Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Boosters and planes with lap/shoulder belts

Ok, so we all know that boosters are not certified by the FAA for use on commercial aircraft due to the seatbelt systems used (lap-only). So what about small, private aircraft with lap/shoulder belts? Sure, it wouldn't be FAA approved since the FAA does not specifically address personal aircraft with lap/shoulder belts in all seating positions. I'm just thinking about the safety issues here with using a booster.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Boosters and planes with lap/shoulder belts

I think technically you're not supposed to do it, because it's not certified for aircraft.

To be approved for aircraft, in addition to the car tests, there are two inversion tests that the restraint must pass. Basically, they put a dummy in, and rotate the whole assembly (plane seat, with carseat and dummy attached) forward, and see if the dummy falls out. If it falls out, it fails. If it stays in, it passes. Then they do the same thing, rotating to the side instead of forward.

If a booster makes the belt fit better on an airplane, and there's a shoulder belt to restrain the upper body, you could make the parental decision to use it.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Well, yes, but the whole point of the inversion test is that commercial airplanes only have lap belts. Small aircraft with lap/shoulder belts aren't addressed at all. If you did the inversion test with a booster and a l/s belt, the dummy would stay in (actually, I really think that a dummy with a booster and a lap only belt would stay in as well).

CPS Technician

I would probably do it. There is no point in using a booster w/ a lap only belt, though I saw one last time we flew. I wonder if the FA caught that before we took off?
    Jennifer, Special Needs CPST, peds nurse, and CSFTL Admin mom to:
    AJ-13 (five steps), Evan-11 (nbb),
    Ilana-9 (nbb) ,
    Olivia-7 (hbb), and
    Unity-3 (rf and ff)

I'm thinking I'll probably do it once DD outgrows the EFTA & TF. It would really be the only option since I'm sure she wouldn't fit the l/s belt properly.

CPST Instructor

I am not sure how it would work with the older style l/s belts in our plane. The don't retract, but adjust with a slide through buckle (think like the belts on a grocery cart adjust) up where they attach to the wall, then just have a little hole where a post clips in by the hip. I am thinking it would change the angle of the post/clip part so that it would not stay connected. I don't know what they look like in newer planes, so maybe they would work better there.

BTW they would not be "outlawed" by the FAA, using them would be up to the pilot (they are not certified for flight, but it would be "up to the pilot-in-command's discretion")

I can try it this weekend, if I remember to grab the booster when we head out, and will take pics if we do.
    Jess, CPST and mom to 6 girls
    W(7/28) is rocking an Aton, S(3) rides in a Nextfit or RXT, O(6) has a Frontier 90, the big girls (9, 11) have Monterey Boosters and incognitos, and the oldest is 15, wears a seat belt and is driving!

I was just trying to give you all the info about the differences in testing for FAA approval vs not having the approval. With all the info, you are best prepared to make your parental decision.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

The ones on the plane we would be using have an ALR lap belt portion and an ELR shoulder belt and come out of the seat itself. Here's a pic.

ETA: the ones in the 3rd row are what I was looking at in the plane itself. In that pic it looks like the shoulder belt comes from the ceiling, but I think there's a positioner on the seat.

CPST Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by pixels99 View Post
    I was just trying to give you all the info about the differences in testing for FAA approval vs not having the approval. With all the info, you are best prepared to make your parental decision.
    I wasn't criticizing, just trying to clarify also. (its so hard to read tone)
    W(7/28) is rocking an Aton, S(3) rides in a Nextfit or RXT, O(6) has a Frontier 90, the big girls (9, 11) have Monterey Boosters and incognitos, and the oldest is 15, wears a seat belt and is driving!

CPST Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by An Aurora View Post
    The ones on the plane we would be using have an ALR lap belt portion and an ELR shoulder belt and come out of the seat itself. Here's a pic.

ETA: the ones in the 3rd row are what I was looking at in the plane itself. In that pic it looks like the shoulder belt comes from the ceiling, but I think there's a positioner on the seat.
    Umm, ya that is a lot nicer and newer plane than we fly