looking for infant seat/stroller system

L

lovely4961

I'm a 1st time mom-to-be trying to wrap my brain around all the baby product options available. We want an infant car seat that will attach to a stroller. Here are my questions (I hope you all can advise):
1- Must we choose a seat and stroller from the same manufacturer (and are they sold together as a unit or separately)?
2 - Are all infant seat-compatible strollers also usable as regular strollers (without the infant seat when the baby is too big for the infant seat)?
3 - What infant carseat/stroller systems would you reccommend (or recommend against)??

It seems there is a maze of information out there and I am having a heck of a time with it. :confused: I really appreciate any thoughts you women would share with me.

ADS

LuvBug

no you dont have to use the same seat and stroller brand. I used a graco seat on a kolcraft stroller then a safety 1st seat on a graco stroller. You just need to try them out together first and make sure the infant seat secures to the stroller(either by clicking onto a bar or the tray-mine was the tray- or the stroller has a strap to attach it with)
yes all strollers that come with infant seats are just regular strollers.
I personally have not found a complete system I loved but a mix and matched system. My advice is to go to babies r us, birlington coat factory, walmart, and places like that and take down their displays to play with. Push them around, load them with stuff, find one you know you could live with.

One system I will recommend is this one(also available in other patterns at other places)
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4725679
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4359221
it has a graco safeseat, which is a highly recommended infant seat, and the graco quattro stroller that my sister has and I liked.

You can shop around physically whereever you want, you never have to buy from where you tested. You can usually find better deals online.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I have a Peg Perego P3, which is great for kids of all ages. It's lightweight, folds relatively small, and steers great. For an infant seat, I have the Graco Safeseat, and it fits perfect on the P3 to make a great travel system.

Really though, it'll depend on where you are using the stroller. The P3 is a great mall stroller, drs office etc...but NOT good for going through grass/dirt etc. For 'off roading', I have another stroller with air filled fixed wheels. Makes life much easier for those types of walks.

It's really hard to find one stroller that does it all. Sometimes you end up with 2 or 3 or well...you don't want to know! LOL

LuvBug

yeah I have an umbrella stroller, full sized stroller, and a jogging stroller. Each serves a certain purpose perfectly but I could never get away with using one for the others job. Its really impossible to make something that will do everything(ie in carseat world, the alpha omega 3n1 isnt a good seat).

abacus2

The three infant seats I like most are:
1. Chicco Key Fit: can be purchased on its own or with a regular stroller system or an umbrella stroller system. This is the best infant car seat of the three. It fits small infants very well and is so,so easy to install.
2. Graco Snugride with the contured handle available only with Quattro Tour Travel Systems at Babies R Us. This is by far the nicest infant car seat to carry. I don't really like most full size strollers, but a lot of parents do and if you will use the seat as a carrier frequently, I'd buy it even if you want a different stroller.
3. Graco Safeseat: can be purchased on its own or with a system. It can be used much longer than a typical infant seat due to higher height and weight limits so it's great for bigger babies and parents who want a portable car seat for as long as possible. If you go for this seat, I recommend a lightweight infant seat stroller frame, like the Snugrider. Then choose a dedicated stroller later once you have a better idea of what you actually want.

lovinwaves

I have a Peg Perego P3, which is great for kids of all ages. It's lightweight, folds relatively small, and steers great. For an infant seat, I have the Graco Safeseat, and it fits perfect on the P3 to make a great travel system.

Really though, it'll depend on where you are using the stroller. The P3 is a great mall stroller, drs office etc...but NOT good for going through grass/dirt etc. For 'off roading', I have another stroller with air filled fixed wheels. Makes life much easier for those types of walks.

It's really hard to find one stroller that does it all. Sometimes you end up with 2 or 3 or well...you don't want to know! LOL

Just dittoing Kay.

I just got a P3 the other day and I love it. I think of it as a full size stroller(like a Graco Quattro Tour) and a lightweight umbrella all in the same package.
I think it really just depends on your price range.
You can go to "StrollerSwap" on Yahoo Groups and ask the same question. The ladies on there will give more "higher-end" options, like the P3.

hellokittie16

Stay away from the Graco Quattro!!! That thing is a BEAST! It's cute and looks nice, but you cannot get though stores with it!

For a carseat, my pick is the Graco Safeseat!

lovinwaves

Stay away from the Graco Quattro!!! That thing is a BEAST! It's cute and looks nice, but you cannot get though stores with it!

For a carseat, my pick is the Graco Safeseat!

FWIW, I LOVED my Graco Quattro. I would recommend this stroller, especially if you can't afford anything more. I loved the big accessible basket, and parent tray, and cup holders!! This thing can take a beating also! I never ever had any problems getting it through stores.

Yoshi

I also had a Graco Quattro Tour for about a year and aside from all the positives- big basket, cupholders, nice child tray, comfy for baby....I must add that my DD was too tall for the seat (back) at about 2.5 yrs old. Her head had nowhere to go when she wanted to sleep. And despite being in the 75% for weight and height, I think I've noticed lots of toddlers that are just too big for it. Plus, it is HEAVY. Really heavy- like 26 lbs. But, I did like it anyway while she fit in it!

lovinwaves

I also had a Graco Quattro Tour for about a year and aside from all the positives- big basket, cupholders, nice child tray, comfy for baby....I must add that my DD was too tall for the seat (back) at about 2.5 yrs old. Her head had nowhere to go when she wanted to sleep. And despite being in the 75% for weight and height, I think I've noticed lots of toddlers that are just too big for it. Plus, it is HEAVY. Really heavy- like 26 lbs. But, I did like it anyway while she fit in it!

I agree Tina about the seatback, and them wanting to sleep. Now that I have my P3, both of my kids lOVE it for sleeping. I love the highseat backs.

I think for a Graco the Quattro would not be a bad buy, especially if you want a new one, for a good price.

msantiago3

I have a maclaren global buggy and a bumbleride flyer they both accept any brand of infant car seat. The maclaren is the best because it gets through everywhere and even survives plane trips. Its a full feature stroller that folds like a umbrella stroller. I think it even works well on grass, gravel ets. my maclaren is up for sale since number two is on the way. if interested send me a pm.

Meghan

Tpao

I have to say I loved the Metro-lite by Graco. I bought the Evenflo first. That this was a BUS! So then I bought the Metro-lite stroller it is so light. Can easily be driven with one hand. Good luck!

LovinLife

just want to second Tpao's recommendation.

we went back and forth on between the metrolite and quattro. finally decided on metrolite because (1) much lighter and (2) folds up to you rather than down to the ground - who wants to bend down/over to pick it up everytime to get it in the trunk?!

good luck.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC