Special needs help requested

mommy-medic

I have been asked by our head CPST at work to ask on here for information regarding both the Britax MultiTech and the Britax 2WayPlus (?)

Here is the scenario: One of our firefighters/techs had a grandson (she is primary caretaker) who is significantly special needs. At 18 months and nearing 30 lbs, the child cannot hold his head up or swallow. He needs to be suctioned approximately every 15 minutes around the clock. The child needs to remain rear facing and reclined for as long as any seat anywhere allows. She is familiar with NHTSA and importing and using foreign seats, and because of the child's medical needs, has elected to get information of the longest possible RFing seats out there. They are familiar with the Graco MyRide coming out, but the child's condition is not going to change and he would outgrow it too soon. Their only other option would be a reclined wheelchair and a wheelchair van- a little more $$$$ than just getting a foreign seat for a few years.

Anyway- if anyone can tell me anything about either of these two seats I would appreciate it and be able to pass it along. Please don't flame- This is a difficult situation and she is wanting to do whatever works best for the child. She is familiar with the risks and legalities, and just requesting information. As it is now she only leaves the house to go to and from doctor's visits. Thanks so much.

ADS

Mama Jo

I think in the first link I posted, there's a ton of info on both from people who live where they're legal and who own one or both seats. I was reading through a little bit of it the other night, but I don't remember any of it off the top of my head. They look like really nice seats. And there's some really big kids RF'ing.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I see 1 issue with using one of the bigger rf seats. I am not sure it would give enough recline for such a child, kwim? From what I have seen, the multi tech and two way are usually at least as upright as 30*, and it seems this child may need closer to the 45, kwim?

twinsmom

I would email Adventuredad (you can find him on this forum, or carseat.se). He can tell you the differences between the seats and your options. The MT does not recline. I think the Two Way Elite does. You can also try to PM Lena (Lenats31, I think her username is). She has info on both seats, as she owns them both. The Canadian forum has a thread called "Pictures of Multi Tech" - something like that - where Lena gives comparisons of both seats (sorry, I don't know how to link to a specific thread). Hope that helps.

Last edited:

twinsmom

I see 1 issue with using one of the bigger rf seats. I am not sure it would give enough recline for such a child, kwim? From what I have seen, the multi tech and two way are usually at least as upright as 30*, and it seems this child may need closer to the 45, kwim?

I believe the TWE can recline to 45*; but you should double check with AD. The MT cannot.

ETA: I went back and checked the post on the Canadian forum. Here's what Lena said about the TWE:

"Angle varies from one car to the next. This is an app. 10 degree angle install. I did not meassure it. Some very young children can have trouble keeping their heads up when sleeping. But this is a seat that you can install at a 45 degree angle. I have not heard or read of any older child (15 months +) who has faced this kind of problem."

The thread is called "Pictures of Multi Tech"; the third page of responses shows the pics. Somewhere in that thread she gives a great comparison of the two seats. Sorry again that I don't know how to link a thread!

Mama Jo

The thread is called "Pictures of Multi Tech"; the third page of responses shows the pics. Somewhere in that thread she gives a great comparison of the two seats. Sorry again that I don't know how to link a thread!

It's the first link I put up above :) :thumbsup:

mommy-medic

Ladies thank you so much for your help. I will pass this along to our head guy so he can get her the info she needs and help make the best decision for the child.

Shaunam

Obviously rf'ing as long as possible is best, but I see kids with similar issues all the time in britax travellers and they have great support. And the merritt roosevelt just added a cap that holds the child's head up. So if importing isn't possible (or reasonable) these are still great choices when he outgrows the rfing seats. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC