Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Are add-on strap pads safe?

We switched DD to a Cosco Scenera for some traveling we're doing for the next month, and she's complaining about the straps rubbing against her neck (she's very articulate and is quite specific about what's bothering her). It appears that the Scenera's straps are set more closely together than her DC, and they are indeed rubbing her neck -- she has red lines after being in the car.

Question 1: is it safe to add strap covers/pads a la Britax?

Question 2: if it IS safe, which ones do you like, and where can I get them?

Thanks!
    Ruthie, 3/29/07 - 63lbs, 49.5" FF Britax Frontier 90 harnessed and Diono Monterey HBB (ERF to 3y7mo)
    Zevi, 11/10/10 - 38lbs, 41" RF RXT and Peg Convertible, FF Frontier 90
    and a Safety 1st Go Hybrid, Bubble Bum, or RSTV for frequent travel

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Are add-on strap pads safe?

No, I wouldn't do it. I pull the child's shirt up on the neck a little, that usually helps.

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

Add-on pads are fine for a stroller, a swing, a high chair, or a bouncer, but NOT for a carseat.

Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me. ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

Quote Originally Posted by Judi View Post
    No, I wouldn't do it. I pull the child's shirt up on the neck a little, that usually helps.
    This is what I do. I always pulled the sides of his shirt up for DS, but he learned recently to hold the sides up while I strap him in. I never thought to teach him to hold them up! I bet she could learn to hold them up at this age.

And no, the pads are not safe.
    Shauna, mom to Adrian (9 yrs, 54" and 83 lbs), in an Evenflo Amp and Charlie (6 yrs, 42" and 35 lbs), in an Evenflo Titan 65.

The problem with add-on strap covers are that they haven't been tested with your particular seat. We don't know how they will affect the performance of the seat.

They *may* be safe.
    They *may not* be safe.

We don't know.

And most child restraints say in the manual not to add on accessories that did not come with the seat. So, putting them on is going against manufacturer's directions.
    Mama to :
    Boo (2002), apramo backless booster
    Bug (2004), Parkway SGL
    Bear (2006), Parkway SGL

Carseat Crazy

would it be bad to take a kids sock and cut the toe off and slip it on? just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommypooh View Post
    would it be bad to take a kids sock and cut the toe off and slip it on? just an idea.
    Actually, that is one of the recommended "fixes." Just be sure it's a really THIN sock, not one of those thick athletic socks. You also want to use a baby sock over a kids' sock because the length is a concern.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by skaterbabscpst View Post
    Actually, that is one of the recommended "fixes." Just be sure it's a really THIN sock, not one of those thick athletic socks. You also want to use a baby sock over a kids' sock because the length is a concern.
    Who recommends this fix, and why is it a better option that a commercial pad (like off my Britax)? Thanks!
    Ruthie, 3/29/07 - 63lbs, 49.5" FF Britax Frontier 90 harnessed and Diono Monterey HBB (ERF to 3y7mo)

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

It is recommended by Child Passenger Safety Technicians, if you must have something not provided with the seat on the straps. It is better because it is so thin that there is not a risk of compression altering the performance of the seat like there is with pads from another seat (they have been tested to be ok with the seat they come with but NOT with another seat.)

I think some people have had success calling the company and being sold covers specifically tested with the Scenera. Some have been told no, though. Very confusing that some are told yes they are available and some are told no they're not, but worth a call to try.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 12, Bridget, 10, Maggie, 8, Katie Sue, 4
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

A thin baby sock is much thinner than a Britax strap pad; therefore, there is less chance it could compromise safety.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

If it goes completely around the strap, doesn't pinch or fold it in any way, doesn't in any way interefere with the strap, and isn't thick, it'll be fine. The Britax ones you have are an appropriate thickness. It hasn't necessarily been tested with your seat, but then again neither has a diaper or a fleece sweater, and both of those are fine to use as well.
    I'm glad you're a safe driver. I'm eating cereal and applying mascara using my rear view mirror while playing bejeweled on my iPhone. And I'm driving right behind you.
    You're only as safe as the most dangerous driver on the road. Buckle accordingly.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    If it goes completely around the strap, doesn't pinch or fold it in any way, doesn't in any way interefere with the strap, and isn't thick, it'll be fine. The Britax ones you have are an appropriate thickness. It hasn't necessarily been tested with your seat, but then again neither has a diaper or a fleece sweater, and both of those are fine to use as well.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I was discussing this with DH after reading the responses here. It hasn't been tested with sweaters (not a bulky jacket of course, but just normal winter stuff), and we don't strip DD down to her undershirt in the winter.

I'm worried that if I don't do *something* it will make my driving less safe, which would be very bad. DD is saying "owie, too tight!" every couple of minutes and then starting to cry, which leads me to be distracted, and that *can't* be good.

You might want to check how tight you have the harness. It only needs to pass the pinch test.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by CandCfam View Post
    You might want to check how tight you have the harness. It only needs to pass the pinch test.
    I know I even pulled over to check it the first time, and it's not too tight -- it just rubs her neck in a very sad way. We just have to deal with it until the middle of June, but we have some long car trips, daily errand running, and several long flights with the Scenera between now and then. Hmm...maybe the strap covers for the flights at least, since the main purpose then is restraint in turbulence, not crash protection...

I always used little thin velcro strap covers. Granted I didn't know about this board, but the straps just tore into my kid's necks. I can't see how a little bitty thin cover is any different than a change in wardrobe from one day to the next
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo
    DD-2.5 ~24#, 33", RF in RA 55

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I think the reason a baby sock is recommended and strap covers aren't is that baby socks are pretty universally thin and short; harness covers vary widely in length and thickness. Some are pretty safe, some are just not. So in this decision, if you know enough to guage what is safe, you can make that parental decision to decide what to use, since you have a problem with the rubbing. If you decide to follow the baby sock recommendation, great; if not, that's your choice, and if you feel confident, understanding what the risk is, that it's a nice thin one that is not long enough to interfere with proper placement, that's probably true.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 12, Bridget, 10, Maggie, 8, Katie Sue, 4
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crazy

Thanks, everyone, that's VERY helpful!