Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Scenera- RF Plane Install

Anyone have advice on a RF Scenera install on a plane? I know in most vehicles I need a noodle to get a decent recline. Will I need it on the plane too? Any other tips?

THANKS!!!
    Angela, CPST
    DS- Samuel 4/9/08
    DS- Due April 2014

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Scenera- RF Plane Install

No you won't need a noodle, because there is not such thing as a 'decent recline' RF on a plane. Unless you're flying first class. Then there would probably be enough room. I flew with the Scenera several times while DS still fit in it and it was very easy. No special tips or tricks, just a straightforward install. Happy flying!
    Coty-
    Mama to Charlie since 6.27.07 & Scarlett since 7.21.10
    Now have my Mazda 5 back with a RF MA65 and a RF MT.

Great, that's exactly what I was thinking. THANKS!!!
    Angela, CPST
    DS- Samuel 4/9/08
    DS- Due April 2014

Just wanted to add that I do still advocate RF on a plane. I re-read my first post and it sort of sounded like I was saying you can't possible get the Scenera RF. You can, indeed, get most seats RF. It will be very upright, but for an older infant/toddler, it's not a problem. Just wanted to clarify.
    Coty-
    Mama to Charlie since 6.27.07 & Scarlett since 7.21.10
    Now have my Mazda 5 back with a RF MA65 and a RF MT.

No worries, DS will be rear-facing on the plane. I'll make it work . That's one of the reasons I bought the scenera, thinking it would be a bit smaller than the marathon for the plane install. My only experience is with an infant seat on a plane, so far...
    Angela, CPST
    DS- Samuel 4/9/08
    DS- Due April 2014

CPS Technician

Last time we flew, Evan was 33 mos and used his Scenera rfing.
    Jennifer, Special Needs CPST, peds nurse, and CSFTL Admin mom to:
    AJ-13 (five steps), Evan-11 (nbb),
    Ilana-9 (nbb) ,
    Olivia-7 (hbb), and
    Unity-3 (rf and ff)

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I actually found that without a noodle, the Scenera installed MORE reclined on the plane than it did in our car without a noodle. Or almost any other car I've tried it in. The seats are flatter on many planes.

This is a new backup for you, yeah? There's a few things to be aware of, but just read your manual's section on RF install and follow carefully and you'll be fine. The belt path goes RIGHT by the crotch strap and you have to be careful to properly route it to make sure it doesn't get hung up. But it's not hard, just something to be aware of and know to check your instructions before you just dive in.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!