Toddler overheating in Brtiax Marathon (granite)

tiger926

My 22 month old overheats really badly in his seat. The granite fabric is very plush, but also very hot. I tried to access Britax Canada website to see if I could order another cover, but it's down. What would all suggest?

1. Can Canadians even order extra covers?

2. Are all Marathon covers just as hot?

3. If yes to 2, what do you suggest?

We always spend several weeks in Disney World, Florida each July, plus, where I live in Southwestern, ON, it's just as hot or sometimes hotter/humid here!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Tiger :)

ADS

oursonend

I have an Onyx cover and I don't find it's too bad. It's a sort of slippery, nylon-ish fabric mostly, and only the edges (the black part) is plush. I don't find that DS overheats in it. We do use A/C on the really hot days, however, but in a general sense he does not overheat, no sweating, etc.

It is almost the exact same fabric as an Ionic SS1, and I think that the Ionic SS1 is the same or similar fabric to the Meteor SS1. So if you have tried any of those then you willl know that I mean. The other real-life comparison I can think of is sort of like good quality tent fabric. The kid where you can see the cross-hatch pattern, but it is still smooth and silky and feels thin (but there is still padding underneath of course--just the top fabric layer feels thin. There are probably windbreakers made of similar-feeling fabric, but I think the Onyx cover fabric is a bit more "crisp" than a regular windbreaker. ;)

I was under the impression that a cover is just a cover, and as long as it is the proper cover for the seat, that it's fair game. I personally would not hesitate to buy a used MA cover here or elsewhere (ebay maybe?) or to order from the US site. HOWEVER I'm not an expert on replacement covers. I know there are a lot of cover trades on this site, so someone with first hand experience or more knowledge can probably confirm. :)

Britax canada's site has been down for a week or so. I wonder what is going on with that. :confused:

Neatfreak

It's possible to order spare covers for the Canadian-market Marathon from the Britax USA website (under spare parts and accessories). I did it last summer, and was rather surprised to receive the cover with Spanish labeling instead of French, though - still shaking my head over that one. I am not sure what Canadian law enforcement would think of an American cover on a Canadian shell, though. I'm using it, but I'm currently living outside of Canada.

Much less expensive to find a cover on the swap board, though!

sparkyd

If he's really overheating that badly I'm not sure a new cover will completely solve your problem, although it might help. Is this something that is happening now or you are anticipating it for the summer based on past experience? We have the Onyx Marathon cover (described by oursonend) and DS always had a sweaty back last summer when we'd take him out of the seat. But I probably did too. ;)

The only suggestions I've got are to keep the seat cool when he isn't in it (try a white towel over the seat; there are other contraptions you can buy, including ice packs for car seats if that doesn't cut it), dress him in light clothing, offer him cold water on a regular basis in the car, and crank the AC!

tiger926

My baby overheats quite easily, and so he's already been overheating in it. He drinks water as well, it just doesn't seem to help - he gets so hot in his Marathon! It's only been a high of 70 and his back and cheeks are all red and hot! We don't use the air conditioning unless it's very hot and humid as we find it aggravates our allergies/asthma, but when it's super hot, the air in the car will help. It's now during the spring and warmer part of the fall that he's overheating.

Hmmm? Not sure what to do - our van windows are very tinted, and so not much sun gets in to heat up the car. It's mostly his little body that overheats. My daughter was like this too, although her Frontier seems to be a bit cooler than my son's Marathon.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, Tiger :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC