Best Car Seat for an Old Car

ctbcleveland

So, DH bought an old mercury. I am aware that the safety standards differ from today's vehicles - we don't need to dig into that.

I'd like to get a car seat to use in the back of the car.

Should I get a get something like a boulevard with lots of SIP protection and EPS foam that is easy to install? Or should I get a My Ride, which will let DS rear-face forever? DS is roughly 30 lbs and 2 yrs old.

Vehicle will have lap belts only..

ADS

musicmaj

Do you even need lock offs with lap belt only installs?

I would get a my ride and keep him rearfacing longer.

Pixels

Can you use lockoffs instead of a belt shortening clip for a lap only belt with ELR?

You don't need lockoffs for a belt with a tail or ALR.

ctbcleveland

I am not familiar with the different terminology - they are similar to airline seatbelts where you pull them to the desired tightness.

Maedze

Lap belt with a tail. Those are actually perfect for installing car seats :) (About the only thing they're good for!)

He's the deal with side-impact-protection...it's a buzz word with no legal meaning. A child who is in a five point harness, with deep side shells and EPS foam pretty much by definition has side impact protection. Once you throw in rearfacing into the mix...well....that's as much SIP as you could possibly have regardless of what the box says :p

ctbcleveland

Then the "My Ride" it is....maybe I am just looking for a way to justify a new seat.

I've never paid much attention to the SIP hype - but that is because I drive two newer hondas, so they give about as much crash protection as any other car out there.

skaterbabs

Installing seats with lap-only belts is pretty easy, your best bet is to just try seats until you find one you like.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I am not familiar with the different terminology

www.cpsafety.org > left side key: LOCKING IN A CHILD RESTRAINT

A non retracting lap-only belt center locks on its own at the latch plate, as long as the belt & its excess "tail" are parallel to eachother (not perpendicular).

A retracting lap belt might also lock on its own when the locking mechanism is engaged. This is called an Automatic Locking Retractor. An Emergency Locking Retractor (usually found on lap/shoulder belts) cannot be manually engaged.

A carseat (with energy absorbing foam) correctly installed & used in the center of an older car isn't that much different than in a new car (unless we're factoring in rear side curtain airbags) that I would worry about my child. I would worry much more about myself in an older car, especially if I'm up front. :twocents:

just my :twocents: : Since you're going to want to keep your LO in this seat for a loooooong time, I'd be more inclined to check out something like a Radian or TrueFit that has a lower profile, so that when he's 5 or 6 and sees more classmates riding in boosters, his seat won't look quite so obviously "convertible" as seats that sit higher on their bases like the MyRide or the MA/DC/BV

ctbcleveland

Thanksgiving Twins Mom - This vehicle is a classic car - not an every day driver. We would probably use it once a week, at most, during the summer months only.

So - it is more of a treat to ride in it - I am not concerned about the stigma of riding in traditional convertible seat.

I thought about a true-fit - but I am getting 5 lbs less of rear-facing weight limit, still no rear-facing tether, and it costs more.

Papooses - thanks for the helpful explanation. We use LATCH in one vehicle and use a seat with a built-in locking clip in the other, so I am not as familiar with seatbelt terminology yet. Unfortunately, it won't be long because of low LATCH limits on Hondas.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC