Question Let's say your state has a 6/60 law for boosters

HEVY

and you are going to visit a state that has an 8/80 law, which law are you to follow? Would you get a ticket if you didn't look into the laws of the state you are visiting (most won't) and didn't know, or would they let you off? Hypothetically speaking.

ADS

Joyofbirth

Technically, you'd get a ticket. My aunt was pulled over for something while driving through a neighboring state. The cop told her it was her responsibility to know the laws and follow them. I think it was a different u-turn law than our state has, but I can't really remember. But you might get a cop who gives you grace because you're visiting. Or who doesn't know or care about the booster law.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Follow the laws in the more strict state. However I've never met a 6 year old, 60 pound child who fit in an adult seatbelt properly, so my kids would be boostered anyways.

AtTheSouthDam

I do live in a 6/60 state (CO) and visit a 8/80 state (IL) regularly. I make sure I know the child restrain laws of the all the states we pass through on our way and follow their laws. You can get a ticket even if you are just visiting. Of course, I think the people on this are going to be an exception and have their child properly retrained regardless ;)

Mama!

We have a 9/4'9/90 or something like that rule around here, and we have tons of tourists who apparently come from 4/40 states and they never do anything diff. We've never seen or heard of anyone getting ticketed either. :thumbsdown:

HEVY

We have a 9/4'9/90 or something like that rule around here, and we have tons of tourists who apparently come from 4/40 states and they never do anything diff. We've never seen or heard of anyone getting ticketed either. :thumbsdown:

Oooo, I like your law, ours is only 8/80.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
In Maryland, everyone must follow our child pass law. We were the last of the states surrounding us to move the booster law to 8 yrs.

Susan

Pixels

When you're in a state, you have to follow the laws of THAT state, not your home state. If the speed limit is 75 on the highways at home, and you try going 75 in a state with a 55 mph limit, you will be ticketed. The same thing is true when you are talking about child restraints.

Maedze

When you're in a state, you have to follow the laws of THAT state, not your home state. If the speed limit is 75 on the highways at home, and you try going 75 in a state with a 55 mph limit, you will be ticketed. The same thing is true when you are talking about child restraints.

Precisely. Actually, I think that was my example. :whistle: :p

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've always heard "ignorance of the law is no excuse." I think that applies here. I think people who don't check traffic laws before travelling are often the same ones who ignore them (or are unaware) at home, though. :whistle:

Qarin

Although... some states child passenger safety laws only apply in vehicles registered in the state. Most do NOT have this exemption, but, for example, Alabama (not a high-age state, by any stretch... pretty awful law):

Section 32-5-222
Child passenger restraints; required for children under six; penalty.
(a) Every person transporting a child under the age of six years in a motor vehicle registered in this state and operated on the roadways, streets, or highways of this state, shall provide for the protection of the child by properly using a child passenger restraint system meeting applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards. Provided that, with respect to a child who is either four or five years of age, the term "child passenger restraint system meeting applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards" shall be deemed to include seat belts installed by the motor vehicle manufacturer, dealer or owner. Provided that in no event shall failure to wear a child passenger restraint system be considered as contributory negligence. Provided that the term "motor vehicle" as used in this section shall not apply to trucks or buses having tonnage rating of one ton or more.
(b) No provision of this section shall be construed as creating any duty, standard of care, right, or liability between parent and child that is not recognized under the laws of the State of Alabama as they presently exist, or may, at any time in the future, be constituted by statute or decision.
(c) Any person violating the provisions of this section may be fined not more than $10.00 for each offense.
(d) The provisions of this section notwithstanding, nothing contained herein shall be deemed a violation of any law which would otherwise nullify or change in any way the provisions or coverage of any insurance contract.
(Acts 1982, No. 82-421, p. 663; Acts 1989, No. 89-781, p.1562, §1.)

9/05

Ohio, too (this isn't the whole law; it's also a 4/40 state):

When any child who is in either or both of the following categories is being transported in a motor vehicle, other than a taxicab or public safety vehicle as defined in section 4511.01 of the Revised Code, that is registered in this state and is required by the United States department of transportation to be equipped with seat belts at the time of manufacture or assembly, the operator of the motor vehicle shall have the child properly secured in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions in a child restraint system that meets federal motor vehicle safety standard:

Also Arkansas. Possibly others.

There sure are some bad laws out there.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Although... some states child passenger safety laws only apply in vehicles registered in the state. Most do NOT have this exemption, but, for example, Alabama (not a high-age state, by any stretch... pretty awful law):

Ohio, too (this isn't the whole law; it's also a 4/40 state):

Also Arkansas. Possibly others.

There sure are some bad laws out there.

Ohio has a new 8 OR 4'9" booster law!

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Ohio has a new 8 OR 4'9" booster law!
Not Yet :( They keep pushing the start date back! It doesn't even go into effect till early Oct now with no punishment till like April of 2010!!!:thumbsdown:

I know it got pushed back, but it's still there, which is good! It's still a law, just not in effect yet :)

I'm moving there soon (in less than 2.5 months, maybe sooner), and dd is past her 8th birthday, but staying in a booster for a very long time!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC