LATCH for 1997 Chevy Suburban?

MommaDorian

I am trying to find out if our 1997 Chevy Suburban has the LATCH system or if it's possible to have it added? Does anybody know? If it doesn't, can it be added? I'd like to move on this as soon as possible. I know my 3 year old isn't safe with her current carseat and seatbelt, I'm researching new seats.

Thanks for your help!!!

Dorian (momma to Miles, Marcus and Mackenzie)

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It likely doesn't. You'd have to call Chevy to see if it can be added (or if someone here has the book with the part numbers).

What seat is your child in now? Seats can be installed perfectly safely with the seatbelt, LATCH is no safer or less safe than the seatbelt, when either is done properly.

Wendy

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
As Wendy said, it is very unlikely that lower anchors can be retrofitted into any vehicle that did not have them. The only exceptions I know are a couple VW/Audi models.

On the other hand, top tether anchors can be retrofitted into many vehicles made from 1989 until about 2003, when they became standard.

MommaDorian

She is currently in a Cosco Commuter High Back Booster Car Seat. We are going to be taking her out of that one and looking at a Graco Platinum Cargo. From what I've read it should be used with a LATCH system, right? Are there any other good seats around the same price ($100) that will hold beyond 40 lbs. She's already 38 lbs and 39" tall. She's as tall and heavy as a 4 year old, and she just turned 3 last week.

Thanks.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
If so equipped, it CAN be used with the LATCH system. In the USA, seats can be installed with either LATCH or the seatbelt. While the LATCH system may be easier in many cases, either system is just as safe as long as it results in a good fit. Also:

http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html

The Platinum Cargo, like most combination boosters, may use LATCH or the seatbelt with the 5-point harness until 40 pounds. Above 40 pounds, you use it as a booster with just the lap and shoulder seatbelt system.

There are some exceptions that go beyond 40 pounds with a 5-point harness. You can find some ideas here:

http://www.car-safety.org/basics.html#above40

You will actually find that some carseat and vehicle manufacturers recommend that you use the seatbelt instead of LATCH for harnessed seats above 40 or 48 pounds. You can find some discussions in the archives here about this topic.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
She is currently in a Cosco Commuter High Back Booster Car Seat. We are going to be taking her out of that one and looking at a Graco Platinum Cargo. From what I've read it should be used with a LATCH system, right? Are there any other good seats around the same price ($100) that will hold beyond 40 lbs. She's already 38 lbs and 39" tall. She's as tall and heavy as a 4 year old, and she just turned 3 last week.

Thanks.

The only one at that price that I can think of is the Apex 65. If you have high headrests in the vehicle you can use it. It's a combination seat, like what she's in now. It harnesses to 65 pounds and then can be used as a booster to 100. It's $99.99 at albeebaby.com right now (call them and order and ask for their free shipping on orders over $100).

hehe She's taller and heavier than my four year old. :) My neighbor was three in May and she's about the same size as your daughter. I think she's 36 pounds and 39-41 inches, not sure on her height.

Wendy

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I have a '97 Suburban also. No, LATCH can not be added. But one top tether anchor can be added at no cost through your dealer. It took me several people before I found the right person about this, but I have not had it done, as I have multiple seats (daycare) and one tether is not enough.

FWIW, I get a fabulous install with all of the big Britax convertibles, but they are well above $100. The Graco Cargo is a good seat that installs well in the Suburban, but it only harnesses to 40lbs (48lbs if you are in Canada, but then they require the use of the top tether).

The only seat that harnesses above 40lbs in the $100 price range is the Cosco Apex. http://www.specialtybaby.com/coalelapboca.html But you must use it in one of your outboard positions where you can adjust the head rest. It must be behind the seat at all times.

MelllieMa

Hi guys,
Dorian is a friend of mine, and is looking for appropriate seats for all three kids. Here's a post from another board we share:
"I need help. Miles (8) weighs 49 lbs and is 52" (4' 4"). He doesn't sit in a booster or a car seat, but he does wear a belt and never sits in the front. Marcus (6 and special needs) weighs 51 lbs and is 46" (3' 10"). He sits in a Costco Belt Positioning Booster, in both cars. http://www.coscojuvenile.com/product.asp?productID=566 He always puts the belt behind him, as it irritates his neck when it's in the front. Mackenzie (3) is 38 lbs and 39". She has a carseat in each of our cars, a Volvo sedan and a Chevy Suburban. Here is the one we use in the Suburban (which she rides in 90% of the time).http://www.kbtoys.com/genProduct.htm...194639/ctid/17 Here's the one we have in the Volvo. http://www.specialtybaby.com/coscveohscoc.html I hate this one, cuz I know it's not safe.

Ok, everybody...help me start over. What should my kids be in? Obviously I can't spend $500 on carseats all at once, but what suggestions do you have?

Thanks!!!"

Ideas, please.
We've talked about a Parkway or a backless for Miles, depending on his fit in the seat/car, and EZon rear zip or a Parkway for Marcus, and the Apex, Radian, (but $$), or Platinum Cargo with top tether for Mackenzie.
Does the ez on need to have a top tether? I don't recall. And to the best of my knowledge, there are only 6 shoulder belts in an eight seater suburban, so the two middle seating positions are lapbelt only... useless other than for a carseat install.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC