Spica cast and outgrown hippo....

Shaunam

Not my kid. ;)

I got a pm on another board about a 5 year old boy who has outgrown the hippo by height and is having hip surgery on tuesday. So he'll be in a spica cast.

The mom is wondering about a modified ez on vest, but she's concerned because of his width on the seat....is a little overhang ok?

Here is her wording:

"J is having hip surgery on tuesady and will be in a hip spika cast to below his knees on both legs. He is 41 pounds uncasted, 5 yrs old and about 41-42 inches tall.( with a long torso). I am thinking his only option would be a modified easy on vest across my bench seat. ( he was sat in a hippo last July and was at the max height for it then.) But I was wondering if his leg hangs over the seat could you still use the vest. I would not think so, but can not find any info on it either way. He is currently in a travellor plus and I don't think that will work either as the PA said he will not be able to sit at a 90 degree angle. I am thinking we may have to use ambo transport if we go to appts and such. As the only bench seat in my van is the rear row, the middle is 2 captains chairs. I don't have any experience with kids in spika casts and carseasts and was hoping you would know how to answer my queations, I left a message for Riley's hospital car seat program and have not heard back yet."

I verified that the hippo is actually outgrown. She said he was over the top slots last July NOT in a cast.

Anyone know?

ADS

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
I don't know the answer to this question, but I would encourage mom to call EZ-On tomorrow: 1-800-323-6598

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I think it's quite possible that he'll still fit in the TP once the cast is on. More than likely, they will cast him in a semi-reclined sitting position and if that's the case - he should still fit. He might not be able to sit at a 90* angle but he'll probably be casted in a sitting position.

However, if he's casted below the knees that means he won't be able to bend at the knees. I don't know what kind of van she has but have her play with the seating to see how much room she can make for his legs. My captain's chairs have fore/aft positions - not sure about her van. Also, the front passenger seat can be moved all the way forward if necessary. That means anyone who normally sits up front will have to sit in back instead but that shouldn't be a big deal. Finally, some front passenger seats can fold down forward so you can lay something long and flat on top. If her front passenger seat folds this way it might be possible for him to use the front seat as an ottoman, kwim?

If he can still use the TP they might want to put a folded towel behind him (if there's a gap) just to make him more comfortable. Just take care not to interfere with the harness in any way.

As for the modified vest - I know very little about this product but I'm sure the reps at E-Z-On would be able to answer all her questions.

HTH!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Another thing that was mentioned they're doing down here in my tech class this week, is the Safeguard GO in a more reclined position. Basically, put it in the captain's chair, but then because it has that flexible back it can be reclined as much as needed. It is a heck of a lot cheaper than a SN seat too...

U

Unregistered

Would it be possible to put him in a captains chair reclined all the way back and use a safe rider vest and support his lower legs with a cushion?

I helped care for a little girl in a Spica cast for a while, when we had to go anywhere we put her in the captains chair on the passenger side, reclined the seat all the way back, padded any gaps with towels and receiving blankets and put the seat belt on her with an 86 Y harness. She was ok that way for very short rides...10 to 15 minuets but the weight of her feet hanging off the seat made her uncomfortable...we finally got that settled by inflating a big yoga/workout ball we bought at Target for $15 with enough air that it filled the gap between the front of her seat and the back of the seat in front of her... it was tight enough that it was not going to go anywhere and she could rest her feet on it with out any pressure points.
She was a bit bigger...7 years and 53lbs pre cast.

mommycat

I have nothing to add to the special needs info, but just wanted to say - that sounds like an interesting idea with the exercise ball! I have heard of using styrofoam coolers for leg support for FF kids, but the ball sounds more adjustable. :thumbsup:

Synchro246

I have nothing to add to the special needs info, but just wanted to say - that sounds like an interesting idea with the exercise ball! I have heard of using styrofoam coolers for leg support for FF kids, but the ball sounds more adjustable. :thumbsup:

And more environmentally friendly, durable, useful, and stable :thumbsup:

U

Unregistered

Not my kid. ;)

I got a pm on another board about a 5 year old boy who has outgrown the hippo by height and is having hip surgery on tuesday. So he'll be in a spica cast.

The mom is wondering about a modified ez on vest, but she's concerned because of his width on the seat....is a little overhang ok?

Here is her wording:

"J is having hip surgery on tuesady and will be in a hip spika cast to below his knees on both legs. He is 41 pounds uncasted, 5 yrs old and about 41-42 inches tall.( with a long torso). I am thinking his only option would be a modified easy on vest across my bench seat. ( he was sat in a hippo last July and was at the max height for it then.) But I was wondering if his leg hangs over the seat could you still use the vest. I would not think so, but can not find any info on it either way. He is currently in a travellor plus and I don't think that will work either as the PA said he will not be able to sit at a 90 degree angle. I am thinking we may have to use ambo transport if we go to appts and such. As the only bench seat in my van is the rear row, the middle is 2 captains chairs. I don't have any experience with kids in spika casts and carseasts and was hoping you would know how to answer my queations, I left a message for Riley's hospital car seat program and have not heard back yet."

I verified that the hippo is actually outgrown. She said he was over the top slots last July NOT in a cast.

Anyone know?
my son is being put in a spica cast how did you deal with it..??

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC