Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Does RFing or FFing on a plane matter?

A friend of mine asked me this (she is flying with her 9 month old soon) when she mentioned she was going to put his car seat (Scenera, I believe) FFing on the plane even though he's RFing in the car. Her reasoning was that he can see the TV monitor on the seatback in front of him. Is there any reason why it's safer for him to RF on the plane at this age (he is over 20 pounds)? FWIW, she has him RFing in the car still and will for as long as possible.

Thanks!
    Anne, driving a '13 Odyssey and an '05 CRV

DD-Julia 9/04 (5 stepping now!)
    DS1-Luca 11/10 (Graco Wayz and Graco HB Turbobooster)
    DS2- Enzo 7/15 (Chicco NextFit and Diono R100)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Re: Does RFing or FFing on a plane matter?

Yes, a child of nine months still needs to be rearfacing, even on the plane. I don't harp so much about ERF on the plane, but at 9 months his spinal structure is still very weak and even a rough landing or take off could cause neck injury.

I always found it was much easier to entertain a child rearfacing since they are facing me. My kids preferred when I played with them instead of watching a TV screen. I also found that there were less items dropped onto the floor when rearfacing. I also don't think I would want to deal with moving the straps up for the plane ride and then back down once at the destination.
    Katy

Carseat Crazy

I would be somewhat comfortable with FF on a plane, but only because the risk assessment would be totally different. Planes crash much less frequently than cars. But if a crash were to occur, RFing would protect the child much better for the reasons mentioned above.

I think that the standards for the seat still apply when on planes, however, and FFing requires 22lbs AND i year of age, so if she were to put the baby FFing she would be disregarding the instructions of the seat, which means that the outcome of a crash isn't known/tested for FF at that age, and if anything did happen there could be legal implications for disregarding the manufacturer's instructions on the seat.

Someone who knows more about plane travel can probably offer more info, but I personally would keep her RFing and obey the instructions of the seat.
    Rebecca- Montreal mama to DD (3.5) FFing in a Radian and DS (1.5) RFing in a Marathon, traveling the countryside in a '98 Saturn SW2 station wagon

Thanks everyone for the info. I hadn't thought about takeoff/landing...
    Anne, driving a '13 Odyssey and an '05 CRV

DD-Julia 9/04 (5 stepping now!)
    DS1-Luca 11/10 (Graco Wayz and Graco HB Turbobooster)
    DS2- Enzo 7/15 (Chicco NextFit and Diono R100)

FWIW, most 9 month olds really don't care about a DVD screen, especially if it's not even something for babies/kids.

That aside, while I may put a 12+ month AND 20/22+ lb baby FFing on a plane I would never put one below the minimums FFing. Besides that, baby will be pretty upright FFing and most likely won't sleep well or be comfortable.

9 yr old in a pink zebra NBB and 5-stepping
    6 yr DS1 old in a Harmony
    4 yr old DS2 in a Nautilus and Radian
    18 mo DS3 rfing in a MyRide65

CPS Fanatic

Anne -

No one else mentioned this. I know some airlines specially state that you can use the car seat according to manufacture's instructions (which is the language I used when I wanted to have my 2 1/2 year old rf on the plane).

I'm pretty sure that the Scenera requires children to be at least 1 year old, 20 or 22lbs and 34 in tall in order to be able to ride ff. So the car seat manufacturer requires children to be rf at his age and size.

I thought there were some other good reasons for keeping a child rf on an airplane too. Here's a good link... http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/airplaneRF.aspx

Melanie