Routing seatbelt Monterrey

jekutz

I just got the Sunshine Monterrey today and am having trouble with threading the seatbelt up top and it retracting freely. It is like the seatbelt circle guide at the top of the seat (not sure that's what it's called but the part that keeps it off the neck) is at a weird angle in relation to my seatbelt path and causes the seatbelt to stick and not retract back in freely if she leans forward. Is there a way to fix this? Can I use the seatbelt without it going through the upper circle guide (it is still off my daughters neck without it)? I am going batty trying to figure this out. She is in the middle seat of a Suburban and the seatbelt is part of the seat, not coming out from side of the car if that makes any sense or difference.
Thanks!

ADS

jekutz

Monterrey Install-Upper seatbelt path problem

I just got the Sunshine Monterrey today and am having trouble with threading the seatbelt up top and it retracting freely. It is like the seatbelt circle guide at the top of the seat (not sure that's what it's called but the part that keeps it off the neck) is at a weird angle in relation to my seatbelt path and causes the seatbelt to stick and not retract back in freely if she leans forward. Is there a way to fix this? Can I use the seatbelt without it going through the upper circle guide (it is still off my daughters neck without it)? I am going batty trying to figure this out. She is in the middle seat of a Suburban and the seatbelt is part of the seat, not coming out from side of the car if that makes any sense or difference.
Thanks!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'm not sure there's a solution to this problem. I have a similar issue with many boosters in my vehicle, so I know what you mean. :(

Unfortunately, the shoulder belt much go through the shoulder belt guide, so that's not an option for fixing the problem.

Technically, she shouldn't be leaning forward in the booster seat anyway - if you get in a crash while she's out of position (leaning forward or to the side) the seat belt will not protect her properly and could cause very severe injuries. Many parents find it helpful to lock the seat belt at the retractor (if the seat belt can be locked that way) to help remind their children to stay properly positioned.

I realize even that doesn't solve your problem, though, because the seat belt still needs to move freely through the belt guide just so she can get in and out.

What's your daughter's age, weight, and torso height? We may be able to offer other options.

Maedze

It sounds like your issue is purely compatability with the seatbelt geometry in that seating position. The first thing I would try is moving the seat to another position.

If not possible, how old is your daughter? Do your seatbelts lock at the retractor? I would simply lock the seatbelt to prevent her from leaning forward.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
No, you aren't seeing double, I merged your two threads. Sorry the news isn't better..I've had some boosters not quite work with some seatbelts, too :(

jekutz

Thanks, first of all sorry I posted twice wasn't sure where it went :) I have tried her in the center and then back passengers side and both places are not working and after that I am pretty stuck because I have triplets who are still in their Britax Marathon's. With four huge seats in our car I am running into walls. I want to love this seat because we currently have the Compass and I hate it. The path just sits too high on her belly rather than her legs.

My daughter is 6 1/2, weighs 57 lbs and is about 46 inches tall. It freaks me out a bit because I didn't even notice the path wasn't retracting back in until today at carpool she reached down to grab something before we left and I looked back and noticed all the slack in the upper belt. It had not retracted back. So I've hit a wall and decided I hate boosters :) So any suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks so much,
Joy

mom2RyErinBaby

No suggestions, as I too have the same problem with our monterrey. Its worse in the 3rd row of our odyssey, but still ocurrs in the captains chair. The vivo isn't any better 3rd row, but is better in a captain chair. And mine isn't just with leaning, it just doesn't go through smoothly ever. Any suggestions on what boosters don't do this would be great.

At this point I'm willing to sell the monterrey to get something that I don't fight with constantly. Thanks
Megan

ginny4

i got a similar problem as well. it wasn't a problem at all when i originally bought the monterey for my 94 g caravan but the 01 it's HORRIBLE. both 3rd row. it also happens with the turbo booster as well. it just doesn't slide well. so my boys have learned to just "snug it up", "guide it thru". they fix it whenever necessary. i'd love a different solution.....but seriously i think its the silly way the seatbelt is attached to the vehicle. it doesn't fit anyone (adult, big kid) the way it should no matter what i do.

jekutz

I am wondering if this is going to be an issue with most boosters in our suburban where I have her sitting? The belts feed out from the seats and so the angle is just all wrong for a booster. The Compass we have now does okay but I am not comfortable with how it fits her and the Monterey is not working at all. My daughter can snug it back in but I worry if she leans forward to grab something and forgets to push it up we have a big problem, argh. I really want to like this seat...she loves how "snuggly" it is she said. :(

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I am wondering if this is going to be an issue with most boosters in our suburban where I have her sitting?

There are boosters where the angle of the belt guide is more parallel to the seat. I know because I have the opposite problem - my car needs the belt guides to be perpendicular to the seat! For example, the Air and the Turbo are awful in my car's 3rd row, so they'd probably work better for you.

ginny4

There are boosters where the angle of the belt guide is more parallel to the seat. I know because I have the opposite problem - my car needs the belt guides to be perpendicular to the seat! For example, the Air and the Turbo are awful in my car's 3rd row, so they'd probably work better for you.

just to get a better idea which boosters are more parallel & which ones are perpendicular? i'm not sure which is better for my van at all. both the turbo & monterey have a hard time.

i just went out to my van to check out the seatbelts. it seems the more perpendicular the better. actually if the rear seat could just slide forward a lil bit or the back could be more upright that would solve most of the issue. unfortunatly it won't do that. i just tried

Last edited:

jekutz

Thanks Debbie that's just the info I am looking for. I definitely need something more parallell to the belt path as opposed to at an angle. I will take a look at those. That would be good info to have on boosters since it seems to make a difference depending on your car/seatbelt type.

ukfan78

I am having this problem with my 07 Tahoe. The seat belt comes out of the seat and is a major pain! My ds is currently riding in the Compass B510 Camo and is about to outgrow it. This seat also makes the seat belt stick and twist and he complains ALL the time. I have a few months to find a booster that will actually WORK with my seat belts or I will just get him a backless. He is 8.5yrs and 58lbs and we have side curtain airbags so I am not concerned about the backless, but he wants a highback. Are there ANY boosters that are taller than the Compass that will work with these seat belts?

Melissa

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC