Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

FB status of an acquaintance: turning her 9 mo old FF!!!!

I just saw a FB status of an acquaintance and the doc told her that she can turn her NINE MONTH old daughter around to forward facing!!!!!!

Can someone give me a couple quick, concise, informative links, etc. to send her? fyi: we're in Alabama.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: FB status of an acquaintance: turning her 9 mo old FF!!!!

I don't have links handy but whatever you come up with, put them in the comment area right under her status, you'll be educating more than just her.

Great video here and TONS of links and info:
    http://www.joelsjourney.org
    Mom to:
    Al -12- | CJ -6- |Kaylee -12/28/12-

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Here is the statement straight from the mouth of the AAP. Tell her to inform her pediatrician. http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;109/3/550

Bullet number one under recommendations.

Children should face the rear of the vehicle until they are at least 1 year of age and weigh at least 20 lb to decrease the risk of cervical spine injury in the event of a crash. Infants who weigh 20 lb before 1 year of age should ride rear facing in a convertible seat or infant seat approved for higher weights until at least 1 year of age.3,4 If a car safety seat accommodates children rear facing to higher weights, for optimal protection, the child should remain rear facing until reaching the maximum weight for the car safety seat, as long as the top of the head is below the top of the seat back.3

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Thats so sad..... but exavtly what my cousin did with her baby. She was about 25# and her Dr said it was fine. I told her the benifits of RF and she decided not to listen, I felt so bad for the baby.
    Andrea SAHM to
    W~2/2007
    C~11/2008
    J~2/2010

Wow! Sad. Tyler is 9 months old today and 23lbs, I could NOT IMAGINE him sitting FF! I can't even imagine Jessica FF.

You've gotten some good info already. Definitely post it as a comment under her status so that everyone sees it! Maybe it will prompt others to second your info... perhaps other friends are hesitant to reply, but if you start it, maybe others will join in too.
    Jenny
    CPST and mommy to
    Jessica 6.18.06 and Tyler 8.5.08
    Both riding in Frontier 85s

Ambassador - CPS Technician CTPDMom's Avatar

http://aapnews.aappublications.org/c...full/30/4/12-a

http://www.aap.org/family/carseatguide.htm

http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/cgi/...tract/13/6/398

"Children in FFCSs (forward facing car seats) were significantly more likely to be seriously injured than children restrained in RFCSs (rear facing car seats) in all crash types"
    CPST - Special Needs Trained

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.

CPS Technician

Here's what I posted as a comment to her status (so everyone else could see it):
    So glad that [baby's name] is doing so well!
    On turning the car seat around to foward facing, here's AAP policy: http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;109/3/550

"Children should face the rear of the vehicle until they are *at least 1 year of age* and weigh at least 20 lb to decrease the risk of cervical spine injury in the event of a crash. *Infants who weigh 20 lb before 1 year of age should ride rear facing in a convertible seat or infant seat approved for higher weights until at least 1 year of age.* If a car safety seat accommodates children rear facing to higher weights, for optimal protection, *the child should remain rear facing until reaching the maximum weight for the car safety seat*, as long as the top of the head is below the top of the seat back."
    2 more good links for information: http://www.joelsjourney.org
    and http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html
    I hope that she doesn't take offense to it!

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Honestly, she's risking her baby's life and it's borderline child endangerment. Offense would be the last thing I would worry about.

You did the right thing.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    Honestly, she's risking her baby's life and it's borderline child endangerment. Offense would be the last thing I would worry about.

You did the right thing.

Wendy

Good for you for standing up for that poor baby's safety.
    Jenny
    CPST and mommy to
    Jessica 6.18.06 and Tyler 8.5.08
    Both riding in Frontier 85s

This makes me so mad. I am arranging an educational luncheon with my own group of pediatricians to inform them of current best practices (through the FD).

So many times parents listen to their pediatrician for everything! Don't get me wrong, if the kid has an earache or sore throat or fever, by all means listen to the doc, BUT the doc is NOT going to be responding to the scene of a crash. They don't see the immediate (and sometimes don't see the long term) effects of giving out bad advice!. Is there any way you can find out the name of her doc and maybe fax some info anonymously to them so they get on the boat?

Way to go, Jabbersmom! It's so frustrating that so many pediatricians can't be bothered to keep up with the (many years-old) recommendation of their own academy!
    DD (9 years old) & DS (6.5 years old)

CPS Fanatic

I did the same thing(not on my face book, lol) when Michael was 8 months old. My ped said I could forward face him because he was 20 pounds and already walking -wish I would of done some research. At a carseat check when he was 10 months I turned him back RF, but then was told to turn him back FF on his 1st birthday.

Right now I am so nervous my daycare parent brought her 13 month old for her 1 year visit today and she was going to talk to the doctor about RF(to see if I was right-WTF). UGHHH!!!