocents:.
What about a truefit? We have both a truefit and a generations and I really like both seats. The generations seems to have more growing room in the crotch area and a great adjustment mechanism to tighten the straps, but a much lower weight limit. The truefit harnesses to 65 pounds and is often on sale. Although I don't like the strap adjuster as much it is a well made, comfortable seat even for bigger kids and will give you lots of growing room at a great price (especially on sale). My DS#1 who is riding in it is about 44 pounds, 45 inches and 6.5 years (so although he is a little on the smaller side - he isn't the smallest in his class of grade oners.) He has LOTS of room in the harness - he is just barely on the top slot.

mommycat

Here is the list of all the HWH seats available in Canada:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=36056

One question up front - have you instaled the Radian RF in either vehicle to make sure you can get a good fit? I would check that because if you have issues with that not fitting in RF then you may as well buy another cheaper convertible instead. How much do your boys weigh? You might consider doing that anyway, since you still have TONS of room in the Radian to possibly get DS1 to booster age, and you could save money now and then buy a good but less expensive dedicated booster later. The cost tends to balance mostly in the end, anyway. I might just get a Nauti for one vehicle, use the Radian in the other, and get DS2 something like the TF on sale, an EFTA, or even just a new Scenera (35 lb RF limit and less than $70 at Walmart!). And then there is no chance chance that DH will want to use an ill-fitting booster just because you already own it.

If you definitely want to get combination seats, here are my thoughts on that:

The Chase/Vision/Traditions can be had for $99 at Zellers, Walmart, TRU (some patterns) and I think CT? Although I guess only the Chase has slots to almost 17"? It says it makes an OK booster in that thread, but the feeling I get from reading posts around here is that OK really means "not that great" to "rather bad" in a lot of cases. The Generations makes a better booster, I believe, I know a lot of people like that seat.

How about getting the Apex for the truck, like mentioned? It makes a decent booster. And the Nauti for your car. Is it the cost that is turning you off that choice? Is the Nauti still on sale for $199 at Walmart? For that cost difference, I might just try to scrape up the $$ and get 2. You could also see how hard it is to install in both the vehicles and if it goes in easily, you could get 1 now and keep switching just that for a while until you save up some money for a 2nd one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC