SIL got busted for not using a car seat with her 3yo

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
I am SO happy. My nephew told me tonight that my SIL (who is completly crazy and takes crazy risks with her dd's) got pulled over the other day. She was ticketed for doing 15-20 over the speed limit and had her 3 yo in the FRONT seat of her van, no car seat.. Her children are 3, 5, 8, 9 yo, and my nephew is 13 from my brother's first marriage... and none of them ride in car seats. Her 3 yo stopped using a car seat when she began walking at 1yo. She just puts her in a vehicle seat, and puts the shoulder belt behind her back. I have tried to tell her how dangerous these things are and she makes up stories about how her and my brother don't believe in car seats cause they read one story where a child died in one. This totally makes my day, and restores my faith in Michigan Police men/women on our roads :)

ADS

Simplysomething

Wouldn't it be nice if she were required to take some sort of child passenger safety classes as part of her punishment? At least to try to drill it into her head how stupid and lucky she's been.

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
I am not supposed to know about this because my nephew is visiting us this weekend without her or my brother knowing (long story). He knows how I am about CPS stuff and so he couldn't wait to tell me when he saw the ticket on the fridge. She has to go to court tomorrow. I am dying to write something Car seat related on our family site, but then she will figure out I was talking to my nephew and he will get into trouble. I really hope there is some sort of article in December about the senate trying to pass a booster bill in michigan.. So I can link that to our family site and talk about how sad it is when children are killed because their parents didn't buy them a seat. LOL..

lovinwaves

I am not supposed to know about this because my nephew is visiting us this weekend without her or my brother knowing (long story). He knows how I am about CPS stuff and so he couldn't wait to tell me when he saw the ticket on the fridge. She has to go to court tomorrow. I am dying to write something Car seat related on our family site, but then she will figure out I was talking to my nephew and he will get into trouble. I really hope there is some sort of article in December about the senate trying to pass a booster bill in michigan.. So I can link that to our family site and talk about how sad it is when children are killed because their parents didn't buy them a seat. LOL..

I wonder how the Police women/man handled the situation. Did they let her leave with the 3 yr old still without a carseat? Or did they just make him buckle up at least in the back? I think they should have taken him into child protective services until she had a correct carseat in her van. So sad....:(

C

childrestraintsafety

Not using a seat since the youngest was 1? Honestly, I just had to pick my jaw up off the ground!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
We have lots of cops who are CPSTs in the next city over and she wouldn't have gone anywhere till her kids were in carseats (the ones under 6). Here in town though no one would've stopped her, grrr. I hope your fine is more than ours ($25) and maybe at least that'll make her think.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
DWIs require the offendor watch videos of lives torn apart in crashes with drunk drivers -- parents who don't use carseats should have to watch videos, too.... :(

gwenvet

Sounds to me like child endangerment especially if there is a state law about child seats to a certain age. Maybe now she'll be on the child protective services radar. She should get together with that ladys husband (mentioned on another post today) who thinks that if a child dies unrestrained in a crash that it was his time to go!! Really, IMO the right to procreate does not extend to people who put their children in danger like this!!:mad:

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
She infuriates me with her lack of concern over her children's safety. The last time they were at my house they left with all four of their girls strapped into two captain's chairs. I called the police, but nothing happened. Apparently they didn't catch them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC