Vehicles for large families

4boysmom

This may come as a no brainer to btdt large families or techs but just wondering what people drive that would accomidate 5 kids in seats. My oldest (7.5) is just outgrown the nauti in height and weight (at the same time) if that gives a mental pic of his size. And then we will have a new baby come Decemberish. We have a 2000 quest currently but it is sounding from my (endless) poking around here that there may be no such thing as a three across that vehicle. I am willing to put my 7.5 and soon to be 6 yo in boosters and then 38 and 35 pounders would be forward facing in whatever. I know it is often said it is cheaper to buy new child seats than vehicle but it almost sounds like we will need to do BOTH... and the very last thing I want is after researching car safety and such is finding out that the vehicle we really really want is not 3 across capatible either and it is going to be hard to try out scenerios at a dealership without all seat combos in hand so I almost have to know ahead of time what should or will fit.

So, just in case we need to go the new (to us) vehicle route what vehicles fit 5 child seats total? 2 boosters 2 hwh and a rear facer eventual turned forward facer... Preferably in a 7/8 passenger vehicle.
We currently have 2 nauti, 2 EFTA, a compass booster and a flexloc to work with (and a Regent but frankly not holding my breath on getting that in an equation) so vehicles that take as many as those as possible would be good so we have less seats to have to buy.

ADS

christineka

We have an 8 passenger sienna. Up until yesterday afternoon I had 2 kids in boosters, one harnessed in a nautilus, and two rfing with an extra installed rfing seat. Now ds has moved from his nautilus to a booster. Not any 3 seats will fit across the back bench of the sienna, but there are a few combos that work.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
there are definitely ways to get it to work..
And there is no reason a regent wont work if it is in a captains chair..in a capt chair, it wont matter how wide it is, it will be one seat in one seating position, not like in a bench where it will be squandering room that pther seats might need, you know?

I have no experience with the quest,but it seems like a couple radians would be goodfor the 3-across.(do we know if raidians are compatible with the quest 3rd row?......so maybe the 6 yo in a regent or nauti in a capt chair, and the baby in the other capt chair, and across the back, 2 ff radians and a booster?
Or else 6 yo in a reg or nauti in capt chair, one of the ffing kids in an efta or nauti in the other capt chair, and across the back, 1 radian for the other ffing kid, 1 booster and the infant seat?

Jennifer mom to my 7

and you can put a regent, and any other seat in the third row, and then put the other 2 seats and a booster in the middle row and just move the booster if necessary, kwim?

I thought the quest has those forward of the bight seat belts?

Anyway, we did 6 kids in an 8 passenger sienna, 2 in seatbelts, booster, regent, decathlon, boulevard. But alas, we have had to move on to a 9 passenger conversion van. But I do have 3 seats set up across the middle row of the sienna now, for when we only go out with the babies:thumbsup:

4boysmom

I gotta run and get my kiddo but someone here said quests and radians likely don't get along due to forward of the bight stalks and also my third row has lap belt in the center. Not sure if you were thinking booster outboard or in the middle but that reminded me of that fact and thought I might add those tid bits :) I am still going to give a radian a shot back there and I def agree about the regent and capt. chairs but just in case I end up with a 2 or 3 seater bench in the second row the regent doesn't HAVE to be part of the equation if it muddles up possabilities. it currently resides pass third row.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
2006 or newer Kia Sedona with the long wheel base.

The widest combo I have had back there is a Radian FF drivers outboard, a Nautilus center and a Monterey booster passengers outboard.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC