Disposing of expired Turbos

ADS
U

Unregistered1

1. Take the covers off (and keep them, extra covers are nice to have and if you don't want them, someone will probably buy them on CL or somewhere like that)
2. Using a permenant marker, write DO NOT USE, EXPIRED, DANGEROUS, etc all over the plastic.
3. Throw them away ON garbage day in black (not see-through) garbage bags.

I am in Columbus and unfortunately we do NOT have a car seat recycling program, so this is the best we can do.

Hope this helps! :)

libranbutterfly

I may be interested in a couple covers if they're pretty :)

I agree with Katie since unfortunately we do not have a carseat recycling program near me either.

MonsterMom6

I may be interested in a couple covers if they're pretty :)

I agree with Katie since unfortunately we do not have a carseat recycling program near me either.

You can have the covers for free if you'd like (I may keep one for the base of my other TB just in case). I don't have any idea of the pattern name, but it's kind of a grey "tweedy" with a few spots of black trim. Model # is 8498ASH if that helps, DOM 2/03. I can say with certainty that it's more "manly" than pretty. They would fit the older style headrest, with less EPS foam. I have a newer Turbo that is thicker at the wings.

Thanks MissKatie and libranbutterfly for the advice on disposal. Kills me for it to go to landfill. Can I put with the recycling or does it go to the trash??? What do they do at seat checks when they take unsafe seats?

ETA: Here's a link to an old eBay auction with a picture of the cover. The photo doesn't really show the "tweediness" of the fabric. PM me if you have an interest in a cover.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Graco-8498...|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50#ebayphotohosting

Last edited:
U

Unregistered1

You can have the covers for free if you'd like (I may keep one for the base of my other TB just in case). I don't have any idea of the pattern name, but it's kind of a grey "tweedy" with a few spots of black trim. Model # is 8498ASH if that helps, DOM 2/03. I can say with certainty that it's more "manly" than pretty. They would fit the older style headrest, with less EPS foam. I have a newer Turbo that is thicker at the wings.

Thanks MissKatie and libranbutterfly for the advice on disposal. Kills me for it to go to landfill. Can I put with the recycling or does it go to the trash??? What do they do at seat checks when they take unsafe seats?

ETA: Here's a link to an old eBay auction with a picture of the cover. The photo doesn't really show the "tweediness" of the fabric. PM me if you have an interest in a cover.

I know, it's frustrating that they have to just go to a landfill. You have to just put them in the regular trash, the recycling won't take them and if you put them somewhere that they're visible to someone driving down your street, they'll just take them and use them anyways.

I'd love for someone to start a car seat recycling program around here but our public programs just don't have the resources and people like me who are actually interested in CPS don't have the time. When we take old seats at seat checks they usually go home with one of the techs to get chopped up and disposed of. Firefighter techs collect them and use some type of vehicle to crush them, then throw them away.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC