So if you were crazy about RF like me...

brightredmtn

Do I really need a TWE? I want one but do I need one?

DS will be three the end of next month. Two weeks ago he was 32lbs.

There is no question that I will do whatever it takes to keep him RF until the minimum of four. I'm thinking a My Ride might just do that.

Last year he had a big growth spurt in April so I wouldn't be surprised if he is still 32lbs on his birthday. Since he turned one he's gained 6lbs a year (if he stays 32lbs on his birthday.)

Cost aside would you still get a Swedish seat just because? I assume there still have to be big benefits to RF past four.

DS has never once complained about RF, he really doesn't even realize there is another option.

Oh and we definitely need two seats so if we get a TWE we'll be getting a My Ride too.

Thoughts?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
No, I would not (and would not recommend) importing a seat for a healthy and typically developing 3yo. I would not break the law "just because".

melniemi

I'd try the MyRide and if he seems like he will have enough room to make it to 4-4.5, I would just get another one of those. Less than 1/2 the price of a TWE.

zeo2ski

I've had this debate with myself a couple times now and also asked about it here. My DS will be 3 in August but is 33 lbs with not a lot of height wiggle room in the BLVD. Even so, based on my own thoughts and from the thoughts of posters on here, I will not be getting a foreign seat. I will buy a MyRide ASAP and pray they come out with a HWRF seat with a tall shell soon enough, but if they don't, then my little guy will have to FF when he outgrows every American seat by height and/or weight RFing.

I know you've had that siggy pic up a while and maybe he's grown, but it looks like your guy would have plenty of room in the MyRide and I would absolutely just get 2 of those.

brightredmtn

Oh forgot to add that DH is going to Europe next week so can possibly bring a Swedish seat home with him. This is why I'm thinking about it now.

I also don't have a problem breaking the law when it's best practice. Technically where I live it's illegal to keep a child in a harness past 40lbs regardless of their age. No one here would consider boostering a child under 6 (who is more than likely going to be way above 40lbs.)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Several posters here -- knowledgeable, conservative, careful people -- have boostered children under age six.

I get your point, but I still do not support using an illegal seat for a healthy, typically developing, 3yo.

twinsmom

This seems to be a very polarizing topic on this forum;). In the end, whether it's 'want' or 'need' or a little of both, it comes down to you - you're the mom; you will do what you think is best for your child. Just know the possible consequences of an illegal seat, and be ready to accept them in exchange for the added safety.

brightredmtn

Several posters here -- knowledgeable, conservative, careful people -- have boostered children under age six.

I get your point, but I still do not support using an illegal seat for a healthy, typically developing, 3yo.

OK most people (if not all) on here wouldn't consider boostering the average 40lb kid.

brightredmtn

This seems to be a very polarizing topic on this forum;).

Yeah I didn't think it would be...

In the end, whether it's 'want' or 'need' or a little of both, it comes down to you - you're the mom; you will do what you think is best for your child. Just know the possible consequences of an illegal seat, and be ready to accept them in exchange for the added safety.

Good point! Thanks!

Lara

I agree with what twinsmom said. I personally chose to import (cause a friend of ours went to europe and offered to bring a seat back with him) even knowing the legal risks and what not. Honestly, I'm not worried about it at all. I :love: my TWE!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I go back and forth on this topic.

TODAY, I wouldn't do it. If you had asked me last week, however, I probably would have. :p

brightredmtn

I agree with what twinsmom said. I personally chose to import (cause a friend of ours went to europe and offered to bring a seat back with him) even knowing the legal risks and what not. Honestly, I'm not worried about it at all. I :love: my TWE!

Did you friend have to pay any duties for the seat coming back in?

AtTheSouthDam

I would and am considering it, but with a Multi-tech. I know the legal ramifications and the desire to keep your child RF until 4. I also have a desire to get the KNOWLEDGE of such a seat out. If there is one around for people to see and touch MAYBE I could get people to pressure Britax into bringing over and selling it (everyone has their pipe dreams ;) Mine involves driving to baby stores with european car seats and a petition :D)

Brilliantmama

not unless my child was over 40 lbs and under 2 yrs old, or had some delicate spinal situation.

But, that doesn't mean I wouldn't use one if it was sent to me! And boy would that be fun!

brightredmtn

nope, carseats are duty free :D

Seriously?!? Oh then he's definitely bringing one back. My gift for leaving me for a week and not getting to tour the UK with the Breeders too. And this is on top of an already promised trip to Hawaii!

mum2two

My DS turned 3 about a month ago, he's holding steady at about 31lbs and I'm only feeding him twice a day now (just kidding)...honestly for me I can't afford a higher weight RF seat and will reluctantly turn him when he reaches 33 lbs, we have 3 MA's for him to use and have side curtain air bags in both vehicles and I know at 3 he is perfectly safe to ride FF.

Like others have said, if one were to magically appear I wouldn't hesitate to use it though.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would get the MyRide. When he outgrows that, see where you are.

I wouldn't recommend importing for most kids... But I understand the desire, if I had the money/room I would probably do it for mine.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC