Is 3 across possible with Radian, SS1 & Parkway in 2001 Windstar? / Spinoff of Radian Successful Install Thread

valleyfam

Hope it is ok to ask these questions here. I didn't want to start a whole new thread if they could be answered quickly.

I am really ready to order the new Radian XT from Babies R Us but need to know if I can get a 3 across with an XT, Parkway, and Safe Seat 1 in the third row of a 2001 Windstar?

I noticed several of you got the 65 outboard rear any ideas on if it would work center lap belt only?

I have a 6 yr old who would use the Parkway, a 24 mo old in the XT (RF if at all possible) and an infant in the SS. This would only be for trips when my family travels with us other wise 6 year old is in a Regent and 24 mo in a Boulevard. With only 3 kids to transport I can be flexible. It is trips I need the 3 across for.

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

AtTheSouthDam

I don't know a whole lot about the Windstar. Does the third row have the stow and go style bench? If not, how horizontal is the bench? I cannot put the XT RF in the third row of the Ford Freestar. The rear bench is too flat and the seat is over reclined. Then you add that the shell is so tall that it sits on the center bench. If you have two captains chairs in the middle it would solve that problem but it will still be over reclined.

You MIGHT be able to do three across with the radian FF. I only have a Radian out of those three seats nad mine is not a '01 Windstar. Sorry :(

scatterbunny

I had a 99 Windstar, but I'm pretty sure it's the same as the 01. The third row is really narrow. :( I can install the Radian in the middle lapbelt spot, but I could barely fit a Britax Starriser backless (same as Fisher Price Safe Voyage backless) on the narrowest setting and a Britax Bodyguard (about 16 inches wide at the widest point, the torso wings, where it comes in contact with the Radian). I honestly wouldn't have high hopes for the SS1 and PW, but I'm not always right.

Last edited:

April

I have a parkway and a radian and a 2002 windstar. I could try those two in the back tonight and then measure how much space is left. Do you want the radian center RF?

valleyfam

Thanks everyone. I feel like I've spent half of the past year trying to find a way to get 3 across the back bench of the Windstar. I love my van and everything about it is super car seat friendly except for the width of the back bench.

The 01 does not have the seat that folds down flat and into the floor. I'm pretty sure that started with the 03 when Ford turn the Windstar into the Freestar.

I'm pretty sure the 99 is the same is mine. Thanks for the pics. Boy even with the radian there isn't much room! Your bodyguard looks a lot like the Parkway so that makes me more nervous. The reason I would buy the Radian is for the whole 3 across thing.

I think the 02 is the same back seat as mine. I like the idea of the radian rf center just because I'm afraid it may be too tall to to go rf behind the captain's chairs. But it is not a requirement.

I really wish I could find a IRL Radian to play with before I spend the money. (sigh)

Thanks again everybody. I feel like I may drive everyone on the board nuts with this! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC