Best convertible for RF?

tracee877

I am looking for a convertible seat that is the easiest to install RF. DS2 is currently in a MA and I am just not happy with it installed in the center of my backseat (2006 Honda Accord). I have to use the seatbelt of course and the darn lock offs will not stay shut so I have to pull the belt all the way out to lock it. That makes the seat tilt to one side so I have the tether on the opposite side to counteract that but it still leans some. Also, the base tries to slip up when I tighten the tether. It does not move more than an inch at the beltpath but the install still irks me. And it has to be in the middle b/c my 2 older kids CANNOT sit side by side if you know what I mean.:rolleyes: Anyway, is there a convertible that is super easy to install RF? I wish they would make a seat for bigger kids that was made to exclusively RF. I have only ever had Britax seats RF so I'm just wondering if there is an easier seat out there. Any opinions?

ADS

natysr

How old is your marathon? Britax flipped the direction of the lockoffs a couple of years ago, so now they do not pop open anymore. You could first try to call them to see if they will send you new lock offs. That would be the cheapest solution. (you can now also use one or both of the lock-offs at the same time)

That being said...

The true fit has very sturdy lock offs. They can be a bit trick to close (sometimes you need two hands to close them) but they don't have any issues popping off. But...that seat does not allow rearfacing tethering, so if you really like that feature, you may want to consider the.....

Sunshine Kids Radian. The radian may work for you because it is much more narrow, so it would give your older kids a bit more room. (I honestly don't know how well it installs in the center of a honda accord, but you could try to do a search on the board for it). You can tether the Radian rearfacing. The Radian has a very tall seatback with can make it difficult to fit rearfacing...but since you need it in the center, that shouldn't be an issue, because the seatback can slip between the two front seats, allowing more room. The down side is that it can be difficult (nearly impossible in some cases) to get it installed more upright than 45 degrees.

tracee877

Thank you for posting! My MA has a DOM of 4/09 so pretty new. I will try to get the lockoffs to work. I do love the added stability of the tether, but it's not necessary I guess. I looked at a TF IRL and was not crazy about it. It looked awfully wide and when I tried him in it, he was drowning in it LOL! Plus the crotch strap seemed short. I could try a Radian I guess. But I'll see if I can get the lockoffs to work on the MA.

Pixels

The seat protector that you have under the seat may be causing some of the slipping. Seat protectors are a nono anyway, so I'd start by taking that out.

It looks like you're not using the lockoff on the same side as the buckle. You can use one or both lockoffs (or neither if you lock the belt). If you use both lockoffs, that will give you a little insurance against one opening. If you also lock the belt after closing the lockoffs, that will give you even more insurance.

tracee877

Thanks! Didn't know that about the seat protector! Is there anything I can use under it to protect the leather?

lovinwaves

Radian! That will gives your older two kids PLENTY of room to sit on each side. It will also allow room for two adults as well. The Radian is so narrow that it will probably just fit between your two front seats, so your front passengers won't have to give up any of that beloved leg room, and seat recline.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
uh...I would be pretty upset about a brand spankin new Ma that has broken lock-offs, quite frankly. They would be fixing that........

natysr

Have you tried finding a tech in your area to help you out? Sometimes having someone in person to show you some tips and tricks may help.

I also don't see any booster seats in your car. Do both of your older children already pass the 5 step test?

Also, the RFing tether is not there to add stability to the install. It is actually a safety feature that prevents the carseat from cacooning in a crash.

mommy-medic

If using the lap/shoulder belt is making it tilt when you lock and install tightly, try this: (gonna try to describe as best as I can, easier when shown in person)

Install the seat and buckle the buckle. Then pull the seatbelt all the way out and lock it. Now- to tighten it without making it tilt, pull as much of the slack out of the lap section as possible till you have to really start making it tight. It usually tilts from pulling upward on the shoulder part to get the last bits of slack out, so put your hand on TOP of the shoulder part right where it enters the car seat and PUSH downward toward the vehicle seat- this can help pull slack from inside the car seat since the seatbelt is locked- then hand over hand feed the slack back up into the seatbelt retractor without pulling on the car seat. If you do that a couple times it can really help get a rock solid install without the tilt. (and I agree- finding a tech would be another free option because the MA will last you a long time RFing!) HTH>

tracee877

Have you tried finding a tech in your area to help you out? Sometimes having someone in person to show you some tips and tricks may help.

I also don't see any booster seats in your car. Do both of your older children already pass the 5 step test?

Also, the RFing tether is not there to add stability to the install. It is actually a safety feature that prevents the carseat from cacooning in a crash.

I have not tried to find a tech yet, but may go that route. My DS1 does pass the 5 step test. I'm not sure if my DD does :eek: but there are no boosters that I can fit next to DS2's seat.:( And believe me I have tried them ALL. I do however have side curtain airbags. Oh and thanks for the info on the tether, I did not know that!:thumbsup:

If using the lap/shoulder belt is making it tilt when you lock and install tightly, try this: (gonna try to describe as best as I can, easier when shown in person)

Install the seat and buckle the buckle. Then pull the seatbelt all the way out and lock it. Now- to tighten it without making it tilt, pull as much of the slack out of the lap section as possible till you have to really start making it tight. It usually tilts from pulling upward on the shoulder part to get the last bits of slack out, so put your hand on TOP of the shoulder part right where it enters the car seat and PUSH downward toward the vehicle seat- this can help pull slack from inside the car seat since the seatbelt is locked- then hand over hand feed the slack back up into the seatbelt retractor without pulling on the car seat. If you do that a couple times it can really help get a rock solid install without the tilt. (and I agree- finding a tech would be another free option because the MA will last you a long time RFing!) HTH>

Very good job explaining!:thumbsup: I do however do exactly as you described and for some reason I just can't get ALL the slack out. The belt sort of comes out at an angle and it's really far off to the side.

I'm about to go and try to reinstall with all the tricks posted! I'll report back later!:)

natysr

I have not tried to find a tech yet, but may go that route. My DS1 does pass the 5 step test. I'm not sure if my DD does :eek: but there are no boosters that I can fit next to DS2's seat.:( And believe me I have tried them ALL. I do however have side curtain airbags. Oh and thanks for the info on the tether, I did not know that!:thumbsup:

If that is the case, I would seriously check your DD to evaluate her fit in the belt.

Side curtain airbags will not protect your DD from seat belt syndrome.

You must find a way to keep all of your children safe. There must be something out there that will work. (I rode in the car of another member of this board. She had a Corolla and fit Jordan RFing in a Marathon in the center, and her two kids on either side of him in high back boosters. It was a tight fit, but it did work.

You may want to consider selling your Marathon and getting a Radian. That would give you even more room.

Suzibeck

Yes, double check your dd to see if she passes the 5 step test. If not, you can pull a booster out to buckle it and then push it back into place and tighten the belt. A pain in the rear, to be sure, but it works. This is what I do when I have to put 3 across in dh's Jetta. Also, the Radian would be narrower than the MA giving you extra room to buckle a booster, if one is needed.

tracee877

Ok I removed the seat protector and that worked wonders! The seat no longer slides! I also got the lock off to stay closed! So the install is perfect now! Also, I do believe my DD passes the 5 step test. There are some pics below. What do you think?

New install of MA:
003_1241911260.jpg

DS1:
001_1241911257.jpg

DD:
002_1241911258.jpg

MissAllyLou

Actually, neither of your children pass the 5-step chest, because the seat belt rides up too far on both of their necks. Also, the lap belt looks a little high on your daughters lap, it should ride low over the hip bones. Your daughter also can't rest her feet on the floor yet, another part of the 5-step test. She needs to be in a booster seat for sure, and I'd highly recommend one for your son as well.

tracee877

Hmm. I'm just not sure boosters for them are doable. My backseat curves in at both sides which makes it impossible to fit another seat on either side of DS2's seat. Any recommendations on boosters that might work?

natysr

I don't have much experience with boosters (other than to recognize that your daughter definately needs one.) You may want to start a new thread and repost the pictures of your older two and ask for recommendations. You will probably get more response that way.

Splash

Your daughter definitely needs one. Your son would benefit as well.

First, I'd get the baby out of the middle seat and put one of the older kids there. That would like make boosters more doable. Baby outboard, son middle no booster, daughter outboard backless booster. I'd like both your kids in booster, but definitely your daughter.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Your daughter definitely needs one. Your son would benefit as well.

First, I'd get the baby out of the middle seat and put one of the older kids there. That would like make boosters more doable. Baby outboard, son middle no booster, daughter outboard backless booster. I'd like both your kids in booster, but definitely your daughter.

:yeahthat: That's exactly what I would suggest. Move the baby outboard, booster on the opposite side for your daughter. With the slightly higher seat your son may pass/be closer to passing in the middle. If not, you can come back and ask us for suggestions on how to get 2 boosters in there next to a seat. As others mentioned above, the Radian for the youngest would definitely give more buckling room if you need it, but check your son's fit in the middle first. :)

tracee877

That is a good suggestion, but like I said before, they cannot sit next to each other. I have tried it many times. You'd think they are old enough to be able to sit next to each other without fighting, but alas, they're not. I was wanting to get a RA50 when it comes out, but now I'm thinking I should put the MA in DH's car and get a Radian for mine with boosters. What are the differences in the Radian's besides weight limits and the wings on the XT?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC