WWYD? Carseat for plane only

Northriver

We are going on an Alaskan cruise this summer. I have a RideSafer vest that I will take for a few taxi rides and van/bus shore excursions.

I'm thinking about taking the Scenera for use on the plane only. I was going without, but after seeing that plane land in the Hudson, I decided it wasn't *that* big a deal to take the Scenera. I think I can do it, I'm traveling alone with my 2 kids, ages 15 and 4, we have 3 wheeled suitcases and a small backpack each.

My daughter is currently about 42" and 34# turning 4 a few days before our trip. We have 4 separate flights, the longest flight is almost 6 hours.

We always flown with either a RA or MA, and my child appreciates the comfort and familiarity of having her carseat on the plane, but I don't want to lug a heavy seat along this time. The Scenera isn't as comfortable, obviously, but still provides some protection and gives her a place to rest her head.

Am I nuts? WWYD?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
As long as her shoulders are below the top slot for the Scenera I think it sounds like a great plan. At her weight I doubt she'd fit properly in the plane's belt. At 40 pounds Piper didn't fit well into the 767 we were on a few weeks ago, but she was fine on the smaller jets ("smaller" being 737s and 757s and Airbuses).

Wendy

Northriver

Thanks Wendy, that is what I was thinking. I haven't had her in the Scenera in a couple months, so I'm not 100% certain if it will still fit now or in 45 days when we leave.

If she has outgrown the Scenera, would you take another seat, or use the plane seatbelt?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At that weight Piper didn't fit into the plane's belt very well at all. So I'd look into an Avenue, probably. Unless you want something more long term like a Radian.

Where is your cruise leaving out of?

Wendy

Northriver

We cruise Anchorage to Vancouver. I think we fly KC to Msp, Msp to Anchorage. Then Vancouver SLC, SLC to KC. We've had a ton of flight changes.

I do have a Radian in my moms car. h e a v y. I've never wanted to travel with it because it took me over a month to figure how to get it installed well in my moms car. But I'm sure for the plane only, it would be fine. I'll think about that. I just ordered a new carry on bag so I'll see how the Radian works with that bag and the traveling toddler.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I preferred the straps over the bag for the Radian, but both made it very easy to transport through the airports. Wearing it on my back meant I never even noticed the weight of it. It installed on the plane easier than in most cars.

How are you getting from the airport to the cruise terminal, though, in Anchorage and Vancouver? The Radian may not play nicely with whatever vehicle that is. But if it's a bus or something then it doesn't matter.

Wendy

Northriver

When you say straps, are you allowed to carry the Radian by the harness straps? Or does the radian come with carry straps of some kind? Sorry for my confusion but I've only read the Radian manual once, installed in my mother's car and never taken it out again so I'm really not all that familiar with it. Not a big deal, if we can't use the Scenera, I'll make sure to get the Radian out in plenty oftime and figure something out, one way or another. I do remember that it has a bit of a handle on the side and really, that is probably good enough for me.

We are using every conceivable mode of transportation, taxi, shuttle van, bus, train, small boat. I'll have the Ride Safer Travel vest with me at all times, so I won't need a car seat for anything other than the plane. I do know I still need to fatten up my child just a bit, since right now, she is still one pound under the minimum for the RSTV. Unless clothes count, wearing jeans, a jacket and hiking boots, she meets the 35# requirement, but in her pj's, she's only 34#. ;)

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
When you say straps, are you allowed to carry the Radian by the harness straps? Or does the radian come with carry straps of some kind?

It doesn't come with carrying straps (well, the 80 comes with one, but the 65 comes with none. You need two to make the back carry work,) but it has places to attach them on the shell of the seat so you can carry it like a backpack. (They look like little fabric webbing loops.) You can do the Traveling Toddler idea too. We put ours on a luggage cart to haul it through airports - DS can even ride on it that way.

The other nice thing about taking the Radian is that it will fold. We did a cruise with DS when he was 10mo, and there wasn't a lot of room for extra stuff in the stateroom. Being able to fold and stuff that Radian somewhere will be nice. :thumbsup:

HTH! :)

Northriver

Yes, thanks, very helpful! I do have the 80, and now that I've rummaged through my bin of car seat parts, I see that I do have 1 carry strap. I'll order another one.

Thanks ladies!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC