Question Temporary resident in BC - ok to bring/use seat bought in UK?

U

Unregistered

Hello

Husband and I will be living in Vancouver for a year from June, with our 13 month old. She is currently still RF (up to 13kg) but need to buy a FF soon. I have my eye on the Kiddie Pro which is a German make which scored highest in the "Which?" Report safety ratings.
Would I be exempt from the CVMSS requirement as we will only be temporary residents in Canada?

TIA, Allyson

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
At 13 months, it's much too soon for your DD to be forward-facing. Safest to keep them rear-facing until minimum of 2 years of age, 3 is even better. The current recommendation is to rear-face kids to the limits of their convertible seat and in Canada we have seats that rear-face to 35 pounds (~16kg).

Visitors to Canada don't need a CMVSS approved car seat, but residents of Canada do. So, I would think because you are actually going to be considered a resident here, that you will need a CMVSS approved child restraint. Will you be getting a Canadian driver's license, SIN card, etc.?

Will your DD fit in her current RF seat until you leave for Canada? If so, you could continue to use it and then once you arrive here, pick up a 35 pound RF convertible seat. After you use it for a year, you could sell it before you return to the UK. We have 4 options for 35 pound RF seats right now (thanks April for telling me about the Scenera. If I've missed anything else, let me know!):

The First Years True Fit (goes on sale at Zellers for $149)
Sunshine Kids Radian XT ($329.99)
Cosco Alpha Omega (the new one RF to 35 pounds, I am not sure of the price on this one)
Cosco Scenera (manufactured after Dec. 23/08)

The True Fit and Radian XT then forward-face to 65 pounds. Not sure of the forward-facing weight limit of the Alpha Omega. The Scenera forward-faces to 40 pounds (am I right on this everyone?).

Last edited:

Jennee

At 13 months, it's much too soon for your DD to be forward-facing. Safest to keep them rear-facing until minimum of 2 years of age, 3 is even better. The current recommendation is to rear-face kids to the limits of their convertible seat and in Canada we have seats that rear-face to 35 pounds (~16kg).

Visitors to Canada don't need a CMVSS approved car seat, but residents of Canada do. So, I would think because you are actually going to be considered a resident here, that you will need a CMVSS approved child restraint. Will you be getting a Canadian driver's license, SIN card, etc.?

Will your DD fit in her current RF seat until you leave for Canada? If so, you could continue to use it and then once you arrive here, pick up a 35 pound RF convertible seat. After you use it for a year, you could sell it before you return to the UK. We have 3 options for 35 pound RF seats right now (someone can correct me if I am wrong):

The First Years True Fit (goes on sale at Zellers for $149)
Sunshine Kids Radian XT ($329.99)
Cosco Alpha Omega (the new one RF to 35 pounds, I am not sure of the price on this one)

The True Fit and Radian XT then forward-face to 65 pounds. Not sure of the forward-facing weight limit of the Alpha Omega.

when i got my alpha omega it was around $150 at walmart. we might have got it cheaper on roll back

Jennee

oh and i think the alpha omega goes up to 40 inches and 40 lbs forward facing. i know its 40 inches anyway and its too small for us.

Evolily

I really think the kiddie pro's design is interesting, and if I had to forward face a little one I would probably prefer that design (energy absorbing shield) to a 5 point harness. Honestly, though, I would prefer much to keep a 13 month old rearfacing.

I am not sure what your options are when it comes to bringing a seat or buying in Canada legally, but if you can bring a european make seat I would look at something like the Britax Multitech, a swedish rear facing seat that can be used for extended rear facing (rearfaces until the child is between 4 and 6). I believe you can use Swedish seats legally in the UK?

Good luck!

mom1mg

Just me thinking out loud-
What do you think about the kiddie pro? I thought sheild seats were considered dangerous because the child will smack into it. (Maybe that is just a Canadian sentiment though?) Also what's with no harness - how do you think it would do in a roll-over accident. Even the promotional clip with the cartoon looks like the child could come out the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-dhlo2wqKY

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
oh and i think the alpha omega goes up to 40 inches and 40 lbs forward facing. i know its 40 inches anyway and its too small for us.
I just read on another thread that the new Alpha Omega goes to 50 pounds forward-facing. Hopefully someone who knows for certain can confirm. Perhaps they've changed the height limit as well? Regardless, you don't have to go by the height they provide, what you have to go by is shoulders with respect to harness (if shoulders are over top harness slot, the seat is outgrown) or the ear (if tips of ears are over top of seat shell, the seat is outgrown).

lenats31

I think there is a high risk that an EU seat will be confiscated and destroyed by customs in Canada. I would go for a Canadian seat that RF s to 35 lbs.:)

Lena

U

Unregistered

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I think I will do what TechnoGranola suggests and get one out there. As we're only going to have 1 vehicle the seat may need to move around a bit - to grandparents, aunt/uncles, friends cars etc and as DD will only use for a year I don't want to spend a lot.

So between the two "cheaper" seats, which do you think is easier to install?

The First Years True Fit
OR
Cosco Alpha Omega

I'm not sure why the UK is so backwards sometimes - I do want to keep DD RF for as long as poss - just not done so much here and not many higher weight RF to choose from - most of my friends moved their kids FF from 9 months!

pramaholic

Hi just wanted to add, that it also depends on the vehicle you will be driving, and where your insurance is coming from. If you will be driving a Canadian vehicle, and have insurance in Canada, then your carseats MUST be Canadian. Its like a dual resident of Canada and the US, they would need US carseats in a US vehicle and US insurance (if driving that car in Canada), but if they were driving their Canadian car, with Canadian insurance, then they would need to put Canadian carseats in that vehicle. I hope that helps!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC