Sister's New car, want it to fit Regent

inezyv

My sister is planning to buy a new car. Right now she is considering a Toyota Camry, but I am concerned that she won't be able to pick up my children in Britax Regents in a Camry. Will one, or even two Britax Regents fit in the backseat of a Camry in real life?

If not, are there any reasonable Toyotas that will work for two Britax Regent? She could easily afford to purchase a minivan, but as a single woman with no children she isn't eager to drive a minivan. What would you do? She is trying to be frugal, but that is a relative term (her former car was a Mercedes that just had a crash) so I think she is very open to suggestions regarding safety.

Thank you.

ADS

Morganthe

As long as she isn't trying to fit the Regent in the center spot, I think a Toyota Camry could handle Regents. The back seat in mine is pretty large. But the space in the center between the two outboard seatbelt connections is only about 16 inches wide. She could always have you along to try out the carseats in the back before she test drives a car at the dealership

Hmmm, from a Merc to a Toyota? She might not like changing driving styles between the two. Steering, cornering, & Braking are very much different from one another.. If she want's to go with another Mercedes.. I bet a sedan would easily accomodate 2 regents.
My dh bought me an older 1980 sedan when we first got married in Germany. The car was a large 4 cyl with ex. gas mileage (kilometerage?) that drove great once I worked on it a little. One time I had 5 Army duffle bags in the trunk and 3 guys over 6 feet tall lounging in the back seat with more gear. No one was uncomfortable during a 3 hour drive from the airport. That car was roomy -- the only one that I've ever been in where I've had to pull the driver's seat forward to just to touch the pedals! :) Even though it was a tank, I had fun driving it. :D

I think I'd still feel a bit sexy in a Merc, old or new. My Toyota Camry is bland and constantly reminds me that I'll be officially 'middle age' in a couple of months. It's like the minivans of sedans, imo. If I was single and had money, I'd be driving something else with some spark. :cool:

LuvBug

yes she could definitely fit 2 in the middle and possibly might have room for a very small person in between the 2 seats. I have a corolla(the newest version) and I could do 2 but with only inches of space between.

inezyv

Part of what's going on for her is that after the crash, she is really interested in safety more than sex appeal in a car. Give me some more ideas, please. What's the safest car ever. And for her, reliability counts towards safety.

Morganthe

Sorry, if I gave the wrong impression, but to me, Merc sedans are VERY SAFE. I've seen some astonishing results from horrendous accidents via the autobahn, but they're also sexy & sleek :D

Honda Accords are always neck and neck with the Camry for reliability and safety. A very good car. I'd have another one again in a heartbeat.

Acura, Audi A4, Chevy Impala, Infinitis, Lexus, Mazda, Saab, Subaru, and of course, Volvos all have highly rated vehicles that are recommended for safety and value by Consumer Reports.
If she is interested in checking out ratings for herself, the website (some parts are paid subscription) is www.consumerreports.org

best of luck,
M

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
www.informedforlife.org is a great site for vehicle safety comparisons. Vehicle models are assigned a numerical score using government and IIHS crash test results and fatality data. In this scoring system, vehicles with the lowest numerical scores are considered lowest risk in terms of safety. The 2007 Camry has a score of 63.7, one of the safest scoring cars listed. :)

flipper68

Senior Community Member
My Toyota Camry is bland and constantly reminds me that I'll be officially 'middle age' in a couple of months. It's like the minivans of sedans, imo. If I was single and had money, I'd be driving something else with some spark. :cool:

Awww SHUCKS!! :( I'm single, middle aged, with a 'bland' car. [But it has side curtain airbags, so while it might be bland, it's definitely 'safe' and reliable, which, since I'm single and middle aged is a good idea.]

BTW, I LOVE my '05 Camry ('course I've never had a Merc, so I don't know what I'm missing.)!! It's red (maroon) and has a spoiler, so it's trying to be cool. :p

Definitely cooler than it's predecessors: Galant, Civic, or college tank: Lime green, 4 door Impala. (While UGLY - I didn't have any input on it's purchase, it was a 70's gas guzzler that could REALLY move when you put your foot down. Yeah, I did 100 on the highways of NE on more than one occasion.).

I've installed an MA and an Airway side by side in it and have had two (not petite) adults ride beside the Airway, so 2 Regents outboard shouldn't be an issue. However, I don't see much hope for a 3rd person back there.

LuvBug

funny! Im only quarter aged ;) and want a camry(hybrid though). I think the camry in the past few years has gotten sportier and the newest version looks just like my corolla sport!!

Its the taurus that makes me feel that way, its just so long and round lol!

Morganthe

In the last couple of years, I think Toyota has been trying to get out of the "Bland but good" and add a little pizzazz to their line. I don't have side curtain air bags, so other than 2 front ones, I'm living on the edge :p It's maroon too, like so many others out there of the same year. I lose my car all the time in the parking lot!

Perhaps the reason I feel so bloomin old in this car is that it's my first automatic transmission. Every single car I've had before this has been a manual. Even the putt-putt 1981 Olds Omega sedan could get a little oomph with its 4spd. With the Toyota, I feel like I'm only there for steering and braking. It corners like a tank. But I do feel safe! :) I think I'd still feel just as safe with another model and make that is highly rated too.

Best of luck to your sister to find the 'right' car for her :)

skaterbabs

If it helps the OP, I got an acceptable install with LATCH in a 2005/2006 Cobalt a friend was renting. Her 5 yo has a Husky. I probably could have gotten an even better installation, but it was cold (last winter) and we had a trio of 2 yos running around. lol

melaniev

how about a volvo? or have they gone downhill since being bought out? maybe im getting old, but growing up i was always told they were the "safest".

inezyv

She loves Volvos, but she's concerned about reliability, maintenance costs, etc.

Is a "cobalt" a car? I never heard of one.

skaterbabs

The Cobalt is Chevy's newest economy compact car, it replaced the Cavalier and it's TINY. Absolutely adorable though, and gets great gas milage. Don't recall if it had LATCh in all three rear positions, but since I couldn't fit a Marathon and two Turbo Boosters in the back, I doubt it.

We're going to take another look it for my main vehicle now that the boys have grown some - they're starting to pass the 5 Step Test in most small cars, and so not being able to fit a MA and 2 boosters isn't an issue. Plus it would be nice to not have a 1st generation airbag and Gen3 seatbelts.... :rolleyes:

flipper68

Senior Community Member
But it's NEW and it's hers. :) [Just close your eyes and relish that new car smell.]

BTW, does it have side impact/curtain airbags? I'm not sure which Toyota package has them. They're in the Camry I bought last fall because, ironically, I didn't want a beige interior. :p The grey interior vehicle the dealer found happened to have the additional airbags.

inezyv

I know, I know. I don't know about the safety features, she had it delivered to her house this morning. Her accountants handled the purchase and she didn't even have to go to the dealership. Sigh.

Morganthe

They're in the Camry I bought last fall because, ironically, I didn't want a beige interior. :p The grey interior vehicle the dealer found happened to have the additional airbags.

Yesterday I finally put my finger on why I"m so ho hum about my Camry. It has a beige interior. I've always preferred grey. It's so beige that I have a hard time remembering that the exterior is actually a deep Maroon color. In addition, the beige blends in with the Texas landscape that in summer & winter is also BEIGE! If I knew how beige everything was, I think I would have taken a chance on some of the innumerable wierd GREEN shades of cars on the Euro market and brought one over here just for an escape from bland colors :eek:

Too bad she didn't get a Volvo, Sis could have done the spiel from "The Rock". I drive a Volvo. It's Beige! :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC