Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Vehicles for large families

This may come as a no brainer to btdt large families or techs but just wondering what people drive that would accomidate 5 kids in seats. My oldest (7.5) is just outgrown the nauti in height and weight (at the same time) if that gives a mental pic of his size. And then we will have a new baby come Decemberish. We have a 2000 quest currently but it is sounding from my (endless) poking around here that there may be no such thing as a three across that vehicle. I am willing to put my 7.5 and soon to be 6 yo in boosters and then 38 and 35 pounders would be forward facing in whatever. I know it is often said it is cheaper to buy new child seats than vehicle but it almost sounds like we will need to do BOTH... and the very last thing I want is after researching car safety and such is finding out that the vehicle we really really want is not 3 across capatible either and it is going to be hard to try out scenerios at a dealership without all seat combos in hand so I almost have to know ahead of time what should or will fit.

So, just in case we need to go the new (to us) vehicle route what vehicles fit 5 child seats total? 2 boosters 2 hwh and a rear facer eventual turned forward facer... Preferably in a 7/8 passenger vehicle.
    We currently have 2 nauti, 2 EFTA, a compass booster and a flexloc to work with (and a Regent but frankly not holding my breath on getting that in an equation) so vehicles that take as many as those as possible would be good so we have less seats to have to buy.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Vehicles for large families

We have an 8 passenger sienna. Up until yesterday afternoon I had 2 kids in boosters, one harnessed in a nautilus, and two rfing with an extra installed rfing seat. Now ds has moved from his nautilus to a booster. Not any 3 seats will fit across the back bench of the sienna, but there are a few combos that work.
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

there are definitely ways to get it to work..
    And there is no reason a regent wont work if it is in a captains chair..in a capt chair, it wont matter how wide it is, it will be one seat in one seating position, not like in a bench where it will be squandering room that pther seats might need, you know?

I have no experience with the quest,but it seems like a couple radians would be goodfor the 3-across.(do we know if raidians are compatible with the quest 3rd row?......so maybe the 6 yo in a regent or nauti in a capt chair, and the baby in the other capt chair, and across the back, 2 ff radians and a booster?
    Or else 6 yo in a reg or nauti in capt chair, one of the ffing kids in an efta or nauti in the other capt chair, and across the back, 1 radian for the other ffing kid, 1 booster and the infant seat?

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

Senior Community Member Jennifer mom to my 7's Avatar

and you can put a regent, and any other seat in the third row, and then put the other 2 seats and a booster in the middle row and just move the booster if necessary, kwim?

I thought the quest has those forward of the bight seat belts?

Anyway, we did 6 kids in an 8 passenger sienna, 2 in seatbelts, booster, regent, decathlon, boulevard. But alas, we have had to move on to a 9 passenger conversion van. But I do have 3 seats set up across the middle row of the sienna now, for when we only go out with the babies
    Whatever Wendy said

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you, after all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

I gotta run and get my kiddo but someone here said quests and radians likely don't get along due to forward of the bight stalks and also my third row has lap belt in the center. Not sure if you were thinking booster outboard or in the middle but that reminded me of that fact and thought I might add those tid bits I am still going to give a radian a shot back there and I def agree about the regent and capt. chairs but just in case I end up with a 2 or 3 seater bench in the second row the regent doesn't HAVE to be part of the equation if it muddles up possabilities. it currently resides pass third row.

Senior Community Member

2006 or newer Kia Sedona with the long wheel base.

The widest combo I have had back there is a Radian FF drivers outboard, a Nautilus center and a Monterey booster passengers outboard.
    "If you don't know how to fix it, please stop breaking it." Severn Suzuki, age 12