Safe Stop

scoutingbear

Okay...another question about the RN safe stop. I know it is for under 40 pounds when installed with the seatbelt (and top tether?). What exactly does it do? I am thinking I will have to go out in the heat and wrestle seats around again because I didn't put it on when I installed the RN for C in the middle seat...what if I just undo the top tether for the time being? Ugh! Took me 20 min yesterday to get the RN and GN independently tight next to each other in my Highlander and I'm not looking forward to redoing it just to put on the safe stop. Unfortunately, A & C are almost but not quite on the same harness slots to have them just switch seats.

ADS
Oh wait you don't need it when installed with latch? I better read up on that, cause I had my radian installed ffing with seatbelt and safe stop for Fiona, then I reinstalled it later on with latch but didn't think to remove the safestop... It is off now cause she is rfing again cause she is in an 80 right now.. lmk I hope I haven't screwed up.

scoutingbear

Safestop has to be used when top tethering whether or not with latch or with seatbelt (I'm pretty sure I have this right). I guess it is more of a WWYD...take off the top tether or go wrestle seats again in the heat?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
No, no, don't untether it. Don't worry at all. It's like the sprinkles on the icing of the cake of safety for kids under 40 pounds. The cake is the seat and the icing being the tether, lol. It' might be a teeny little bit safer if you add the safestop, but a good install and top tethering are really the important parts.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
No, no, don't untether it. Don't worry at all.

Really? I don't want to be contrary, :eek: but the manual doesn't indicate at all that it's optional. I know it's a pain, but I would reinstall with the tether and Safe Stop. :shrug-shoulders: :twocents:

SafeStop.jpg

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Sorry Jools, I have to agree with Unity on this one that the Safe Stop is important if the seat is top tethered. Dave was so clear on using it until a child is definitely and consistently over 40lbs that I just wouldn't be ok not using it with a kid definitely under 40lbs. It's performing an important role and I suspect that because the Radian does have lower head excursion #'s that there are too high of increased neck loads on lighter children in the absence of the safe stop. I know the very very first radians in the US didn't have the safe stop - but I believe they subsequently mailed it out? (Canadian radians have always had them so far as I know.)

I agree with you though that I wouldn't untether it. I think the benefits are worth another 20 min fight. :eek:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I guess it depends on one's manual. Since my seat didn't even HAVE a Safestop and did fine and passed testing to get to market... well...methinks it's fine. But I didn't get the idea the OP was going to redo the install, just to unhook the top tether, which to me would be a bad idea.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If they were dangerous top tethered without the Safestop, they would have had to have issued a recall. They never did. :confused:

But I concede, if your manual is full of all those red warnings, you're in for some installation fun all over again :(.

Maedze

I had one of newer Radians I think, and IIRC it came with a SS. Jools, you naughty girl, did you get your hands on a prototype? :whistle:

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Julie is correct - the first US Radians did not have a SafeStop device. The next batch had SafeStops but they were rated to 48 lbs. Then there was a recall in Canada because the seats exceeded head excursion limits with the original SafeStop device so it was tweaked. There was never a recall in the US so American consumers were told that it was okay to use the old SafeStop device up to 48 lbs if you had one of those. However, all Radians after that had the newer devices and those were only rated to 40 lbs.

Ideally, the SS device should be added because the manufacturer requires it for children under 40 lbs who are FF. However, I would never recommend unhooking a tether strap - ever. I know what it's like to wrestle with a Radian and I don't blame the OP for not wanting to repeat that performance but unhooking the tether isn't a good solution.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Julie is correct - the first US Radians did not have a SafeStop device. The next batch had SafeStops but they were rated to 48 lbs. Then there was a recall in Canada because the seats exceeded head excursion limits with the original SafeStop device so it was tweaked. There was never a recall in the US so American consumers were told that it was okay to use the old SafeStop device up to 48 lbs if you had one of those. However, all Radians after that had the newer devices and those were only rated to 40 lbs.

I think the 40lb change on US Safe stops came at around the same time as the Radian was brought to Canada. The SS has always had a 40lb max limit in Canada. You're right that it was recalled though and tweaked slightly - I think a more tightly woven elastic was used since the SS is basically just a really tight (wide) elastic. I have no clue why they recalled the ones in Canada though and not the US ones. I've always wondered about that... unless maybe we had a different one being shipped than the ones being shipped with US seats. :shrug-shoulders:

scoutingbear

Grumble grumble grumble. I'll pull out the seat in the morning and quick switch with the MA until I have time to wrestle again (didn't go back in the car today after I realized I didn't put the safe stop on when the kids switched seats and I redid the harnesses). 5 y/o broke his wrist this afternoon so I don't think I want the boys next to each other in the car anymore until we are babysitting in a couple weeks! The 2 year old can grumble about going back in the MA for a while.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Grumble grumble grumble. I'll pull out the seat in the morning and quick switch with the MA until I have time to wrestle again (didn't go back in the car today after I realized I didn't put the safe stop on when the kids switched seats and I redid the harnesses). 5 y/o broke his wrist this afternoon so I don't think I want the boys next to each other in the car anymore until we are babysitting in a couple weeks! The 2 year old can grumble about going back in the MA for a while.

Hugs & Speedy Recovery Vibes for DS! And I wouldn't worry about the Radian the way it is right now. It's not UNsafe to use the seat without the SafeStop temporarily until you have time to add it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC